Skip to main content

Lang's new Mack toy carrier

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #212836 by cobbadog
If you can extend the flat part of the tray but do it towards the back. Try to flatten out the sharp bump by making it with 2 angles rather than one. The estra piece for the extra angle may allow the tray to reach further forward.

If that is no good I was able to slightly round off the sharp bump on Lorry which helped a lot for laoding a car and then the bent up ramps also helped that issue.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by cobbadog.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #212840 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier

Lang wrote: I now have a major problem.

The flat section of the tray is 800 mm too short for the chassis. I stuffed up by having the cook hold the tape while I measured.

She now thinks I am a bloody idiot for wasting money on a tray too short. Should I let this just be another black jellybean in our marital lolly jar or tell her I have my eye on a Hiab crane to fill the gap between the headboard and the cab. I think the idiot plan is the best as the crane is some way off and crane vs new curtains budget debate can be postponed as long as possible.

Lang

Obviously the fair Mrs. Ell doesn't have a login for this page. :whistle:
Why were you holding the dumb end of the tape, Lang? :P

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #212841 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
Can you dock 500-800 off the end of the chassis and move the back crossmember the relivant distance?
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by V8Ian.

More
3 years 9 months ago #212849 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
There is a bloke in Tamworth that wrecks/repairs trucks who has heaps of Hiab and similar cranes laying around his property.

I can fin his number if you want.

More
3 years 9 months ago #212850 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
Sorry

My post seems to have been misread. I knew it was short right from the start with the crane in mind, just when she was helping with the tape to position the U- bolts it became public knowledge. She is very good about this stuff but I thought it was better to run with her miscalculation assumption rather than say there is another $3,000 to go on top of the new truck and new tray spent this week.

Next month it will be a stand alone transaction so won't look so bad. I know, what a weak prick but happy wife happy life.

I have already found a way to cut the bearers at the tray angle and bend it up around 7 degrees with about 2 hours work.

If anyone has one of Paul's $1-2,000 cranes that does not take over a metre of chassis length let me know.

Lang

More
3 years 9 months ago #212851 by prodrive
Doing the car transport, the "bump" in the beaver tail is always a mighty PITA. Same on your dropdeck trailer, the rotten truck or whatever it is you are putting up there nearly always drags it's guts on the sharp corner...
We solved this my making a very long and gentle "two stage" beaver, then made the ramps longer and extendable -slid the "base" of the ramps up under the tray, whilst the "up" part pf the ramps stayed upright. So dropping the ramps could be just a simple drop like a normal beaver, or if you had a low car,, you could also slide out/ extend the ramps from under the tray, and then they pivoted down from about half way along the ramps. (I'll try to find a photo)
But I don't reckon this would work for you lang as your ramps look way too heavy?
And I agree with the "locker box" in front of the tray- that would be bloody handy, make a tautliner style cover for them, chuck all your junk in there!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #212853 by Lang
I am thinking that I will fiddle with auxiliary wheel ramps to ease the angle. We did this in the Army when we got the Nomads and the tails were too high for the hangar doors. Made up a long ramp in the middle about a foot high under the door entrance. When the nose wheel went up this ramp the tail went down under the door and when the nose wheel came off the other end of the ramp the tail came up to normal level inside the hangar
The blocks will not have to be too high as they will not go right across allowing the exhaust etc to go between them.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Lang.

More
3 years 9 months ago #212855 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
Lang,I would say that Hayseed and Prodrive between them, have the answers for Froggie Dog,.

Qld Maroon? how about French Racing Blue? (joke)

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
3 years 9 months ago #212857 by Mrsmackpaul
I know your making fun of me but
Cheap cranes are out there

Dunno how much you wanna loft or how far
But with a few moments of googling heres two
I know of another just up the road

www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1493604177476013/

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #212858 by Lang
Paul

Not making fun of you at all! I know there are cranes at that price come up from time to time. I appreciate your input.

Ideally it will be a self contained oil tank with legs - basically a drop on unit. I have the ex-forklift electric (like a starter motor) driven pump.

A couple of tons at 2m would be good. Anything larger than this requires chassis frames, large oil tanks and serious work to fit. I also do not want to give up more than a metre of chassis, preferably less.

That facebook marketplace one in Victoria looks spot on. If it was in Qld I would be on the road.

Lang
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Lang.

Time to create page: 0.589 seconds