Skip to main content

seat belts

More
14 years 1 week ago - 14 years 1 week ago #27069 by Eddy
Replied by Eddy on topic Re: seat belts
onetrak ... having driven my falc for several years, ( and eventually into a train), I am attempting to scan the interior photos of the wreck, and they don't show up, but I can assure you that it did indeed have the 3 point lap-sash belts ... as have all 6 of the other pre64 falcons I owned.
My 65 XR also had Lap-sash belts, as did my 66 XT and my 67 XT.
When you say "engineered" I take it you refer to the little hole in the pillar, left over when the bolt is taken out, causing the top bit of the seat belt to fall onto the floor ... ??

Incidentally ... just to get back on topic ... my Terrier also has mounts for 3 sets of lap-sash belts.

Be it firearms or V8 engines, the question is not "why should you have them?"
, but "who are you to demand that I justify them?"
Last edit: 14 years 1 week ago by Eddy.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 week ago #27070 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: seat belts
my 65 xp falcon ute has lap/sash belts. They put a bolt right through the B pillar. It was common in cars until they started fitting inertia reel belts.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
14 years 1 week ago #27071 by Hardtopman
Replied by Hardtopman on topic Re: seat belts
Fitting belts and child anchor points in cars for a living i have only seen HK Holden, XR Falcon and VE Valiant with factory threaded points for lap sash belts in the front. The early a cars EJ-HR, XM-XP and AP5-6 and VC have only had points in the floor for lap belts. January 1971 belts all round were standard. Plenty were fitted in the older cars with that bolt through the B pillar for the top point. Anything earlya than 1971 was a option or a flasher model with them. Know of a HG Belmont ute and a VG Dodge ute and both had no belts being poverty packs.

14 years 1 week ago #27072 by
Replied by on topic Re: seat belts
Eddy - When I say "engineered" .. the seat belt anchor points in the later cars had the 3 mounting points for the belts, specially reinforced. The bolt hole just drilled through the pillar wasn't regarded as a satisfactory seat belt mounting after increased testing.

I can't recall what happened an hour ago, or even yesterday .. ;D .. but I sure can recall the "new HR Holden" radio ads from 1967.
One of the repeated sales features of the new HR Holden, was the fitting of 3 point seatbelts as standard.

Furthermore .. there was a classic and long-forgotten event (even buried, perhaps .. such was the embarrassment) at GMH, which involved a media stunt. This event was recorded in one of the Modern Motor or Wheels magazines from 1967.

GMH were so proud of their new seatbelts, that they assembled all the car-reporting media reptiles, along with numerous photographers .. got in a crane .. slipped the seatbelts of a new HR sedan, out the open windows .. and hoisted the sedan 4' off the ground, just hanging by its seatbelts.

Amongst all the assembled reptiles, there were lots of "oooh's" and "ahhhs" .. and shutter clicking .. but the GMH boys were going to do even better. They rocked up with a Vauxhall Viva (the then-current small GMH car) .. lifted the HR even higher .. drove the Viva under the raised HR .. slung its seatbelts out the windows .. attached them to the underside of the HR .. and then got the crane driver to raise the WHOLE LOT, until the Viva was 4' off the ground!!

This brought forth another round of "OOOHS" and "AAAHHS" from the reptiles .. and the shutters clicked furiously .. as the GMH boys explained that the tongues of the HR seatbelts were expected to hold a load of 4000lbs for 30 seconds, under design legislation .. but that they were holding a total load of 4400lbs, indefinitely, with both cars slung from the crane ..

In the meantime .. one bored crane driver was shuffling in his seat, and managed to bump a boom actuating lever! :o :o

The bump resulted in the cars only dropping about 2" .. but it was enough, to snap the HR's seatbelt tongues .. and the pair of cars came crashing to the ground, with resultant major damage to both!!
Needless to say, the reptile photographers shutters clicked even faster after THAT event!! .. ;D ;D ;D

GMH hurriedly called in engineers .. who explained to the assembled gathering .. that a 2" drop whilst suspended, results in a load increase of over 100% .. so the HR seatbelt tongues failed only after the load increased to somewhere around 9000lbs!!

The whole event turned into a media disaster for GMH, of course .. as the photos that appeared, were of the wrecked cars! .. not the seatbelt strength ones!! ;D ;D ;D

More
14 years 5 days ago #27073 by Coupeute
Replied by Coupeute on topic Re: seat belts
Does that mean I don't have to have seatbelts retrofitted to my AL110 if I don't want to, does it make a difference on full or club rego?

AL110 inter ute &&FC Holden Wagon&&HJ Holden 1 Tonner&&

More
14 years 5 days ago #27074 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: seat belts
You don't have to fit them if it didn't come out with them, though, it's better than hitting or going through the windscreen, or getting nailed to the steering wheel. They are cheap, sometimes a bit of a PIA to fit, but I can think of a couple of times they have saved me.

More
14 years 5 days ago #27075 by Hardtopman
Replied by Hardtopman on topic Re: seat belts
I think having them is not a bad idea, they alone are the best safety thing there has ever been to have a major impact on the road toll. Look at 1970 to 1971 road toll it dropped big time.

More
14 years 4 days ago #27076 by Coupeute
Replied by Coupeute on topic Re: seat belts
I do have some out of a '70's toyota stout, with an external retactor roll. I will be carrying some precious cargo, my 10 yr old twin daughters. They can't wait to attend a show of some kind.

AL110 inter ute &&FC Holden Wagon&&HJ Holden 1 Tonner&&

More
14 years 4 days ago #27077 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: seat belts
does it make a difference on full or club rego?
Conditional rego in NSW allows us to run vehicles which do not comply with current ADR's (Australian Design Rules cover all states equally) but still must be "roadworthy". However, the general principle is that the vehicle must comply with the ADR's in force at the time of manufacture. The original question of this thread was when did the ADR for truck seat belts apply, rather than who fitted something when ahead of the truck seatbelt ADR coming into force.

More
14 years 4 days ago #27078 by ray
Replied by ray on topic Re: seat belts
I don't know if the rules have changed or not, but a few years back I contacted Vicroads about this very question. I was involved in 4WD Mud Racing and we had a bloke in a Series 1 Landrover running in the road registered class ( on red plates) and it turned out he had no seatbelts. There were a few complaints and I rang Vicroads. They told me that due to the fact that seatbelts were never available when it was built and the fact it was on club rego, that they were not required to be fitted. As an aside, when we fitted out our Leyland bus (1963 on full reg) as a motorhome, I had to fit seatbelts to all seats, but due to the age of the bus they did not have to be engineer approved!

Time to create page: 0.480 seconds