Skip to main content

First truck Drive..

More
11 years 5 months ago #99208 by geoffb
Replied by geoffb on topic Re: First truck Drive..
First truck as many others have said was as a very young lad doing hay carting think was a old Chev starter on the floor and the hay elevator on the side.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #99209 by pazz
Replied by pazz on topic Re: First truck Drive..
Hello all
My first drive was an mid to late 80s acco in a paddock at around 10-12. First drive as a job was a 79 W model. Funny how at the time [99-2000] all i wanted was to get in the new rigs, now ive driven the new ones i want to get into the old kw again.

More
11 years 5 months ago #99210 by John H
Replied by John H on topic Re: First truck Drive..
Hello All, My first drive was in my fathers ACCO 180, Perkins, 5 spd 2spd 4x2 loaded with Coal on a public road called Mahuta Stn Road in the late 6o's, I would drive down the road to the Rail head, He would then reverse in to the hopper and tip off, great fun. Now 40 odd years later I am shifting Coal for the the same Dairy Company out of another mine in the Waikato also for myself. I also got to drive while I was an apprentice mechanic in the 70's before I was licenced to drive a truck a 237 Mack R600 and lowloader every so often, hooked on Macks ever since. Still enjoy it, not quite as much fun these days at times but love it all the same.

More
11 years 5 months ago #99211 by Motu
Replied by Motu on topic Re: First truck Drive..
I was driving all sorts of things around the yard....being able to get into 3rd gear, or going through 6 gears with a twin stick or Roadranger. But after getting my HT truck and trailer license my first drive on public roads was just a TK Bedford.

I'm living in that Waikato coal town John H.

More
11 years 5 months ago #99212 by Sarge
Replied by Sarge on topic Re: First truck Drive..
15 years old, living in the clay belt in Melbourne, local briquette delivery bloke offered me a job lumping 120lb bags of briquettes on my back into peoples sheds or hot water hoppers... after school work...
about day three,
"ya wanna have a drive"?
"what"
"Ya can drive carntya"
"Yeeeaasss, of course (not)"
"Git in"
swapped to drivers seat of his little morris 3 ton about 1949 vintage, 2 litres of oil, one of water, one of petrol.

Massive lurch and we were off... only had 4 gears, only needed 2 or 3, brakes generally not necessary and never used in anger...

later on, in proper truck (semi) same big brother used same procedure in same Atkinson as with Scout, he didnt mention the 1/4 turn slack in the armstrong steering.... :-/

would fancy finding that old Atkinson and maybe trading it for the divorce.... :o :o :o

Great Thread...

/me

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
11 years 5 months ago #99213 by RocksnRoses
Replied by RocksnRoses on topic Re: First truck Drive..
My truck driving experience started around the age of 12. The old man bought a new AA162 International tipper and I used to drive it around the paddock feeding the sheep. Also, along the side of the road down from our house, was a six to seven foot high bank of sand that had drifted from our paddocks in previous years, from poor farming practices of previous share farmers. The old man reckoned it was our sand, so I spent weeks and months carting this sand back onto the stone reefs in our paddocks, loading the Inter with a McCormick Deering W9 kero tractor, fitted with a cable lift front end loader, a real hand full for a 12 year old kid.

I got my license at 16 and went on carting grain to the silo, bringing fertilizer back to the farm and stock to the abattoirs. When I first started driving the International on the road, the old man told me not to use the two speed diff, or just leave it in High, I can't remember now, so I didn't, until I got out of earshot from home, boy did that two speed get a work out then.

From there I went to my own ACCO 1830A, Atkinson, Transtar and Volvos.

RnR.

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #99214 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Re: First truck Drive..
My first drive,
This D30 International was my first drive,It belonged to a neighbour we share farmed on.It was around 1960 making me about 11.[so it wasn't we share farming it was dad]and I proberly only playing ,not working when I was driving it

This AR148 was the truck I first worked 1963/64 harvest carting wheat 65 bags a load 5 ton of unsowed bags with my brother aged 15 and me 14 .I was the driver and loaded the tray and he was on the ground.I had no licence, we only cross the main road to get to Mairjimmy siding.
The second year we borrowed a uncle trailor and put behind the AR148 and then we were carting 10 ton .No licence,no brakes no lights no number plates on trailor but the truck was registed

First Semi S Bedford 1967 When to police station to get semi licence and said I need it tomorrow to go and pick
up a trailor to put on our S Bedford but I haven't a semi
to do the test,well he said"A pregent nun has problems"
then put the form in the type writter and typed it out.
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

40 years + later I am driving one of these.

Colin.

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by IHScout.

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #99215 by farmer brown
My young blokes first drive, age 7. 1418 Benz.
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by farmer brown.

More
11 years 5 months ago #99216 by tim
Replied by tim on topic Re: First truck Drive..
Well done Farmer Brown, the look of concentration is magic. I reckon in 50 years time he'll still remember the moment like it was only yesterday. Priceless. ;)

1989 FORD F350 Lariat Crewcab Dually

More
11 years 5 months ago #99217 by 180wannabe
Replied by 180wannabe on topic Re: First truck Drive..
My first drive was in an 1830a ACCO, on the farm when i was about 8 or 9 years old. The first semi i drove on the road, i am very privileged to say, was a 3070b Eagle. Due to the instant love affair.................., i used another local 3070 to get my licence.

Time to create page: 0.520 seconds