Skip to main content

Old trucks

More
4 years 2 months ago #206006 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Old trucks
Lang, I like the Mopar connection, the badge on the boot looks like Chrysler, but the tail light in the photo doesn't match the one in your photo, which is correct for the model

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #206007 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Old trucks
Yes I believe it is a Chrysler product. One of the ways they distinguished the different makes (with exactly the same body) apart from grilles was with chrome and different tail lights. As I guessed Dodge/DeSoto/Plymouth or even Chrysler.

John

I believe the 1936 guess to be correct for the Indian. Nothing on that bike looks ex-military exhaust, racks, windshield or mirrors. Both Harley and Indian were selling in Australia at that time although more expensive than British bikes. I may be wrong.

Lang
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Lang.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #206011 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Old trucks
John

You are absolutely right as usual!

Lang

Here is a 344 (translated to CDD) that is original but in civilian colours.

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Lang.

More
4 years 2 months ago #206020 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Old trucks
When I had the ex army chiefs ,my mother used to get upset.....she said the yankee SP s would cruise around Brisbane central,and pick up black CB s and bash them to death ,dump them in the sidercar ,and cart them into SP HQ,where they would stick them in a tin coffin and send them up to NG ,and list them KIA.....She was manpowered to work for the yanks ,and hated them.....In Brisbane ,no black was allowed north of the river......They even bashed australian abos ,which caused several riots. in Brisbane.

More
4 years 2 months ago #206029 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Old trucks
There is some brilliant identification happening.
I have done some homework.
I have downloaded the photo with the car at full size, cropped and retoned. I think that the clincher now is badge at the top of the boot, matching the rear view of one from the Dodge stable.
That was a good find: most online photos are frontals.
www.hcvc.com.au/forum/OldTruck/13204-old...ord?start=350#205990

I have also reinstated a much earlier photo of a 1936 Ford: one of those where the link lapsed.
www.hcvc.com.au/forum/OldTruck/7553-late-1930s-ford#84049

Roderick

More
4 years 2 months ago #206313 by Roderick Smith
181101-Buzznet-USA.schoolbuses

Roderick
Attachments:

More
4 years 2 months ago #206666 by Roderick Smith
181107W-MetroTwitter-wet.Melbourne-~1940s.
I couldn't do much about the quality.
Roderick

Attachments:

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #206668 by lantana jack

Roderick Smith wrote: ...The vehicle appears to be a 1936 Ford. I don't know if VR had a fleet, or if each was different.
Jolimont (Melbourne, Vic.): VR breakdown vehicle 6. (PROV)
We discussed the differences between the 1935, 1936 and 1937 grilles earlier. I think that this is 1936...

...The truck shows signs of wear, so these photos weren't taken on its delivery day...

Were the trucks actually called “Breakdown Vehicles” back in the day ?

To get a base line vehicle in service date, I’ve done a breif perusal of Trove and no VR breakdown vehicle tenders come up. If the VR ‘name’ were different back then it would aid a Trove search. Might also get lucky with a dealer spruiking their tender win. For example, Leyland with their Tiger...

trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/24461...941%5D&searchLimits=

“The improver of natural knowledge absolutely refuses to acknowledge authority, as such. For him, skepticism is the highest of duties; blind faith the one unpardonable sin.” Thomas Huxley
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by lantana jack.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #206670 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Old trucks - ~1936 Ford
When I was a kid the little rag hood Austin, Standard ,Fords and Morrisses were very popular ,especially as second cars for wives.....I had a prewar Singer 9 roadster ,a poor mans MG .....the Singer motor was OHC ,very advanced for the day when lots of cars were sidevalves.....Singers are now worth heaps......They were a much better car than rubbish like Bug Eye Sprites and Triumph Spitfires that people rave about now.
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by JOHN.K..

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #206856 by Roderick Smith
My next-door neighbour through the 1950s had a small Morris soft-top: either an 8 or a 10. Surprisingly for the era, it was yellow.

No trucks in this one, but a panel van and two soft-tops.
The heritage-listed station building survives, with modifications. George Hotel survives, recognisably.

1940s~-StKilda-PROV

Roderick.

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Roderick Smith. Reason: fixed the date
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.596 seconds