Skip to main content

seat belts

More
14 years 4 days ago #27079 by JimmyDodge
Replied by JimmyDodge on topic Re: seat belts
G'day all, I have a dilemma with my Dodge D5N 700, it is complianced 1976 , but yet has the seat belt holes fitted yet plugged and no seat belts fitted. Do I need to fit them? Or not? I have been on the OZProdrivers website and they are pretty divided 50/50 whether seat belts save drivers or not. Over to anyone who Knows more than me.
Harleigh.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 days ago #27080 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: seat belts
I think seat belts are common sense, have saved me in a couple of nasty prangs. Would like to fit them to the old Dodge I have bought but no mounting points at all.

More
14 years 4 days ago #27081 by kennymopar2
Replied by kennymopar2 on topic Re: seat belts
if the truck is in a rollover and you have a lap-sash belt you cant "duck" to avoid the big bang theory ..whereas in a headon id imagine you would have a sore stomach if you had a lap type of belt ..im very concerned about safety ..most of the time in my trucks i dont wear a belt as often i need to move around the cab to check mirrors etc ..also the retractable belts sometimes jam when you hit a rough road etc . . its a tough choice

More
14 years 4 days ago #27082 by oldb
Replied by oldb on topic Re: seat belts
Some interesting replies to my question, there's a big knowledge base on this forum.
The K125 had a work order on it a few years ago, and passed a roadworthy ok with no seatbelts fitted.

I don't mind driving it without belts , but don't enjoy argueing with cops who are younger than the truck.

cheers, Neil

ps - Photos posted as soon as I can figure out how to !!

More
14 years 3 days ago - 14 years 3 days ago #27083 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: seat belts
Pete, it's easy putting the mounts in for the lap type, the top mount for the sash type is a bit trickier. I agree, they have saved me a few times, though I must admit, I don't often wear them in a truck.

I think seat belts are common sense, have saved me in a couple of nasty prangs. Would like to fit them to the old Dodge I have bought but no mounting points at all.

Last edit: 14 years 3 days ago by bigcam.

More
14 years 3 days ago #27084 by atkipete
Replied by atkipete on topic Re: seat belts
Yes, I remember when they used to drill through the door pillar of a car to fit them, on a old truck the top mount ends up on the back panel of the cab which is only single skin.

More
14 years 2 days ago #27085 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: seat belts
Ok here it is- from Truck & Bus April 1977 "Sydney-Motor Traffic Act been amended to require buses & trucks (exceeding 4.4tonnes) manufactured from July 1 1977 to be fitted for the drivers seating position with a seat belt complying with ADR No 32" Noted that passenger seat also had to have one but where there was a third passenger position on a bench seat it was not required. ADR 32 requires lap only type belts fitted to the seat frame, so obviously there were subsequent ADR's to implement lap/sash belts and other details

Time to create page: 0.451 seconds