Skip to main content

OLDEST TRUCK IN AUSTRALIA ?

More
11 years 5 months ago #92973 by fageol100
I have very much enjoyed reading the information you provided on the Saurer Company, Hornsby-Akroyd.-Hamish Petrie

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 5 months ago #92974 by
Replied by on topic Re: OLDEST TRUCK IN AUSTRALIA ?
thanks H-A .. this has been a very interesting topic.....cheers mate

More
11 years 5 months ago #92975 by Debo
If i'm not mistaken i think this truck was on display at Trucks in Action Warragul on the Mack stand some year's ago. I dont have any pics though. Debo.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 5 months ago #92976 by Swishy
CMon Slos Peed

Watz been developed
We all B waitin wit bated breath

Ifn U get my drift

Coff up

Give till it hurtz
Thanx in advance

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 5 months ago #92977 by Swishy
OK
eye'l do the dirty work 4 U
LOL

Saurer

This 1910 Saurer was purchased by Captain R. Gordon Chirnside on a tour of Europe for use on the family farm at Skipton, Victoria. It still remains on the family farms.
2/'00 --> Wheelbase: 159", chassis: 3.5 tons, load: 5.5 tons, tyres 36"x5" (front), 42"x5.5"x2 (rear), 4-speed gearbox (2.25, 4.5, 6, 10mph, rev 2mph), consumption 5mpg.

Saurer is a Swiss marque, their trucks being imported into the USA from 1908. Saurer and the Mack brothers formed the International Motor Company in 1911 and built both Saurer and Mack trucks and, from 1912, Hewitt trucks. The US company was renamed the Mack - International Motor Truck Corporation at the end of World War I [-Mack].

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #92978 by
...g'day all .. what's the chances that this is the same Chirnside family (or relo's) that were the owners of Point Cook (Vic) homestead and beyond that, the property that came to be known as the Werribee Mansion..who later moved to the Eastern side of Melbourne, and in their remembrance were honoured with the suburb named after them...Chirnside Park...

...of course IDSTBC on all these musings.....cheers

More
11 years 5 months ago #92979 by HORNSBY-AKROYD
HI ALL,

I THOUGHT, YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN SOME FAMILY HISTORY, ASWELL AS TRUCK HISTORY.
RE - DEBO, HE IS RIGHT , THIS WAS THE 1909 SAURERS, ONLY OFF FARM PUBLIC VIEWING, I MENTIONED PREVIOUSLY, IN IT'S 103 YEARS OF EXISTANCE, WHEN MACK AUSTRALIA, EXHIBITED THE TRUCK ON IT'S STAND AT TRUCKS IN ACTION, AT WARRAGUL, VICTORIA, IN FEBRUARY, 2000, TO CELEBRATE IT'S CENTENNIAL CELEBRATIONS.

AND - DETECTIVE, IS RIGHT ON THE MONEY, ROBERT GORDON CHIRNSIDE, BORN IN 1883 WAS THE ONE WHO ORDERED THE SAURER BE BUILT IN 1909, AND IT WAS DELIVERED IN 1910, AND FIRST REGISTERED IN VICTORIA IN 1911, VICTORIAN REGISTRATION NUMBER 4555, AND IT IS RECORDED AS BEING THE FIRST MOTOR LORRY TO UNDERTAKE PASTORAL STATION WORK IN VICTORIA.

ANDREW CHIRNSIDE, BORN 1818 AND DIED 1890, OF POINT COOKE AND WERRIBEE PARK, WAS INDEED ROBERT GORDON CHIRNSIDES GRANDFATHER.

THE 3.5 TON CARRYING CAPACITY SAURER, REGULARLY CARRIED, BETWEEN 5 AND 6 TONS OF WOOL, OVER THE 45 MILE TRIP FROM THE SHEEP STATION TO THE RAILHEAD AT BALLARAT, COVERING THAT DISTANCE IN THREE AND A HALF HOURS, SOMETIMES REACHING IT'S TOP SPEED OF 20 m.p.h.
THIS TWO-WAY TRIP WAS ONE WHICH TOOK A HORSE TEAM TWO DAYS TO COMPLETE, WITH AN OVERNIGHT STOP AT LINTON.
FAMILY RECORDS SHOW THAT ON AT LEAST ONE OCCASION, THE SAURER MADE TWO TRIPS TO BALLARAT IN THE ONE DAY.
AFTER THE TRAILER WAS BUILT IN 1919, AN ADDITIONAL 4 TO 5 TONS OF WOOL BALES COULD BE TRANSPORTED FROM THE STATION TO BALLARAT, JUST THINK ABOUT THAT, A MOTOR LORRY AND TRAILER, MOVING APPROX 10 TONS OF FREIGHT, REGULARLY ON VICTORIAN ROADS BEFORE 1920.
ON THE RETURN RUNS FROM BALLARAT, THE SAURER WOULD BRING COAL FOR THE STATION OVENS AND FIRES, AND STATION SUPPLIES AND BEER AND OTHER GOODS FOR THE TWO SKIPTON HOTELS, AND LOCAL BUSINESSES.
THERE IS NO DOUBT IN MY MIND, THAT THE CHIRNSIDE FAMILY, AND ROBERT GORDON CHIRNSIDE IN PARTICULAR, WERE AUSTRALIAN ROAD TRANSPORT PIONEERS, AND THIS 1909 SAURER MOTOR LORRY AND IT'S FOUR- WHEEL TRAILER, HAVE ALWAYS BEEN REGARDED AS ONE OF THEIR MOST CHERISHED POSSESIONS, AND ALWAYS KEPT IN FINE WORKING CONDITION ON THE FAMILY FARM.

HOPE YOU ARE ENJOYING THIS POST, REGARDS
HA

11 years 5 months ago #92980 by

CMon Slos Peed

Watz been developed
We all B waitin wit bated breath

Ifn U get my drift

Coff up

Give till it hurtz
Thanx in advance

Sorry Swishy

Have been pre oc u pied, will try and post tonight

Trevor

11 years 5 months ago #92981 by
Hi HA I have seen that same truck sitting in a shed just outside Pakenham , Vic. Dave

11 years 4 months ago #92982 by
Pictures thanks to Murray

Trevor

Time to create page: 0.473 seconds