Skip to main content

our beloved forum is too sanitised

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #157511 by bparo
Personally I have no problems with jokes. I also think Ray hit it on the head.

If you sit in a pub, or round a fire and the jokes go back and forth the intent is clear and if someone is getting a bit 'precious' (for the want of a better word) it is immediately obvious and action can be taken to ensure they understand its a joke. It doesn't always work and that's one of the ways fights start in pubs.

Also if you are joking with mates in a pub or campfire then there is an expectation that the conversation is private - even if people can overhear it.

The problem with written word on a forum, facebook or elsewhere is that you can't tell if someone is getting 'precious' and the expectation is that what you are saying is public and anybody can comment on it (or be offended by it).

I am not saying I agree that it should be like this, just reporting the way it is.

for example there was an incident on the club facebook site where a Volvo owner put up a photo of a Volvo at the lead of a group of trucks doing heavy haulage with the comment 'The mighty Volvo leading the way', this lead to the usual rubbishing such as ' that's because it's on a bar being pushed', 'the chassis isn't strong enough to take the weight - put it further back and you have a stretched Volvo' etc. A person then actually got abusive and threatened legal action as the photo had been taken by his dad of his dad's truck (not the person that shared the photo on the HCVC Facebook group). We pointed out that we were a group of friends with old trucks having a laugh and he just got more abusive. Unfortunately this clown is the sort of person that destroys these things for everybody.

Those on the Vintage Trucks Australia Facebook site will see that it has become more serious over time too.

Society's attitudes have changed. I still remember hearing about the Challenger space shuttle blowing up as I turned the car off to walk into work. I hadn't got to my desk when someone asked "What does NASA stand for? Need Another Seven Astronauts!" but these days its all horror and tragedy - the fun has gone.

These are just some personal observations.

One of the directions we were given at the start is the club wants it to be family friendly we can joke around but make sure its the sort of thing you would like your kids or grandkids to see.

Most of the complainers about the jokes have left and forced others out with them. Lets not let them win by destroying the forum

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #157512 by
...I just reckon .......... the PC on the forum here and get back to tin tacks and who WE are as Australians....new and old (and FWIW bugger the rest!!)
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by hayseed.

• Topic Author
9 years 2 weeks ago #157513 by
First of all I would like to agree with Paul .
Remember fellas you all had a lot to say about the way the forum was run and now that it has been tighten up a bit you dont like it the best thing you blokes can do is keep your mouths shut case somthing else gets changed. Dave

• Topic Author
9 years 2 weeks ago #157514 by
...wasn't me bitchin' about how the forum was Dave...i've always liked it just the way it is/was...the whingers have left... and left a trail of destruction behind 'em

• Topic Author
9 years 2 weeks ago #157515 by
Gees you talk a of BULL ..... have look back and your name pops up lot and you have a lot to say also .Dave

• Topic Author
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #157516 by
....they can go and bother some other poor bugger....cheers to all :) :)
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by hayseed.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #157517 by Bobsboy

...buggered if I'll watch idly and see the forum get lost by its own moral compass...and you wont see me agitating to get rid of things sacred to the forum, but you WILL see me agitating for some looser reigns, a bit of a swear word now and then, and good, old fashioned rib-tickling amongst a bunch of blokes who know the game of give and take...aye! :) :)

Hi,
I hear what 'tective is saying.

We have swung a lot to the "family friendly" side of things of late and are playing very polite and nice with each other, but don't forget,
a lot of personal feelings have been hurt and much public blood spilt. :'(

We,(as a Forum) have all been bruised by the experience.
We're healing and finding our new way.
The robust ribbing and kidding will, I am sure, return in time.

But for the moment, we have to be patient and learn to play nice as part of our 'group norm'.
We won't be woozie sooks forever.

Give it time.

cya
-b

P.S. is Swishy's Yank Peterbuilt at least a shade of "True Blue". ;)

Mucking about on the edge
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by Bobsboy.

• Topic Author
9 years 2 weeks ago #157518 by
It's good to see your willin to pull your head in Bob.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #157519 by Mairjimmy
Detective,,I think before we pull any more strips of ourselves you should put up here as you told me in the PM about the forum which you would like us to be like so we can all see where you are coming from and we might be able to disscuss what your on about [dose that make sense] at the moment most of us don't no what all the fuss is about,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ::) :o
Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #157520 by Mrsmackpaul
yeah Im lost, took a wrong turn I thought the forum had been running pretty good for the last few weeks, have I missed something ? yeah its being quite but all forums seem to be a bit that way at the moment maybe the face book thingo has taken over I dunno Im not on face book.
Man I still cant text so I reckon I would struggle with face book

I guess what I was trying to say was be careful with what you wish for reminds me of that saying about the grass being greener on the other side of the fence
We have got to the next paddock and surprise surprise the grass back home is looking pretty green again

Something else to think about if we perhaps showed a bit more restraint and understanding of other peoples thoughts and feelings there may have being a lot less problems and we would still have a busy forum

dunno all of this is just thinking out allowed and once again Im not pointing the finger at anyone just running it thru my mind as blank as it is most times :D :D :D

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Time to create page: 0.491 seconds