Skip to main content

Kenny roof mount air intakes

• Topic Author
9 years 7 months ago #148990 by
Replied by on topic Re: Kenny roof mount air intakes
...that pic of the early Transwest 8X4 shows the intake up beside the aircon...they must've moved 'em outboard at a later date....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 7 months ago #148991 by jeffo
The other concern was exhaust soot, another reason to separate intake and exhaust as far as possible.
Not too many Inter Transtars stayed with the factory arrangement which looked good, but was very prone to ingesting exhaust fumes.

• Topic Author
9 years 7 months ago #148992 by
...i s'pose the inboard mounted air intakes had to be moved eventually as the inception of the roof airfoil became a more accepted thing...

...jeeez .. they crammed a few things up there for a while!...

More
9 years 7 months ago #148993 by grumpy
SPOT ON DETECTA
Finemores had the first KW to have a factory fitted air-foil. It had the standard air intake up the back of the cab. There was a noticeable effect and also unusual air intake resonance during the road test. Engineering got straight onto the problem and went for an air intake design that was used on trucks that were specced for heavy/extreme duty. From memory, all trucks built at that stage, for heavy/extreme duty or road train work, had the forward mounted air intakes.

More
9 years 7 months ago #148994 by dieseldog
I always thought that it was simply because the air was cleanest coming straight off the windscreen.

The air swirling behind the cab would have brought the dust up from the front wheels, through the chassis and straight into the standard air intakes.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
9 years 7 months ago #148995 by Swishy
Twaz a Bulletin many years ago from KW about all cabs will have a HD reinforced cab roof
frame to mount all D stuff uptop az the fibre glass needed back up n support

IfnU get my drift
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
9 years 7 months ago #148996 by grumpy
Even though the air intake cleared the cab roof, there was still an updraft caused from the back of the cab.

Those cabs weren't very aerodynamic, so there must have been a low pressure area there somewhere behind the cab that would suck in all the dust and crap. Also if the rubber seal doo-hickey at the top of the air cleaner housing was a bit suss, they would suck in a lot of crap thrown up off the road.

A lot of guys used to complain about the position of the air cleaner housing too ... right behind the RHS front wheel.
First attempt at the roof reinforcing were a couple of bits of RHS fibre-glassed to the underside of the roof, not real big in size, coz if it was, the roof lining wouldn't fit.

They did the same reinforcing when they fitted the old style Kysor roof mounted AC's too. Hey Phil .... were the Peterbilt cab roofs reinforced for the AC unit too?

• Topic Author
9 years 7 months ago #148997 by
...hey Grumpy .. as part of the aluminium roof structure of those mid sixties Petes, there were two longitudinal extrusions that were part of the original design riveted to the underside of the roof top sheet...

....these lined up directly with the four bolt mounts for the Kysor...and a few other aircon types i guess....

More
9 years 7 months ago #148998 by andy950
just made and fitted a set to my K100e last weekend, get some pics up when I can :D :D

More
9 years 7 months ago #148999 by geoffb
Reckon the Areo's with them up the sides look great

Time to create page: 0.560 seconds