Skip to main content

cyclists

More
6 years 3 months ago #190659 by roKWiz
Replied by roKWiz on topic cyclists

jeffo wrote: I don't know anyone who rode to school every day, rain or shine who has taken up riding in later life.

I have since I was 5 years old, I sat on the corner of North Rocks Rd and Pennant Hills Rd to watch trucks everyday after school and rode up Mtn Razorback from Carlingford and back when I was 13 to see the blockade.
Even later when I got into cars during my apprenticeship I took my bike with me everywhere and rode during lunchtime., 20 years later while living on the Central Coast and working in Sydney as a self employed Stonemason (yeah, lifting cutting and dragging stone around all day) I still rode home along the old Pacific Hwy through Calga/ Mt White (remember those big hills) and down Woy Woy Rd home.( 2 hours exactly from Hornsby to Phegans Bay where I lived.)
So please don't tell me how hard sitting behind someone riding a bike is for maybe 3 seconds.
Just Thursday I hand loaded and unloaded 3T of granite for a 3.2 metre high wall I'm building in Beechworth and still manage to MTB bike in the Chiltern forest when I get home.
So I get pissed off when I hear some whinging fat arse driver (car or truck) telling me I shouldn't be allowed to ride on the road.
Rules change regarding road laws get over it.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #190660 by busman
Replied by busman on topic cyclists
Hang on Rok,
I don't think anyone has a problem with some cyclists. Others, yes.
Me, I have a problem with some that I have to pass again and again, after they blatantly flout the law that yes, has changed, but only seems directed at registered vehicles.
Do you condone this, what about riding up to four abreast ?
To me it all seems a bit one sided with the minority in the winning position once again.
What is wrong with this so called democracy when that happens ?
William

84 Austral Tourmaster with 6V92 and now 7 speed Eaton-Fuller, converted to motorhome "Vanishing Point" after a favourite American movie.
3 Kw solar 800 Ah Lithium house battery pack, all engine cooling done by the sun. Water injection for hot days and hill climbs.

More
6 years 3 months ago #190661 by .RC.
Replied by .RC. on topic cyclists

PDU wrote: How often do you see members of the lycra brigade bunched up (albeit often at a reasonably fast rate for the average cyclist) as they calmly chat together totally oblivious OR unaware of other road users? :angry:

Does the two second rule not apply to cyclists? I know that is a US photo.

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #190662 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic cyclists
.When we were kids we used to do a lot of long rides on main roads..........however........
we made a point of keeping in single file around traffic areas........admittdly not to days traffic volume.........
But the Lycra brigade seem to think that getting along 4 abreast at 30 Ks amongst traffic that is doing
100Ks is ok.........simple logic would have you thinking there could be a problem...........
( as he went to the little cycle track in the sky he was saying, bugger the motorists, i say i was in the right).............
When i go for my ride on the cycle track i quite often pass Lycra clad riders on their expensive pushies.....
(going the other way of corse)
I wave or say gday.....do they acknoledge me on my entry level mountain bike???
Not at all.........99 out of 100 wont even look at me.......
Which leads me to think they are (mostly ) an arrogant bunch of pricks,,,,,,,,,,
................................Billy............................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by BillyP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600Dodge, Dave_64

More
6 years 3 months ago #190663 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic cyclists
Geoff (rockwiz),
Correct Me if I'm wrong.
But I'd imagine that you would mostly ride either alone or with your Partner,& use a fair bit of Situational Awareness whilst riding. Which is something that the vast majority of the "Lycra Brigade" seem to Lack...

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: roKWiz

More
6 years 3 months ago #190664 by roKWiz

roKWiz wrote: I
However I do agree, Roadie are the biggest D***wands and have no regard for other road users or their own safety

Did anyone read my first reply ?

Roadie are simple single minded fools, but then so are most motorist even though we a generalizing them both.
I have ridden with bunch roadie on training rides and yes bunch mentality is the normal. The reason why you may see 4 abreast is a cyclist will save 30% of their energy slipstreaming behind another rider, so when there is a group, everyone takes a 3 minute turn at the front in pairs (ie legally riding two abreast) (if Fred and Larry rode at the front all the time they would be buggered) at the end of your time at the front the peleton are legally allowed to overtake the slowing riders as they slide back in the group, hence what motorist will see is 4 abreast not two abreast. Some groups will constantly change front order so two riders are constantly overtaking two riders.
In a racing situ there is no problem but I don't like seeing it (or you) out on a training ride. Technically it is not illegal but its stupid on country roads.
I've been known to turn around after saying good morning to a roadie trak them down and yell at him..,. GOOD MORNING. The usual response is I'M TRAINING. ignorant b*****tards.

Heritage Stonemason
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D. Did

More
6 years 3 months ago #190665 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic cyclists
There's always going to be exceptions. Some may well be courteous and considerate road users, it's just that I haven't found him yet.
And there you go, I'd never met anyone who rides today after having riding through their school years, now I have Rok.
I have friends who are competitive street type cyclists and others who are just as competitive on cross country.
A niece's husband rides for Red Bull in the States making mad money on a pushy !!! He kicked off on a skate board and followed the $$$.
None rode treadlies when going to school.

More
6 years 3 months ago #190670 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic cyclists
Was trying to formulate some sort of input re the "lycra brigade" and their attitude to ALL other road users.
But, with a few simple well chosen words, Billy P has just about summed up what about 99% of other road users, be they car, truck feel about them!
For your last paragraph, Billy you have earned free entry to your own fridge for the remainder of summer!
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600Dodge

More
6 years 3 months ago #190678 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic cyclists
Don't worry about it guys. It's not a matter of "if" they have an accident, it's a matter of when.
The following user(s) said Thank You: roKWiz

More
6 years 3 months ago #190687 by roKWiz

overnite wrote: Don't worry about it guys. It's not a matter of "if" they have an accident, it's a matter of when.

Bit like truckies I guess.

Heritage Stonemason

Time to create page: 0.569 seconds