Skip to main content

Detroit, Cummins, Cat comparison

More
9 years 5 months ago #150498 by hayseed
Newto,
I liked the bit about the 3208's did Its best at 375HP....
I Wish the couple I've ran over the years did their best at 375HP....

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #150499 by dieseldog

phooey.......so many errors in what he wrote!!!!! including calling conrods "pushrods", that add to the rotational mass!!!!...aaggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

He is kinda right, a conrod does add to the rotational mass.

More
9 years 5 months ago #150500 by newto

phooey.......so many errors in what he wrote!!!!! including calling conrods "pushrods", that add to the rotational mass!!!!...aaggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

He is kinda right, a conrod does add to the rotational mass.

yep,a conrod does,a pushrod doesn't !!!!
obviously poor proof reading.......orrrrr......he had no idea to start with??

More
9 years 5 months ago #150501 by kenny-mopar
i think he meant a 3208 is at its best when in a sunken boat ?

More
9 years 5 months ago #150502 by dieseldog
It was a good comparison for the lay person, but I thought it was a little Detroit biased (at least he has his head screwed on the right way). ;)

If you check out his biography, he is a boat "surveyor" which to me sounds like he is more of a structural guy than a mechanic.

More
9 years 5 months ago #150503 by newto
his other piece of absolute no idea crap was that detroit is the only engine to have a gear train to run accessories and that to run air compressors etc on 4 strokes you have to use belts........belt driven cummins air compressor?????......the guy has no idea and those that defend him should go look in a few workshop manuals......because he didn't!!!!!!

More
9 years 5 months ago #150504 by dieseldog

his other piece of absolute no idea crap was that detroit is the only engine to have a gear train to run accessories and that to run air compressors etc on 4 strokes you have to use belts........belt driven cummins air compressor?????......the guy has no idea and those that defend him should go look in a few workshop manuals......because he didn't!!!!!!

I think that he was pointing out that most engines, including the Cummins, have only one or maybe 2 accessory drives whereas the Detroit has 5 off the timing case alone.

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #150505 by newto

I think that he was pointing out that most engines, including the Cummins, have only one or maybe 2 accessory drives whereas the Detroit has 5 off the timing case alone.

not what he said!!!!......
he said......and I quote......
"with a 4 cycle you have to go through a lot of rigmarole setting up belt driven pumps,whereas there is a ready made pump to do whatever job you need from your Detroit.
Need an air compressor? no problem,just buy it and bolt it on.
No muss,no fuss"......end of quote!!!

so with your detroit buy whatever air compressor you want...bendix,midland,wabco,holset...it will just bolt straight on...no muss,no fuss....easy really.....and good luck bolting up whatever you like!!
but if you have a 4 stroke....ooops....muss and fuss....it is obviously belt driven!!!

the guy has no idea......go back and read his crap in its entirety....then go and look at his previous published works which have nothing to do with diesels......

and how the hell he got to comparing a cat 3208 to either an 8v71 or 8v92 i have no idea!

same as he comments on a cummins QSM which is just a glorified industrial M11 with late model electronics....which the 8V71 doesn't have.......so thats not a fair comparison either way!

anyway.....wasted enough time on this....believe what you want......the guy is a goombie with no idea!!!!!

and after all that spray.......please explain to me where the 5 gear driven accessory drive points are on the rear of a detroit....!!!
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by newto.

More
9 years 5 months ago #150506 by Chocs
C'mon Newto...
Back off each cam =2
Side of each cam gear =2
rear of blower drive =1

Not really sure why they need all that junk?
All those cogs wizzin around absorbing what little stamina that was there to start with..

Proper motor has all that gear 'ready to roll'.
Basically as standard equipment....

Long live the mighty Cummins!

chocs 8-)

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
9 years 5 months ago #150507 by Swishy

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Time to create page: 0.472 seconds