§

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #183857 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic QUESTION TIME
Questio 22# (i think)
Can some one explain why you should not sit batteries on concrete ?????????????????????????????

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 11 months ago #183858 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic QUESTION TIME
Now

OWT

cya

§

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
6 years 11 months ago #183863 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic QUESTION TIME
Geoff

I think this one goes with my grandmother wiping cucumber slices dry because the juice is poisonous or maybe not being able to swim for an hour after a meal because you will get cramps and sink.

Lang

More
6 years 11 months ago #183864 by ray
Replied by ray on topic QUESTION TIME
I agree with Swishy, an old wives tail. It used to be a problem many many moons ago when batteries consisted of glass jars and were encased in wooden boxes. The boxes could swell and cause the jars to break letting the acid leak out.

More
6 years 11 months ago #183868 by Southbound
Replied by Southbound on topic QUESTION TIME
Lead acid batteries work best at moderate temperatures. Batteries will naturally dis-charge over time and extended storage on cold concrete in winter time will speed up this process.

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

More
6 years 11 months ago #183869 by dno
Replied by dno on topic QUESTION TIME

geoffb wrote: Questio 22# (i think)
Can some one explain why you should not sit batteries on concrete ?????????????????????????????

Because the battery leads don't reach that far. :P

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: eerfree

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #183877 by Lang
Southbound if your argument is correct - and it could well be - the theory must also say storing them on concrete in summer will extend their life as the concrete will retain the daytime heat long after the night air temperature drops.

None of this is a problem with modern batteries — safe in their hard plastic shells. In fact, concrete is generally an excellent surface on which to place a battery bank. The electrolyte in a battery sitting on an extremely cold floor with very hot air around it could stratify, causing damage from sulfation; whereas concrete provides good thermal mass to buffer any temporarily extreme temperatures in the battery compartment.
This brings us back to your original question, where you mentioned battery bank temperature. There are multiple electrochemical reactions going on inside any battery, all the time. Some are good (storing and releasing energy), and some are bad (self-discharge, sulfation). All of these reactions happen faster when the battery is hot, and slower when it's cold.

Cold temperatures don't damage lead-acid batteries unless the battery is heavily discharged and exposed to freezing temperatures. In that [/i]case, the electrolyte (which is mostly water when the battery is at a low state of charge) can freeze and crack the case. On the other hand, a fully charged battery can withstand -30 degF or lower without a problem.

Lang
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Lang.

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #183880 by Lang
Question #23 Why did the chicken cross the road?

I have absolutely no idea but this bloke in UK has the Workplace Health Safety side of the show sorted and he has sold 1,500 of the things!

Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Lang.

More
6 years 11 months ago #184034 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic QUESTION TIME
#24 Bac laws from state to state and injunction with license endorsements ????? :whistle:

Time to create page: 0.487 seconds