Skip to main content

McGRATH TRAILERS AND COMPANY HISTORY.

More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #85088 by Acar DC7564
This is a pretty early McGrath trailer I saw a few years ago in a blokes "collection" near Rupanyup in Vic. Cheers Rob

1950 White superpower WC18R&&1966 Autocar DC7564rhd&&1980 White Road Boss &&
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by bigcam.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #85089 by oldfulla
2 questions: I had a similar problem posting photos recently - and dont understand why they ten appeared correctly as has occured here. IE: the set Rob posted and the set Hayseed fixed???

Anyway - I note that is a 'half round nose' trailer. I recall (and am waiting for pics of it) a 'full round nose' 32 footer from the 1960's.

Can anyone add anything to the round nose concept. I realise the WW2 US stuff was built that way - but what about later - like into the 1960's?

Oldfulla - just wonderen :-[

More
11 years 8 months ago #85090 by bigcam
I fix up the mistake is what happens Oldfulla.
Usually all the mistake is, is the URL isn't posted between the IMG doodads as Hayseed pionted out.

More
11 years 8 months ago #85091 by BK
I recall a B 61 with a concave in the back of the cab, Western Tpot I think.
Imagine trying to tarp one of those round nose trailers!!!

Trust me

More
11 years 8 months ago #85092 by oldfulla
Cam - that answers the question - I thought it was some sort of magic happening.

BK - the one I remember had a cattle crate on it. The crate followed the curve - imagine how fiddley that would have been to make?

'All for what' being the question. VERY short WB prime movers is the only answer I can come up with.

It was a big Yank thing around that time - with their double deck cattle boxes. And short WB's prime movers are scarce over there.

Oldfulla

More
11 years 8 months ago #85093 by Debo
Not sure if this trailer is a McGrath but it has got a full round front by the look of it. notice it must have hydraulic brakes also.

Photo taken at Leongatha not sure when but an old Jock Findlay trailer i think, from memory the person whose name is on the door of the F86 was gunna "do it up" and use it, would have been early 80's i think when photo taken. Debo.

More
11 years 7 months ago #85094 by Mrsmackpaul

Hornsby Akroyd as promised photos of 5 spoke mcgrath axle still trying to find who it belongs to these things can take some time but im sure I'll find eventualy :)

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
11 years 7 months ago #85095 by HORNSBY-AKROYD
HI ALL
ESPECIALLY MRSMACKPAUL, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THESE VALUABLE PHOTO'S, THIS WAS THE HUBCAP DESIGN THAT HAD ELUDED ME, AM STILL ACQUIRING INFORMATION FOR THE HISTORY.
ONE THING THAT IS VERY OBVIOUS IS THAT JOHN McGRATH, MADE A HUGE MISTAKE IN SELLING HIS COMPANY IN 1946, AND THAT UP UNTIL THEN HE WAS VERY CLOSELY FOLLOWING THE TRAILER MARKET IN AMERICA, USING THE GAINED KNOWLEDGE TO PROMOTE AND ADVANCE HIS OWN TRAILER COMPANY IN MELBOURNE.
LETS KEEP THE McGRATH INFORMATION COMING.
REGARDS BILL

More
11 years 7 months ago #85096 by 67mustang
Hi BIll and all

I bought a McGrath Strap trailer and 2 deck sheep crate on the week end.
It is a 36 foot and still has original tail lights and round tube light mounting panel under the rear, original mud flaps and very clean combing rails has 8 stud rims? And single axle the hubs have - New McGrath Trailer - on them has no legs currently sitting on 44 drums the rear mud guards are hinged and held back by chains then the mud flaps hang from them it's painted red with white stripe, not sure of the year will get it home this weekend and start looking for serial number? Will go nice behind my CLine 1840
67mustang

More
11 years 7 months ago #85097 by Mrsmackpaul
looking forward to picture ;)

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Time to create page: 0.529 seconds