Skip to main content

Working Classic of the Week

More
11 years 5 months ago #29559 by v8 inter nut
Maybe it was a cat :-/ I didn't have a good look all I know engine was red and he said 250 cummins

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #29560 by jimbo51
Curious what a rego check throws up!

More
11 years 5 months ago #29561 by v8 inter nut
Ha well that's interesting as far as I know there is not one of them out there :-X

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #29562 by bigcam
The plot thickens.
Looks like a plastic Leader cab from the interior shot, but as usual you all know I could be wrong, especially after Hayseed broke my crystal ball.
Tramcar would make sense, except for the back axle's which also could quite easily have been changed. Tramcar would have 5/8 studs and 8 of em.
V8, a quick pic of the rear front spring shackle (as in front axle) and steering box would give a fair old clue to the chassis. More than likely the old Aluminium Tramcar cab has cracked itself to bits and it's been recabbed. Unusual the CA300 handpeice on a Tramcar too, and not a Tramcar front axle, looks ACCO or early KW, and the fuel tank looks ACCO too.
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by bigcam.

More
11 years 5 months ago #29563 by bigcam
Actually, having another look at the pictures you can see the chassis tapers at the front like a Tramcar.
All the Leaders are parrallel.

11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #29564 by
Replied by on topic Re: Working Classic of the Week
....wonder if Jack Ehret had a hand in this one too.... ;D ;D ;D ;D

...the front hubs look very much like what the early 4070 Transtars, and the earlier DCO's had...5 spoke Daytons, which were really not that common....

... also all the cabover Transtars had a RH exhaust gantry set-up

More
11 years 5 months ago #29565 by v8 inter nut
Seems like a bitzer to me looks like I will have to slip back out there And take a few more pics.

More
11 years 5 months ago #29566 by bigcam
South Australian Bull Bar too.
250 Cummins fits in with a Tramcar too.
As far as I knew, the early cabbed Leaders only had 3208's (210 HP), the little V8 (Mind it was a little V8 that had a pretty good reputation), the very first of them may even have had 1160's which is the earlier version of the 3208 and 225 HP. I thought the 3306, six cylinder 250 HP came out with the second series of cabs with flat windscreens, and then later on, and I thought only with the sleeper cab version, the Overlander, 3406A CAT's, maybe a NTC 300 Cummins and 6V92TA Detriots. I've never seen one with a Cummins, but I've seen them with 6V92's and 3406A's in them.
Those big air intakes at the front of the cab on both sides of the roof were engine air intakes on an early Leader.
Though that tapered chassis looks Tramcar, I'd guess a Shephard power steering box mounted straight under the colomn too, the Leaders had a ZF mounted behind the axle and a right angle box under the steering colomn back to the steering box.

More
11 years 5 months ago #29567 by v8 inter nut
Gezz you blokes really know your stuff I can barely tell the difference from inter to dodge! You better tell me what you want photos of cam and we might work this one out ;)

11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #29568 by
Replied by on topic Re: Working Classic of the Week
N.B. Love (Merrylands) had two Leaders one with a 3306 Cat and the other with a 6V71/92??? Detroit,both were eight wheelers carting stock feed.
I notice here Jimbo's free rego check on NSW plates.Can anyone find a site for rego checks in other states (Vic,QLD,ect)???? Cheers James.

Curious what a rego check throws up!

Time to create page: 0.509 seconds