Skip to main content

QUESTION TIME

More
3 years 2 months ago #218526 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic QUESTION TIME
Surely those safety cutout swiches they have to install on DG registered vehicles would completely isolate the system?? Most of the ones I had anything to do with isolated both the positive as well as the negative when installed between the battery and the main system. So, my way of thinking would be that unless you arced from the welder handpiece to the main alternator to battery lead, you should be OK??? Only takes a minute or two to remove the main lead from the output post on the rear of the alternator itself??? Dave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #218530 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic QUESTION TIME
I dont know if thats correct Dave as the earth lead of the welder is still clamped to the vehicle

I agree, about disconnecting the alternator, and yes it only takes a few minutes to unscrew the main connection and unplug the rest

What bought this question about is I'm doing a lot of welding with things supported or even hanging fro the front end loader and like always I disconnected the alternator

Some jokers laugh at me for this, until I learn better I guess I'll keep doing it, it only takes a moment and the I know it's safe for the alternator

Thanks for the replies

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Mrsmackpaul.

More
3 years 2 months ago #218554 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic QUESTION TIME
Well you can look at it this way. While you continue to carry out your work safe practise you know for certain that you will not do any damage.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
3 years 2 months ago #218562 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic QUESTION TIME
That's my thinking, thought someone may have known for sure

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
3 years 2 months ago #218565 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic QUESTION TIME
With a plasma cutter n a Mig welder we @ times grind the paint or rust away to get a good contact with the earth clamp n then put a nother clamp over the top of the spring loaded earth clamp .... or we tak weld the earth clamp to the job
coz if U aint got a good earth the current can go all round the truck / trailer lookn for the earth contact
cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
3 years 2 months ago #218569 by JMR
Replied by JMR on topic QUESTION TIME
I have never bothered disconnecting, unless you are welding on the engine block and have the earth attached to the chassis with poor grounding I don't really see how it would cause grief as you are not using the engine electrics as a conductor. although on a side note my backhoe calls for diodes installed on both sides of the solenoids for forward and reverse. the reasoning is that the induced current from the coils unloading causes pitting to the contacts on the steering column and possible alternator damage. as Paul says same as coil and points.

More
3 years 2 months ago #218585 by 77louie400
Replied by 77louie400 on topic QUESTION TIME
As a industrial Electrician and as a trade qualified welder (with a lot of gap years driving trucks), the amount of damage I have seen in factories and large workshops to switchboards and other electrical equipment by welders not taking care with earthing over the last 50 odd years would stagger you, when it comes to earthing electricity is weird shit, we will not get into voltage rise in the black wires, if I am welding around an electronics (diode are electronics), I disconnect every thing I can, disconnect is 10 time easier than replacement and 100 times cheaper
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sarge, cobbadog, Dave_64, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, Tacho, oliver1950

More
3 years 2 months ago #219283 by JMR
Replied by JMR on topic QUESTION TIME
I have been watching a heap of those Pakistani truck repairs videos where they take a write off and with an oxy, stick welder and big hammer rebuild it looking like new.
I notice that the majority of the trucks are hydraulic brakes, Is it common overseas for even a bogie drive tipper to have hydraulic rather than air brakes?

Cheers

More
3 years 2 months ago #219290 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic QUESTION TIME
Electronics are expensive to replace,so why fry them?........I recall when people would import big (ugly) Jap bogie tippers and special body trucks......always had big hydraulic brakes .....as to electronics...was hearing about frying the computer in a CNC lathe ,by TIG welding near it........seems the HF in the TIG is to blame........another interesting ,but useless fact ........the electromagnetic surge from a nuclear explosion frys solid stste (transistors ,diodes etc)...but doesnt affect glass valve (thermionic )electronics.......so the Russians used old fashioned valves to nuclear proof their weapons.

More
3 years 1 month ago #219303 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic QUESTION TIME
Nuclear blast frying electronics was standard advice during the cold war which was why the poms (and presumably other western allies duplicated all communications. They now seem to be in self denial. Don't know about Russia using valves for that reason. Before the fall of the wall there was actually a law stopping the sale of washing machines and fridges to Russia so that they couldn't get their hands on the micro chips in them for weaponry use.

Time to create page: 0.580 seconds