Skip to main content

VT 190 Cummins

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
2 years 4 weeks ago - 2 years 4 weeks ago #233538 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic VT 190 Cummins
Not that i am going into bat for those little Cummins ..BUT Johns problem with the sump filling up with fuel is just typical
of the overheating problems caused by a BAD installation by the truck builders ...........they just could not be convinced
that they needed a larger capacity cooling system to over come a lot of their problems........
Fuel getting into the sump can only come from a cracked head, leaking injector sleeves and or injector O rings, and that is invariably
caused by over heating, and can be simply fixed .....( possibly for a dollar or two of corse..............)
I know they were not the best donk that Cummins ever made , but , a hell of a lot of their problems were , as i said . from over heating
from sub standard cooling systems.............

....................Billy.....................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Last edit: 2 years 4 weeks ago by BillyP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, Brocky45, oliver1950

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 weeks ago #233540 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic VT 190 Cummins
At the time IH said it was caused by an unqualified person fiddling with the injector set............which certainly hadnt happened.....anyhoo,IH offered to change the camshaft for an improved one for half price......but I had to pay for the labour ,and only IH could do it....not Cummins just down the road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
2 years 4 weeks ago #233542 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic VT 190 Cummins
Sounds like IH were just duck shuffeling...........
and i cannot see how the cam would have had anything to do with your problem............

................Billy................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.

More
2 years 4 weeks ago #233545 by Brocky45
Replied by Brocky45 on topic VT 190 Cummins
Billy P,
I am definitely NOT doubting your explanation.. But NOBODY's V configuration engines had good reliability in truck installations.. In stationary service (Marine / Gensets) with constant speed and load they worked fine.. It must have been due to the constantly varying perimeters??? I know you folks had better luck than most with the Cummins 903.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyP, PaulFH

More
2 years 4 weeks ago #233554 by Oilman
Replied by Oilman on topic VT 190 Cummins

Billy P,
But NOBODY's V configuration engines had good reliability in truck installations.. .

I'm not a GM fan, but what about 6V53, 8V71, 8V92 etc?

1975 Atkinson, 180HP 6LXB Gardner, RTO910, 34000lb Rockwell on camelback

More
2 years 4 weeks ago #233555 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic VT 190 Cummins
Fuel getting into sump - same problem on my IH 086 tractor. Design fault is that the lift pump is driven off tiny shaft at backend of injector pump. The shaft wears and the lift pump pushes fuel past the tiny seal into the body of the injection pump where it mixes with the lube oil and so into the sump. Temp cure is to move the seal location in the body otherwise it's a new inject pump rebuild with a new shaft $$$$$
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 4 weeks ago #233569 by Brocky45
Replied by Brocky45 on topic VT 190 Cummins

Billy P,
But NOBODY's V configuration engines had good reliability in truck installations.. .

I'm not a GM fan, but what about 6V53, 8V71, 8V92 etc?

How many miles / KM did the Detroits get between overhauls versus the inline engines????

More
2 years 4 weeks ago - 2 years 4 weeks ago #233595 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic VT 190 Cummins

Billy P,
But NOBODY's V configuration engines had good reliability in truck installations...

Brocky, Here in Australia the Cummins V903 GM 8V71 & 8V92's & Cat 3208's were very successful Truck Engines. That Gave a Lot of People Good Start in the Industry (Me Included) & Can't remember them needing rebuilds any more often than any other Truck Engine...

Having said that.. The V8 Mack Motor wasn't renowned for Longevity Though...!!..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 2 years 4 weeks ago by hayseed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, PaulFH

More
2 years 4 weeks ago #233610 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic VT 190 Cummins
I reckon you could add Scania to that list of good V8's
Even the Fiat one was pretty good, Fiat after sales back up in Australia wasnt but I think the motor was okay

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 4 weeks ago #233616 by PaulFH
Replied by PaulFH on topic VT 190 Cummins
Limited experience with the Cat 3208. Mid 1970's steered AT4 760 which had its C160 Cummins replaced with a second hand 3208.
Had been in an Inter D1910 wrecked in a rollover. Boss had it fitted to the Dodge, with full Cat Warranty as it was still new.
One cylinder picked up, so shut it down. William Adams repaired it under warranty and no further problems.
NA version, set at only 170 Hp supposedly for emissions. Pulled well, but didn't rev it above 2600.
Liked it so had one put in a C1840 Inter to replace its worn out C160.
Nice to have a motor work reliably with the oil and coolant not leaking.

A lot of V8 diesels get heaps of revs and my view is that shortens their life. If not revs, then it is heaps of loud pedal to make
them bark with straight exhausts. Tradies' type utes a classic example - stone cold and big revs in the low gears. Wonder how
long some will last?

Got put into a badly worn 142H Scania, supposed to be 450 HP but at least 200 came up through the floor as heat.
Poor thing had been driven like a race car and cool mornings needed a whif to start. Burnt and leaked up to 8 liitres
of oil a day, 6 to 700 km. Fuel consumption 65 litres a 100 km. Still out pull the other quarry trucks driven kindly.
Would have been a top truck new, but just enough maintenance to continue carting gravel. Left that job!

My attitude was to look after trucks, as that was where the income came from. Smashed or blown up, no income!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Inter-Action

Time to create page: 0.575 seconds