Jimbo
Sum days I'm az thik as a 4x2
other days 8 x10 or worse
LOL
me thinks Gilbertsons had the truck from new
way back when
a bogie bogie semi B legal with 31 G ton x 47 feet long
the spread bogie drive legal with 36 G ton x 55 feet long
n Camerons carted a lot of plastic Tuperware so they probly got more in the beast than a normal sem eye pan etc
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #32782 by jimbo51
Replied by jimbo51 on topic Re: Spread axle trailers
Yeah, the article talks about them getting 3000 cubic feet compared to 2400 on a semi.

More
13 years 8 months ago #32783 by oldfulla
Replied by oldfulla on topic Re: Spread axle trailers
All

Greenie - nothing wrong with your memory - I recall every thing just as you have described it.

And Big Cam - like you say - the more overhang on the towing unit (longer distance between the rear axle and the ringfeeder) made a huge difference when going backwards. You could 'beat' the short draw bar.

But the opposite happened when going forward - a slight twitch of the truck mulitplied into a big twitch with the dog.

But when all else failed - unkook the dog and put it on the bullbar - and push it. And smart operators had their bullbar hitch offset to the left - inline with the left hand chassis rail. More stength but better vision. From the office chair - one could see down the side of the dog.

So that ringfeeder style hook inset in most bullbars isnt there just for decoration or draging it home when broken. Most of them that got used was for 'baring-up' - holding one end of the 'stiff bar' to get and give a hand out of trouble.

Reminds me of when the Aust Army got their tripple trailer rated S Line Inters. They did a run to Darwin to practice the tripple trailer thing. Took a load up and came back MT - as you did out of Darwin back then. Anyway - along the track they saw the real operators where going east with their trailers (1 + 2 dogs) all stacked up on top of each other. And - some with the mates gear on top of one trailer and dogs stached on another dog.

So the Army guys decided to try the same trick, but ran with only one dog on top of the lead trailer and the other dog doing what dogs do - following along behind.

About Longreach they stopped for a feed at the Roadhouse, and a real truckie asked why they were wearing out tyres on their dogs - a why are you wasting our money sort of question. The army guys replied - we would like to - but we have been looking for a high ramp all along the way - and havent found one yet. So we couldnt get the 3 stack thing happening. They also said they thought it would be a bit scary working things up that high.

Thats another time where that hitch in the bullbar came in handy - when stacking dogs. Had those Army guys ever found their high ramp - it would have been an unhitch the dolly job - because the Army didnt 'spec' the S Line bullbars with one of those hitch things.

And with the Cammerons Dog photo (above) - the trailer has landing legs - but the draw bar is hinged. So if it is a quick hitch dolly - then the turn table would have to be a non-osilating version. Which, with a short wheel based dog was a problem in its self. Made them very rigid in the twisting department - so very easy to lift a wheel. Like a short bogie container trailer on a single drive PM - not the thing to park in a table drain.

What all thats got to do with wide spread trailers I'm not sure!

Oldfulla :-X

13 years 8 months ago #32784 by
Replied by on topic Re: Spread axle trailers
Re. Dog trailer,
A dog trailer is any length or number of axles.
It consists of a semi trailer with a forward carriage,
also known as a dolly, this can also be any number of axles, it can be fixed or interchangable, this converts a semi trailer to a full trailer, a dog trailer is a full trailer.
e.g. a road train usually consists of a truck with a semi trailer and one or two dog trailers.
Pup is just a loose term for a small dog, it is essentially a dog trailer.

More
13 years 8 months ago #32785 by jimbo51
Just realised my comment with the Camerons picture referred to "single axle bogie" hence some confusion.

Duh!!! I meant single axle dolly.

Post now corrected

13 years 8 months ago #32786 by
I knew what you meant jimbo

More
13 years 8 months ago #32787 by oldfulla
Replied by oldfulla on topic Re: Spread axle trailers
Jmackb

I agree with your fine description for/of the term 'Dog' or 'Dog trailer'.

However - I beg to differ on your description of a 'Pup' -'Pup trailer'.

In my time - the term 'pup' refered to a single axle trailer, with an 'A' frame style load bearing draw bar - with the axle set roughtly mid trailer - all a kin to the average 'Box trailer'.

A trailer of similar design but with two or more centreded axles, and usually with a hinged drawbar (non load bearing) were known as 'Pig' trailers.

Pups were usualy Pantecs (EG: for Furnature) or flat tops, where Pigs were the same - but more commonally tippers. Fore runners to the dog type tippers of today - but easier to reverse (pre dogs with turntable locks) and could have a draw bar length to suit/meet (either or both) an overall vehicle length requirement and/or max axle weights per the 'bridge' forumla.

Then there is the 'Tag trailer' - one of any length, and any axle configeration - but with the axles set to the rear of the trailer (semi trailer like), and the draw bar being highly load bearing on the towing vehicle. These are not suitbile for 'ringfeeder type' (limited load bearing capability) tow hitchs and usually use the load bearing designed 'Bartlett Ball' style hitch, or a mini version of a convential above chassis turntable.

Please feel free to correct me on the above.

Oldfulla :-X

13 years 8 months ago #32788 by
Hi oldfulla,
I'll go along with that explanation on the 'pup' v's 'dog'.
I think your descriptions of 'pig' and 'tagalong' clear up some doubts also. They seem to make sense.
Jmack.

More
13 years 8 months ago #32789 by jimbo51
Any trailer is a "Pig" when it won't go where you intend it.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 8 months ago #32790 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Spread axle trailers

Guyz
Hope eye aint side steppin here
Trailer description n definitions

Pig trailers - Heavy trailers without steerable wheels 1 - 5 axles, could also include tag trailers
Dog trailers - Heavy trailers with steerable front axles, more than 2 axles on trailer

Now sumthing a bit different
Stag Trailer (trade Name by Lusty)

th lead trailer has a 5th wheel mounted below tippr body n above trailer chassis frame @ the rearof last axle
Q:? so wot would U class this type of rear traler as

n here iz an option instead of the HD Bartlett type trailer hitch
700mm wide 5th wheel

www.dangelo.com.au/fifth-wheel.asp?product=Mini50

WotSayU?

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Time to create page: 0.457 seconds