Skip to main content

Spread axle trailers

More
13 years 8 months ago #32801 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Spread axle trailers
They where Pig Trailers. Years ago they used to pull them with 40mm ringfeeders as well. One of the main reason's they where unpopular was that they had a few brake away from trucks and kill people. The bogie version was first, then they worked out a closed tri would let the trailer pivot on the last axle. They are still legal, only they drop the amount you can carry on them, I think a bogie is only 15 tonnes and a tri 18.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
13 years 8 months ago #32802 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Spread axle trailers

Ol Fulla
GuddayM8
Now I fully undercanstumble U
Specially after Big C bungd them pix up
LOL
them pix of Cams now refreshes me remembererer
if the draw bar is hinged mounted n not ;load transferein to truck under panic stop any loose material in pig could rush forward n over load the front axle , with a lot less on the rear axle, n the pig would B on a down hill incline
mainly coz all the suspension is all linkd 2 gether
Now wunder n ifn the tri twaz seperated into a single n bogie suspension if this would/could stop pig problems of the front dipping under brakeing
eg:

0===0 0
or
0 0===0

TWAZ
0===0===0

But

WoddaEyeKno
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
13 years 8 months ago #32803 by oldfulla
Replied by oldfulla on topic Re: Spread axle trailers
Swishy and All

Thanks Big Cam - for posting those photos. I was begining to think my mind was on the blink. But the old story - a picture is worth a thousand words.

I actually thought they had been outlawed - for no other reason than they have disappererd off the scene up this part of the world. And their obvious problem of digging in under braking. But the current DOT rego form still shows them as legal.

However - with hind sight - I think there was some sort of suspension travel limiting device introduced to at least limit the amount of front end sag. And a lot of them had bodies with a traditional body truck head board (front end higher than the sides) to limit the load being showered forward on sudden stops.

Swishy - your idea of using 2 different suspensons would probably work - but would no doubt give the DOT a heart attack and further limit the allowable loading. Hence the intro of the 3 axle dog tipper, more stable and bigger loads.

I'd love to find a 1970's/80's version of the DOT rego forms, because I'm pretty sure they used to define all these trailer configrerations differently (not so much by name but by a drawing) - starting with a box trailer thru pups, pigs and tags - and semi and dogs. I also have an inkling that the towing hitch had to be specified on the form too. Maybe that bit was in the Authotised Officers hand book of rules. Thats the book that spelt dance as just that and not darnce, Newcastle not Newcarstle,
as the southern versions did (nudge, nudge - wink, wink - say no more). All very different to the multi use form of today.

Just a question to finish with. Whst was the max axle spread measurement for spread bogies and tri axle groups - 10 feet and 1 inch OR 10 feet and 3 inches. And has the tri figure changed since, apart from being metricatcted?

Oldfulla (I think thats me) ::)

More
13 years 8 months ago #32804 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Spread axle trailers
10',1" mate, still is.

Time to create page: 0.422 seconds