Skip to main content

McGrath tipping trailer

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #231337 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic McGrath tipping trailer
John,
Pretty sure it was Silicone.
There was a warning years ago in the IAME magazine. Related to Silicone sealants and Silicone used in vehicle manufacture.
Cheers Steve
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Blackduck59.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #231374 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic McGrath tipping trailer
I have a large supply of silicone spray as I bought it in bulk for work and still have a bit. I have never tried it and is why I asked about the anti-spatter and if silicone might do the same job.
As for borrowing a can of cooking spray I would do the right thing for Dee, put a new can in the cupboard and take the half empty one. Would let her know that it is for a good cause in the workshop and no Im not cooking sausages behind your back. Though that wouldn't be such a bad idea for a snack.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 2 months ago #231911 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic McGrath tipping trailer
Paul, I spotted this model of your Fruehauf Cattle Cruiser.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

More
2 years 2 months ago #231918 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic McGrath tipping trailer
They are a pretty stylish trailer, I never realized those Yanky cattle trailers had a roof until recent years and never realized why they had a roof and still might b e wrong

I feel it might be because of the cold weather they have over there, bit like almost all trailers in America appear to be van trailers
Im not sure the canvas tarps would hold up in sub zero temperatures, I can just imagine all the ropes would freeze solid and so on making the whole job near impossible

A grear photo of a classy little cattle trailer

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
2 years 2 months ago #231924 by Kav
Replied by Kav on topic McGrath tipping trailer
Many years ago when I went to TAFE to learn how to use the Mig Welder, I can remember being given a dire warning about using cooking spray for anti splatter. At that time some brands would emit a gas or smoke at high welding temperatures, which was carcinogenic. We were also warned about using one brand of thread cutting paste, which was harmless for low temperature hand threading, but when it was used in the lathe , it smoked, and that smoke was also supposed to be lethal. At the same time there were loud warnings about the red Poly Bushes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 2 months ago #231960 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic McGrath tipping trailer
I use some of that green cutting paste they say is a no no. If pushing the limits yes it does stick a bit so I put the fan on and blow it out towards my idiot neighbour.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: oliver1950

More
2 years 2 months ago #232037 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic McGrath tipping trailer
Would the roof on the cattle crates be to give strength to the monocoque design. Are they aluminium?

More
2 years 2 months ago #232044 by Brocky45
Replied by Brocky45 on topic McGrath tipping trailer

Would the roof on the cattle crates be to give strength to the monocoque design. Are they aluminium?
Mammoth, Yes they are aluminum!!! And I think your roof theory is correct..

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #234057 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic McGrath tipping trailer
Well it's been a little while coming

Cobba the anti splatter spray works okay. Seams to work really well but after lots of trial and error I have learnt the gun angle has a huge effect on how much spatter you get
As I see it and have learnt the more at right angles to the work the gun is held at the less material is blown off as spatter
The down side is it makes it very hard to see the work when I hold the gun at right angles, so I find a compromise of angle, spatter and viewing and also some times the job is so tight it is a battle to even get the gun in there
Also the more at right angles the quicker the gun fills up with rubbish and stopping to clean is required no matter how much stuff the gun is dunked in

But I do use spray most of the time now as I spent heaps more on grinding discs and flap wheels than spray was ever going to cost

A little bit more off topic, I have and known people that have drama with the wire getting stuck in the tip, I use Bunnings type wire because I get a good deal but I was finding more and more this been a problem

So the closer the tip is to the work the hotter the work gets and the greater the penetration, the down side is the more likely it is that the wire will fuse in the tip

So I tried Lincoln wire as a trial and so far no problems, but the wire is $60.00 plus for a 5 kg roll compared to 24 bucks from Bunno's

Im a tight ass so bought some more from Bunnings and will concentrate more on tip distance and the like

Magic wire and magic spray can only cover up so much incompentence

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
2 years 3 weeks ago #234058 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic McGrath tipping trailer
MRS
gudday m8

Nuther gr8 video
Well dun

RE: I have and known people that have drama with the wire getting stuck in the tip

Also working in a dusty inviroment U get dust build up inside the hose
to keep it cleaner we run the wire through a foam ear plug before it runs in the tube hose

If n U get my drift

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, Pierre, asw120

Time to create page: 0.491 seconds