Skip to main content

Toyota ends

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #187863 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Toyota ends
The good thing about all this is the 3 blokes (you, me and the other bloke) left in Australia who have the slightest bit of common sense can be heroes with no effort at all.

Case in point last Sunday.

Lady doing a 3 point turn in front of our house gets car jammed in park - how? - at right angles and blocking the road. I got the garage floor jack from the shed, jacked up the front and with my 13 year old grandson pushing, got the car swung around and parked against the gutter normally while she waited for the tilt tray. Whole thing took 10 minutes.

So what you may ask. Standing nearby was a group of well dressed late 20 yupsters who proceeded to film and photo the operation on their smart phones - none of them offered to push. My 21 year old grand daughter told me that it had gone on face book under the title of something like "Aussie ingenuity saves lady" and it now had 10 million likes or thereabouts.

Really people! Get a life.

Lang
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Lang.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #187871 by Beaver
Replied by Beaver on topic Toyota ends
I used to have to deal with these Uni 'graduates". When they tried to remind me they had a degree in something, I would just tell they had a degree in reading the text books. If they couldn't relate a problem to something they had read in a book, they didn't know how to solve it.

The concept of learning and working your way up from the bottom of the work chain is long gone.

Beaver@ Museum of Fire

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 6 months ago #187872 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Toyota ends

Get back in the kitchen n make me a samich

LOL

cya

§

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
6 years 6 months ago #187873 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Toyota ends
Lang I dropped into an old sailing mate at Home Hill a month back, Mrs Mac knows Joe too, a local cane farmer.
The ingenuity that bloke and his son have developed into their farm irrigation system is really top notch.
We're forever hearing how farmers are ruining the reef from run off but their under-row irrigation, control and monitoring system is something else. They're almost eliminated tractor work, it's just not needed. Fertilizer, trace elements whatever it needs all goes down the tubes right to the roots. Power usage is also a huge issue and all pumps are monitored and controlled to make full use of off peak rates. He can phone up his farm and check moisture content, see which pump has kicked in and a heap of other functions from anywhere.
Just a farmer but pretty bloody smart, there's still a few around.

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
6 years 6 months ago #187875 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic Toyota ends
.Really wonder how we arrived at this situation.............
It certainly didn't happen in one day............
All our smart people didn't vanish suddenly.............
Maybe our wage and living conditions have got so good that a lot of people are thinking I don't have to work
to live after all.............
Plus the electronic age and all our doo dars , means a lot of people frown on manual work.........
Does the welfare mentality have a bit to play in the situation..............
It only stands to reason if we have higher wages ,etc, we have to charge more for our goods...............
I know plenty of people with bugger all.......yet they still smoke...have a heap of mobile phones..........
get someone to wash the car ,dog ,mow the lawn because they are too busy watching Foxtel and still
complain because they are not given enough by the government...........
SO, do we lay part of the blame at governments of the day.............
Or do unions play a part...............
or is this just modern thinking...............
Or is this just the way it was going to end up regardless...................
..............................Billy.............................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

More
6 years 6 months ago #187883 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Toyota ends
McManagers with KPI's which only look at savings which can be made in the current quarter - no thought of what the consequences might be in a year, let alone 5, or 10.
The company I work for didn't hire any apprentices for about 10 years - then people started falling to bits and having months off for joint surgery and / or retiring due to plain old age. At 47, I'm one of the younger blokes!
They finally hired some apprentices........

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
6 years 6 months ago #187887 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Toyota ends

asw120 wrote: McManagers with KPI's which only look at savings which can be made in the current quarter - no thought of what the consequences might be in a year, let alone 5, or 10.
The company I work for didn't hire any apprentices for about 10 years - then people started falling to bits and having months off for joint surgery and / or retiring due to plain old age. At 47, I'm one of the younger blokes!
They finally hired some apprentices........

Jarrod.

Seems to be standard thing at all loft companies for years
Its a bloody mess we are making thats for sure

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 6 months ago #187897 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Toyota ends
There is not a straight line progression from learner, experienced tradesman/worker, junior manager, senior manager.There is always an opening for a great experienced foreman who knows the job and has the respect of the men. These blokes often make hopeless managers because they do not have the wide picture outlook required to run a company. It is not just making/digging/building/repairing something but as well as the financial risk taking, answering to a board and shareholders, general budgeting, tendering, finding and keeping customers the manager has to deal with all the personnel problems, government regulations, union negotiations etc that are flicked straight from the foreman to upstairs.

There is a place for educated people to enter at the bottom management rung and learn their trade the same as a shop floor junior learns his. It may really annoy a tradesman when a young clipboard wielding white shirt comes on site and starts directing operations but they are under orders from above as well and more importantly even at the very beginning usually know more about the entire operation than Australia's best concreter/welder/truck driver and what other forces are causing perceived interference (project budget over runs, delayed supply, customers wanting changes, engineers revising calculations, competitors or government inspectors applying pressure etc etc).

I think our current problem is the kids all want to be managing director the day after they graduate. They do not have to know how to weld, welders are available anywhere for the right pay, but they must learn and know what welders/trucks/brick layers are capable of. This not only comes with experience but a certain amount comes from education. A master concreter often has no idea of what the blokes crawling about pulling wires through the ceiling are capable of and vice versa. That is the value of education, not knowing individual trades like tradesmen but learning how to coordinate all those skilled people to achieve the big result. They think they have finished learning with the degree when in fact they are just getting started.

It is the foreman's job to decide if the workmanship is up to standard and to expect the management to act on his hiring and firing advice. On a big job it would be the project manager as the senior bloke on site and these blokes (or even women) will have considerable experience and ability - or they will never get another job.

The kids are not prepared (and many are not intelligent enough) to learn their trade of management over a period of time and experience and try to throw their book learning weight around. It is very difficult for an immature kid to be told by the boss to go and organise something, dealing with people twice his age with vast experience. If he is any good, smart senior workers should be prepared to put him on the straight and narrow, point out better ways to do things etc. It is in everyone's interest that these people get knowledge for, if he is looked on as the enemy, the job will suffer, the company will suffer and everyone might be out of a job. At the very least that snot nosed junior engineer that you let stew will be the project manager over you in 5 or 10 years time with the power of life or death.

Be assured a dud junior manager will be out the gate long before a dud tradesman has worn out his welcome. Dud tradesmen delay or stuff up a small section of a job but a dud junior manager taking it upon himself to make decisions outside his skill can cause worker unrest, cost the entire project profit or even send the company bankrupt.

We all have seen incompetent management but for every poor boss you can remember I bet you can think of 10 poor workers or tradesmen. The boys on the floor grit their teeth with what they see coming out of the office but the boys in the office slash their wrists with what they see coming from the floor. A smart boss listens to his senior workers and they in turn follow directions. It is in nobody's interest to have bad workers or bad bosses and a good boss will straighten out these graduate kids from his own observations and feedback from the floor. You can't put an old head on young shoulders.

Just because you have a degree does not guarantee a future in a profession and if you can not make the grade you better start thinking of buying a lawn mowing franchise.

Rant over

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Merrick, Tacho

More
6 years 6 months ago #187899 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic Toyota ends

Lang wrote: The good thing about all this is the 3 blokes (you, me and the other bloke) left in Australia who have the slightest bit of common sense can be heroes with no effort at all.

Case in point last Sunday.

Lady doing a 3 point turn in front of our house gets car jammed in park - how? - at right angles and blocking the road. I got the garage floor jack from the shed, jacked up the front and with my 13 year old grandson pushing, got the car swung around and parked against the gutter normally while she waited for the tilt tray. Whole thing took 10 minutes.

So what you may ask. Standing nearby was a group of well dressed late 20 yupsters who proceeded to film and photo the operation on their smart phones - none of them offered to push. My 21 year old grand daughter told me that it had gone on face book under the title of something like "Aussie ingenuity saves lady" and it now had 10 million likes or thereabouts.

Really people! Get a life.

Lang

There is a park release button on the console of Toyotas, and most automatic cars.

More
6 years 6 months ago #187901 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Toyota ends
Every workplace is now altered beyond any semblance of sanity so that lazy ,self destructive individuals cant injure them selves,no matter how hard they try.Every thing must be altered to suit the dumbest kid.No longer is efficiency factored into the situation,if you want efficiency,simple,get your product made in China.

Time to create page: 0.412 seconds