Skip to main content

Kenny roof mount air intakes

More
9 years 7 months ago #149010 by theroadbossman
Depends on engine but can be either 6" or 7" :)

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #149011 by dieseldog

...Billy, the start of the T600 program dictated no two stroke diesels.. and it's amazing to know just how much more air those two strokes needed as compared to a series 60 or Cummins....

The flow figures for an 8V92TA are in the neighbourhood of 12-1300 CFM, and about 1100 CFM for a comparable Series 60 or Cummins.

Interestingly, the exhaust flow rates for the same engines are reasonably similar at around 3000 CFM, with the 8V92TA topping out at around 3500 CFM.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
9 years 7 months ago #149012 by Swishy
DD

Air iz Freee

LOL
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
9 years 7 months ago #149013 by theroadbossman
DD:
8V92T @ 1610cfm intake and 3881cfm exhaust is the largest automotive we have on record (except of course for 12v or 16v's) :)

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

• Topic Author
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #149014 by
Replied by on topic Re: Kenny roof mount air intakes
...had a chat with an ol' mate today and he well remembers the RH inboard roof intake 8-) 8-)

...he also remembers that they started putting them outboard...still Cummins and RH side only...and reckoned the outboard one looked a bit ugly in comparison...

..... They never had them on the very early Bayswater natural Detroit cabovers, and apparently only really came about for that engine when the 8V71 T was introduced...in around 1975

More
9 years 7 months ago #149015 by crackers
sign wrote and scrolled about 100 cabovers of lewingtons in my days with the air cleaner tubes on the roof and aerofoils i remember well had to get up on top of the roof with a 9 sixteen ring spanner and socket unbolt the roof kit and slide it down the back of the 2 air cleaner tubes

More
9 years 7 months ago #149016 by crackers
o and they had 2x 892 gms and the rest were 400 cummins

More
9 years 7 months ago #149017 by dieseldog

DD:
8V92T @ 1610cfm intake and 3881cfm exhaust is the largest automotive we have on record (except of course for 12v or 16v's) :)

Just bear in mind, I'm talking about comparable engines of that era- 400 odd HP, turbocharged and aftercooled, and of course most popular in that era.

The straight turbo engines require more air flow for the same oxygen, as they heat the charge. Hot air is less dense, which means less oxygen content.

More
9 years 7 months ago #149018 by dieseldog
I wonder if the cabover intake design was trying to position the intakes close to where a W models intake position is?

As another thought, I have often wondered how waterproof the under cab air cleaner drum was, sitting right behind the front wheel.

• Topic Author
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #149019 by
Replied by on topic Re: Kenny roof mount air intakes
...hello blokes .. a little off track, but a little bit of investigative stuff was done and found that the first 8V71T cabover Kenny sold in Australia was delivered to M Rae 26/3/1973 8-) 8-)

...also just for interests sake, the VERY first Aussie Kenworth 8V71T was a W Model for Trial Bay Haulage...delivered 3/1/1973 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Time to create page: 0.487 seconds