Skip to main content

OLDEST TRUCK IN AUSTRALIA ?

11 years 8 months ago #92943 by
Replied by on topic Re: OLDEST TRUCK IN AUSTRALIA ?
...it's all good greg .. i'll relay that to the westcoasters ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 7 months ago #92944 by
Some of Merv's collection

If you are ever in Colac its well worth a visit.

Trevor

More
11 years 7 months ago #92945 by Acar DC7564
Great topic H/A Im thinking that Renard thats at Quorn now could be getting close and Ive done a bit of research makes which may also be of interest if they are out there . As others have said the Albion , maybe a real early Commer car , Crossley Leyland steamer , or an early Dennis , maybe an early Lacra , or a Merryweather ,or a Saurer or a Thornycroft and last but not least White made trucks back then too . Rob

1950 White superpower WC18R&&1966 Autocar DC7564rhd&&1980 White Road Boss &&

More
11 years 7 months ago #92946 by HORNSBY-AKROYD

ACAR DC7564,
IS RIGHT ON THE MONEY, WITH REGARD TO POSSIBLE MAKES, I THINK I HAVE FOUND THE OLDEST ORIGINAL CONDITION AND RUNNING TRUCK IN AUSTRALIA, FIRST REGISTERED IN VICTORIA IN 1911.
THIS TRUCK IS STILL OWNED BY THE SAME FAMILY THAT IMPORTED IT INTO AUSTRALIA, IT WAS DESIGNED IN 1903, AND WAS COMMISSIONED AND BUILT IN JUNE 1909, COPIES OF THE FACTORY COMMISSIONS AND CONSTRUCTION, AND DELIVERY RECORDS, HAVE BEEN OBTAINED TO ESTABLISH CORRECT DATES OF MANUFACTURE.
REGARDS HA

11 years 7 months ago #92947 by
I'm glad I'm not hanging by my testicles waiting to find this out....
Come on HA,tell us what it is... :D

11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #92948 by
...in a publication titled ''Pastoral Australia'', an overview of the inception of motorized transport in Australia includes the Daimler Renard road train that was imported ''at great cost'' and operated from Isis Downs in western Queensland from 1911...

HORNSBY ol' mate ...this could be the one still with the family in Victoria, and may have been floated down from QLD by swishy all those years ago :o :o 8-) 8-)

More
11 years 7 months ago #92949 by mammoth
I have a vague recollection that a Renard unit was sold at a Sth Aus auction last year and may have gone o'seas?? Or am I thinking of something equally old and obscure?

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 7 months ago #92950 by Swishy

the beast in Q:?

SMore oldies

CHIANG MAI, THAILAND - MAR 10: Renault truck 1910 year classic car show in 1st Chiang Mai old classic car show Festival on March 10,2012 at Tha Phae Gate in Chiang Mai Thailand.

Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #92951 by
Posting this & picture for HORNSBY-AKROYD

HI ALL,

THE EARLY HISTORY OF THE COMMERCIAL LOAD-CARRYING VEHICLE IS A FASINATING BRANCH OF AUTOMOTIVE HISTORY, THAT FORMS THE BASIS OF OUR CURRENT TRANSPORT INDUSTRY.

LOAD CARRYING GOODS VEHICLES HAVE A RELATIVELY SHORT HISTORY, DUE MAINLY TO THE GROWING EFFICENCY OF THE RAILWAY NETWORKS WHICH CARRIED GOODS COMPARATIVELY RAPIDLY OVER LONG DISTANCES, AND ALSO BECAUSE OF THE POOR STATE OF THE FEW ROADS IN EXISTANCE AT THE TIME.

GRADUALLY, THE TRUCK CAME INTO GREATER USE, ACTING AS A FEEDER TO THE RAILWAYS, UNTIL ROAD TRANSPORT GREW TO RIVAL, AND FINALLY OVERTAKE, THE TRAIN.

THE FIRST GOODS CARRYING VEHICLES WERE NOT HEAVY DUTY TRUCKS BUT LIGHT VANS DERIVED FROM THE PASSENGER CARS THAT HAD BEGAN TO APPEAR IN THE 1890

More
11 years 7 months ago #92952 by Murray
Where's the rest of it ? Come on don't be shy.

Time to create page: 0.493 seconds