Skip to main content

Real world Acco fuel economy

More
3 years 10 months ago #211456 by Rattail 1927
Well finally got stuck in and got the brakes half working and put my new floor mat in and went to the local BP servo and topped up the old girl, while I'm filling up mr. Pold officer pulled up at the bowser behind me , I don't think he seen the tiny bead of sweat running down the side of my face, I dare not look for fear he will want all the particulars, although the little number plate was stairing him in the face ..... no eye contact all good, now where was I ? Oh that's right I filled up the old girl and took off out of town, there's 3 roads I use to go out about 25k then take a dirt road across about 8ks to another main road for 26 kms back to town, wheeled back in to the BP and nervously topped it back up , I will say at this point I could clearly see the needle on the gauge had moved , and it wasn't up either... lol , went in paid for my fuel and took off home and got on the internet and put the figures in, and bingo , I got double figures, first I used 17.5 litres for 59 km and the important one is 10.24 mpg yippee kiaa mother/:;)& , points to this is I sat on 80's kph at a steady as I could go 2500-2600 rpm , couldn't /didn't want to go any faster as the vibration of the drive line ( which I still haven't done) and as I'm cab chassis Its as light as could be..... I've no doubt any faster (forgetting the vibration) add a tray body and a spare tyre, I've no doubt I wouldn't let anyone down and guaranteed in the single figure club !!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #211457 by Mrsmackpaul
Now thats a result you gotta be pleased about
I have no idea what the best achievable result would be but I reckon 15 MPG is do able

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 10 months ago #211467 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Real world Acco fuel economy
The little ASW120 does 12 - 14 and 9.5 (!) with a big load (e.g.: something similar to it on the car trailer). This at around 55mph. 4.10 gears, so around 23-2400 revs in the 6-281.
Summing up, I think you're not doing to bad. Ford Broncos used to get 9 mpg when they were new...

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rattail 1927

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #211468 by Rattail 1927
I was a bit surprised to be honest, I got 3 miles per gallon on the way home , I haven't finished tuning it , i need plug leads and an air cleaner, the plugs and timing been done rest will Be a couple of weeks I spent my play money this week, I found a set of platinum 4236 Bosch plugs in the U.S.A Which cost a pretty penny but from all accounts the guys on binder planet reckons they the bees knees, money and time will tell, all ready paid the money ( well over $200 ) but they do up to 2x the Jd as well at the moment I still can't get over 80-85 and that vibration comes in , done some reading this morning and do some testing and see what happens , I'm happy to drive to 80-85 , I'm assuming that the more revs the more fuel , it seemed very happy at around 2500-2600 rpm (80k) (50 mph) very sweet engine note , no rumbles or screaming engine, I know they are made to sit on 3500 al day but I'd be worried not let a lone the (screaming rpm) learnt to drive in a diesel and I can't shake the 2000 rpms noise. The T-line does 2100 @ 100km at 4.11 , and whilst not sounding stressed , governor takes care of that ! The T-line gets between 12-17 mph, very respectab although there again bobtail with a turntable so not eaxatly up on weight ...
Ok this is going to stir the cats and the pideons , I was thinking of pulling the jack shaft of the front diff to the transfer case and go for a quick burn through process of elimination, the diff won't be hurt because the front axles will still be driving fluid around, and then do the same to the rear , if it will drive in front wheel drive and if it's gone in the both it leaves the auxiliary box , hmmm done a couple of car duffs many moons ago , surely it's like riding a bike, last bike I rode I feel off ..... oh no lol
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Rattail 1927. Reason: Information

More
3 years 10 months ago #211490 by JOHN.K.
Often the spline in a front tailshaft gets very loose ......just push it up and down to check .........Id also think tyres out of balance might cause problems ,especially if any are retreads.

More
3 years 10 months ago #211497 by Blackduck59
Don't know if the splines on these shafts have a master spline, but would not hurt to check the uni phasing anyway.
Cheers Steve

More
3 years 10 months ago #211499 by JOHN.K.
Another thing causes vibration in the 4x4 axle is when there is a uni problem .....these axles dont have proper cv joints ,just one ordinary uni ,and if the support bushes ,or the uni itself is loose ,it all runs offcentre.

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #211505 by Rattail 1927
The tyres on the steer are a bit heel and toe so because they are all the same tread pattern I'll swap out 2 nice flat beautiful wearing drive tyres on the steer , I'm not sure about the jack shaft groove but I can slip under z

Mmmmmmm , John I have a question for you, if I pull the jack shaft off the front with out pulling out the axles with that be ok ? And the n do the same for the rear and put it in 4x4 so the front will be like almost all cars ....... front wheel drive lol
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Rattail 1927.

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #211518 by Rattail 1927
OK , according to another website I may have used U.S GALLONS or something or the tooth fairy stole some fuel , SEEMS that i only got 9. 5 mpg or 29.5 km per 100 km so my excitement has waind and I'm about to hit the bottle, oh hang on I spent the money on fuel........but I must admit I was happy to have a truck over the 10-00 mark ...... however short lived , I felt like Tania Harding when she cheated in the Olympics.... only I didn't break anyone's bones .....
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Rattail 1927.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 10 months ago #211536 by JOHN.K.
Gotta remember a US gallon is only 4/5 of an imperial gallon.......I would have said 10-12 mpg would be all you could hope for ......one thing to allow for ,is every time the pedal goes down ,a big swig of petrol goes into the motor via the accelerator pumps......So try to keep the pedal steady as possible.......The other thing I noted is to keep the idle as lean as possible,preferably with a "splashy" misfire......makes a real big difference in milage in both 6s and 8s........The motor should need to warm to be driveable .......if you can drive straight off cold ,idle is too rich.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Rattail 1927

Time to create page: 0.431 seconds