Skip to main content

seat belts

More
14 years 1 week ago #27059 by oldb
seat belts was created by oldb
Who knows when seatbelts became compulsory in primemovers ? My fading memory thinks it was in 1978,
but I could be wrong.....
The 1975 K125 has seatbelt mounting lugs, but no belts.

Cheers, Neil

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago #27060 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: seat belts
Neil, my Aussie built 1968 ACCO has all the mountings for seat belts... not the answer to your question, but it made fitting belts nice n easy. :D

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

14 years 1 week ago - 14 years 1 week ago #27061 by
Replied by on topic Re: seat belts
I remember the new HR Holden in 1967, was the first car with factory-fitted seatbelts .. but it was a while after that date, before they became compulsory in cars (1970, in Victoria, I just found out).

In the case of trucks, I think a similar situation existed .. it was quite a long time after they became compulsory in cars, that they became compulsory in trucks .. but some truck manufacturers jumped the gun, and started factory-fitting them, before it became compulsory in trucks ..

More
14 years 1 week ago #27062 by one tonner
Replied by one tonner on topic Re: seat belts
Our farm 68 KGL Beddy had the lap sash but they were tucked away quite well by the old school driver (Dad), that was a truck to learn in 308, turner crash box and vaccum split. My 78 Kenny has them as well, didn't late sixties cars only have them in the front from memory.

More
14 years 1 week ago - 14 years 1 week ago #27063 by Eddy
Replied by Eddy on topic Re: seat belts

I remember the new HR Holden in 1967, was the first car with factory-fitted seatbelts ..

??? My 63 Falcon had factory seat belts ... as did my 59 Zephyr.

Be it firearms or V8 engines, the question is not "why should you have them?"
, but "who are you to demand that I justify them?"
Last edit: 14 years 1 week ago by Eddy.

14 years 1 week ago - 14 years 1 week ago #27064 by
Eddy - O.K. .. let me re-phrase that. The Falcon and Zephyr had the OPTION of 2 point, lap-only belts .. the HR Holden came STANDARD with 3 point lap-sash belts, as fitted to all cars from 1970. You can't fit a lash-sap belt to your Zephyr or Falcon, they aren't engineered for a 3 point, belt attachment.
Lap-only belts are regarded as generally pretty unsatisfactory for anything but slow-moving vehicles .. it's only lap-sash that will give maximum protection in a high speed impact.

More
14 years 1 week ago #27065 by theroadbossman
Replied by theroadbossman on topic Re: seat belts
My '79 White RoadBoss does not have the compliance plate codes for seat belts, so it was after February 1979; BigCam feels that it was about 1980 I think.
cheers
Bretto ;)

Austral Tourmaster with 6V92T mechanical

More
14 years 1 week ago #27066 by white9000
Replied by white9000 on topic Re: seat belts
i was pulled over at a road block last year and was asked what year the truck was as i had no seat belt on and i told him it was 1975 and he let me go, so it is later than that.I remember some one telling me that it is from july 1977. cheers steve.

14 years 1 week ago #27067 by
Might be different state by state.

But here in victoria in heavy trucks 4.5t to 12t) the outer seats had to have at least lap from 1/7/77 and lap / sash retractor from 1/7/92.

Over 12t the requirement was for lap from 1/7/77 and lap retractors from 1/7/92

Have a look at the vicroad fact sheet www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/B3F...A9719174/0/VSI21.pdf

More
14 years 1 week ago #27068 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: seat belts
Hmmm.......I drove a 2000 K104 here in Tassie that only had lap belts..........altho it has been said we are a little backward down here :-/ :-/ :o

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

Time to create page: 0.649 seconds