Skip to main content

Lang's new Mack toy carrier

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #217681 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
Paul

Not as tricky as they look. Standard 22.5 tubeless rims on spiders. Only difference is instead of a dog on each spider spoke to hold them on there is a full ring. Rears are the same ring set-up. Probably easier to get them tracking straight with pressure evenly spread all around the rim instead of a handful of clamp points. I have not thought about it but suppose the ring could be replaced with individual dogs but why?

Lang
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Lang.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago #217683 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
Froggiedog looks good as it is. Maybe just gold name and address on the doors like your previous truck. If noit gold how about French racing Blue?

The rings on the wheels will be a good talking point at truck shows in between demonstrating your crane.:woohoo:

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
3 years 3 months ago #217701 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
Will take a good tape measure or swap for known Aussie spider rim to decide but the hubs may be Trilex and your rims are the tubless conversion?? (Trilex rims came in 3 sections to aid tyre change/tube removal at side of road, look like spiders but are a different diameter)

More
3 years 3 months ago #217767 by Lang
Steve

It did not have a spare so when I was putting new drive tyres on I used a standard 22.5 tubeless rim out of my shed. The five rims got mixed up and the standard is one of the back 4. I could see no discernable difference.

If they had some other system in Europe maybe Mack Australia changed to common local system?

Lang

More
3 years 3 months ago #217789 by Lang
Paul and Steve

I owe you an apology. Talking BS as usual I failed to go out and look at what I had. I only changed the rears and as I said, just standard tubeless rims. The hub is a "spider" type outer but with the spokes joined to become a solid unit like a disk wheel. I had a good look and you could replace the ring with individual dogs if you wanted to.

The front is much the same. Still detachable rim. As the tyres were like new I left the the old locking ring style over the same spider/disc with a full clamping ring. I have my doubts you could put dogs on the front like the rear. When they wear (probably not in my lifetime) I will replace with tubeless rims all round.

Good pick up from a couple of blokes who know their stuff better than the owner!

Lang

Attachments:

More
3 years 3 months ago #217790 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
https://www.hcvc.com.au/forum/attachment/20892

https://www.hcvc.com.au/forum/attachment/20891

Lang I can't see why you couldn't take those Adapter off & use standard 335pcd Ten stud Euro Rims. If you wanted to that is..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
3 years 3 months ago #217792 by Lang
Hayseed

If you have a nice set of polished alloys for $50 each I would go to the trouble but she is not going to be a show winner against some of the beauties out there.

Lang

More
3 years 3 months ago #217794 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Lang's new Mack toy carrier
Not BS Lang but a great opportunity to test the old grey matter. Question though; conventional spider dogs act as wedges to get the rim both concentric (and not wobbly !) and tight on the hub. How do yours work, we need to know.
Tilly's Volvo F89 seen at Rocklea has a 10 stud to spider conversion on the rears to match the fronts (and trailers back in the day)

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #217796 by Lang
Steve

The front ring presses evenly all around the ridge on the rim. The inside mount is tapered and the outside ring face is flat just pushing the rim on until it jams. Took a big whack with a bump hammer to make the rim spring off after the ring was removed. Makes it pretty easy to go on straight but there is no gap or tapered slot for a wedge to go into so no-go for changes to the front.

On the rear the ring actually goes into a slot to squeeze the two rims together. When you undo the nuts you need to give the ring a whack and it bangs off like stuck spider dogs. I think if you took the ring off, a standard dog taper would jam into the slot like a common spider. As I said, why do it?

Hayseed has me thinking about a flash set of shiny mags but a thousand other jobs first!

Lang
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Lang.

More
3 years 3 months ago #217800 by Mrsmackpaul
You do see thos euro style alloy jobs on Faceless book buy swap and sell for around that 50 dollar mark so it is doo able

I dont think it matters either way, it was just a observation from me, thats all

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Time to create page: 0.556 seconds