Skip to main content

2 stroke emergency stops???

More
10 years 11 months ago #118073 by bigcam
4 strokes with a dodgy govenor will too or another fuel source.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #118074 by Beaver

G'day

Being a new bloke to all things deisel and 2 strokes for that matter what maintainence items are there that I can do to prevent such drama???

Like just about every bloke that's bought a truck I can't really afford to learn the hard way!

My old mans been in the railways for over 35 years as an electricle engineer. I remember as I kid going to the sth dynon workshops and being in love with sound of the a/b class locos. I believe they have 110 series detroits in them. Funny how some 15-20 years later I've got my own Detroit 2stroke cause mainly I love the noise.

Speaking of which, what's the easiest way to post a video??

Cheers

The B and S class locos had 16 cyl 567 engines (8.5"x 10"), the smaller T class had 8 cyl versions.
The sound of these running at their maximum 835 rpm with a full load behind is absolute bliss.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
10 years 11 months ago #118075 by Swishy
Dad
Gudday M8
Ifn U can get your movies to Youtube then U can paste m on the 4M

;)

;D

;)

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
10 years 11 months ago #118076 by Blackduck59
Any diesel can "runaway" with a fuel source.
Certain Toyotas back in the 80's had a crankcase breather going into the intake manifold, hot running engine with a bit of blow by and away they went. New rings anyone?
Detroits, particularly turbo units will take of with a failed blower drive shaft as per earlier post or a stripped govenor shaft. The govenor see low RPM and goes to max fuel.
All engines used in hazardous areas have a positive intake shut off.
And I agree with the sound of a runaway, both big ones I have been around were 12V71's, 1st incorrectly fitted govenor cover and the other strip splines on the carrier weights in the govenor

10 years 11 months ago #118077 by
Replied by on topic Re: 2 stroke emergency stops???

Pfft. Nobody would EVER pull the emergency stop, by mistake. That would be just TOO dumb. Wouldn't it, Browny?.....Browny? Ya there Browny??????

Richard

noticed Browny's been a bit quite on this topic, think the boiler must be full of steam still.

Trevor

More
10 years 11 months ago #118078 by geoffb

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #118079 by fageol100
This advert must date from the late 1950s when General Motors started selling Detroit Diesel 71 series engines to other truck manufacturers. Before this they were only available in GMC trucks. I think automotive 6.71 engines were originally rated at 165 horsepower, by the late 1940s, I think they were out to 200 horsepower, and then sometime in the 1950s went to 225 horsepower. In New Zealand there were Dart trucks supplied to the State Coal Mines Department in the late 1940s-early 1950s, and six Pacific loggers supplied to the Kaingaroa Logging Company in 1954 that had GM 6.71 engines. These trucks would be allowed to be fitted with GM diesels because they were basically off-highway trucks and as such wouldn't have competed with anything GMC was building at the time.
[IMG
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by fageol100.

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #118080 by Kenworth_10x6
Always generating plenty of discussion!

I'm not sure if this deserves a new thread but a good link on were the GM 2 cycle began. A lot of interesting info, development from a time when there were no computers or calculators. It is about the rail development of the GM engine but shows all that was involved with the 2 cycle development. The 567 is just a bigger version of the truck engines. This engine continued on to the 645 and now presently the 710 engine. 710 cui per pot, available in 8, 12, 16 and 20 cylinder versions. Even stranger, now CATERPILLAR owns the engine.

www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35027

:)
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by Kenworth_10x6.

More
10 years 11 months ago #118081 by Bobsboy
So the Screamer is actually, now a CAT engine?

I don't know if everybody is going to be to pleased to hear that.

[smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=bath.gif] [smiley=embarassed.gif] [smiley=engel017.gif]

-b

Mucking about on the edge

Time to create page: 0.485 seconds