Skip to main content

Fuel Delivery Tanks.

More
13 years 11 months ago #24438 by HeyCharger
Replied by HeyCharger on topic Re: Fuel Delivery Tanks.

Lucky you didn't decide to become a pilot ! :o :o :o :o

Believe me, In the golden (early) years, aviation had similar "liberties" and "discretion" ;)

Proud owner of;
1948 Massey Harris 44K.
1946 Ford Semi-Trailer Bus.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 11 months ago #24439 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Fuel Delivery Tanks.

Slos peed
Gudday M8

Nice find with th@ stiker

But might B a bit modern

May B a stiker with this ol art work could do (circa 1960)

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #24440 by geoffa
Replied by geoffa on topic Re: Fuel Delivery Tanks.

Thank you to everyone for your interest. The sign on the end of the tanks was the Neptune Trident as shown on this Neptune Log Book. It was just the 'fork' within the white outline. No words. It was a sticker about 15 inches by 15 inches.

Naturally I don't expect to be able to buy new ones as Shell stopped marketing Neptune branded products in the 1970's. I expect if I contacted the Shell Oil Company and asked about the Neptune Oil Company, some young university graduate executive would say, " I don't know what you are talking about, that was before I was born ".

All the territory managers, sales reps, office staff that were working for Neptune in the 1960's when I was an agent would be long retired or gone to the big terminal in the sky.

I have enlarged the picture and made a scaled up required size drawing of the sign. I plan to cut the signs out of white contact vinyl or plastic. (or whatever that stuff is). Hopefully we will be able to store the tanks under cover and out of the weather. My son picked a set of the original oil company supplied stands for these types of tanks from a retired oil company agent in Canowindra yesterday. The tanks he had were long gone.

Just as a matter of interest the Neptune Oil Company was started in the early 1900's by the Kitchen Family and was sold to the Royal Dutch-Shell Group in 1926.

Geoff.
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by geoffa.

13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #24441 by
Replied by on topic Re: Fuel Delivery Tanks.
Geoff - I came across this interesting pic yesterday. It shows what appears to be a KS-5 Inter and semi-trailer, fitted up as a Neptune truck, outside a Shell depot in W.A. (probably Fremantle).

The picture is dated 23rd Dec 1954 .. and what I find interesting, is that the Neptune signage has no sign of the trident anywhere, on this date.
All of the Neptune signage on the outfit is just plain wording - no corporate symbols of any kind.
I find this interesting, because ..

A. The Neptune Trident either must have been added as a company logo, later in the 1950's .. or the company deemed it unnecessary on their truck and tank signage when this truck was painted.
In the era when great emphasis was placed on readily-recognisable trade mark symbols, by oil companies, I find this rather curious.

B. The Trident appeared boldly on all the Neptune signage, decals, pumps, trucks, and tanks, that I recall, in the 1960's.
The father of a local bulldozing contractor associate, was a Neptune agent in a little town called Wickepin, in W.A., in this period .. and I remember the Neptune Trident being quite prominent on his truck and equipment.

Sorry about the picture quality, I had to blow it up by about 150%, as the original was quite small.
The writing along the side of the semi says "Neptune Motor Oils".

More
13 years 6 months ago #24442 by scratcha
Replied by scratcha on topic Re: Fuel Delivery Tanks.
Geoff, your posts about the Neptune co rang a chord with me, i had a look in the shed at some stuff I rescued from the family service station/ depot in Mansfield vic.

what do you know, Stock transfer sheets for bulk fuels

for the shell co of aus or Neptune oil co, says cross out which is not applicable.

if I new how to scan, i will post up a photo.

form looks to be dated 7/73.

If swishy dont mind, I might drop it of at his yard, he seems better at these things than me. Its just down the road.

I have a few other forms and sheets from shell, but newer.

if you want them there yours ( but i gotta warn you, im an unreliable poster) ::)

send me a email , ( im working nights at the minute) jeff.w.smith@hotmail.com

1418 Benz now really impressing the bride :-)

More
13 years 6 months ago #24443 by scratcha

More
13 years 6 months ago #24444 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: Fuel Delivery Tanks.
Scratcha, very close to a picture post, next time click on the IMG code when it appears copy that and past it into your post... do a preview and it will all be there.

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
13 years 6 months ago #24445 by scratcha

More
13 years 6 months ago #24446 by scratcha
thank sarge ;)

More
11 years 7 months ago #24447 by geoffa
Replied by geoffa on topic Re: Fuel Delivery Tanks.
Here is a photo of my newly painted Neptune fuel delivery tanks complete with signage. They are on original genuine tank stands as supplied to the agents by the oil companies in the 1960's. A big change from the old rusty yellow tanks I found two years ago.

Geoff.

Time to create page: 0.490 seconds