Skip to main content

WTB: Dodge AT4 dropside tipper

More
9 months 4 weeks ago #246421 by Inter-Action
There is another one. Clearing sales. Collectors section. I know it's a bit far away for you. But. Parts maybe??
The following user(s) said Thank You: lemmiwinks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 months 4 weeks ago #246424 by 180wannabe
I have a tidy 13' x 8' x 5' (2' dirt sides + 3' grain extensions) LM drop side tip body surplus to my requirements. Full 34" sub frame with good telescopic hoist, oil tank, and valve all still plumbed up, complete except for pump. Very shallow 8" hoist well. Removed from an Acco.

Again, a bit far away for you, but an option if you happen to find the right cab/chassis.

Brett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, lemmiwinks

More
9 months 4 weeks ago #246427 by lemmiwinks
Thanks everyone. Ironically, despite searching repeatedly I think I'm onto one which I must have missed previously. Not exactly local but it looks like exactly what I'm after (fingers crossed). Price is good too.

Tossing up between buying sight unseen or driving 11/12 hour round trip to check it out in person. Will depend on how much the freight quote comes back at I guess.

I'm guessing brake pedal on the floor = shot master cylinder?
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
9 months 4 weeks ago #246428 by 180wannabe
Definitely easiest if you can find a truck that ticks all the boxes as is, rather than having to put something together from parts all over the country.

I'd strongly suggest you go look before you commit to buying, things always look better in photos than in reality. Going to have a look will be the cheapest part of the whole exercise, plus if it doesn't end up being what you want, it will give you something to compare the next truck with.

If the brakes aren't working there is a fair chance there has been a failure (leak) in the system somewhere, either the master cylinder or a wheel cylinder, to have let the brake fluid out.

Brett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, wee-allis, lemmiwinks

More
9 months 4 weeks ago #246429 by PaulFH
The dropside tippers were popular with shire councils, so should be a few about.
The 318 V8 possibly the best choice for parts availability and reasonable economy.
Good luck, hope you find the right one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, lemmiwinks

More
9 months 4 weeks ago #246430 by Gryphon

Tossing up between buying sight unseen or driving 11/12 hour round trip to check it out in person. Will depend on how much the freight quote comes back at I guess.

If you put up a general location of the vehicle you might find someone on here more local to the vehicle that might offer to take a look and maybe save you the drive.

All the usual disclaimers like all care and no responsibility apply. :)

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH, lemmiwinks

More
9 months 4 weeks ago #246431 by Inter-Action
Quite often works out that the easiest and cheapest part of this old vehicle/restoration etc is the purchase price. I have 2 old Inters
and the price of sleeving cylinders and shoes and machining drums can run into a couple of thousand. And that's not counting the
vacuum booster. So like 180 said it's not always the cheapest truck end's up the best deal. Also getting an old truck through rego inspection. At least the one in Bendigo is a runner and able to be drive home ,if you can afford the petrol. You have to be prepared to travel, ask for more photos before even heading of. To re build a bench seat $1,500 if your lucky. Lots of investigation needed.
Don't hold back asking lots of questions and getting more photos. If it has been a farm truck get photos of under the truck , and check the super hasn't got into the springs and chassis components. Dave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH, lemmiwinks

More
9 months 4 weeks ago #246433 by 180wannabe
By pure coincidence, my neighbor messaged me this morning, wanting to sell his 1974 Dodge D5N-600 drop side tipper. 318 V8, 5x2 trans, always shedded.

Again, a long way away from you, but PM me if you want info.

Brett.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lemmiwinks

More
9 months 4 weeks ago #246437 by lemmiwinks
Thanks gentlemen. Have bit the bullet and jumping in the car zero dark thirty tomorrow for a big road trip.

There is an Inter AA180 "just" up the road that's running and driving BUT, it's a 6 (albeit a rebuilt six) and the interior is real bad - bench seat is gone, no door cards etc. The one I'll be looking at tomorrow looks to have a good interior - the door cards are there (at least on the passengers side) and the bench seat is in pretty good shape. Plus V8, 5 speed with a 2 speed diff!

Cost of transport is equal to the asking price of the truck, but if it works out, I'll have this truck at my place for the same money as they're asking for the Inter up the road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
9 months 4 weeks ago #246439 by JOHN.K.
Always shedded is what you want .......finding a Dodge PTO pump may not be tht easy ,so a complete tipper setup will for sure save a lot of time and money.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, lemmiwinks

Time to create page: 0.472 seconds