Skip to main content

Re: Cannington -- PCT -- CCT -- PCT Road Lines P/L.

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #75102 by PCT
Hi All, Firstly Have we got confirmation that #20699 352M in reply #294, [The J L Pierce COE 352M] is the same truck in Cams290 Ad? Be nice to know! Especially whoever buys it.........Here's a shot of it back in the day we can blow up to a 10 X 8! :) ;)

Thanks for that shot WoodDuck, That is an unusual shot of Truck 4. I saw a shot of it ages ago in a private album and was offered a copy. I'll have to chase it up for here.. That air bag assembly was made in house by Cato. Frank Burke was always buying floats and cutting them up or modifying equipment to meet a specific task. He would often chalk it out on the workshop floor and Cato would knock it up!

Detective, Thats why I queried you on the sleepers as no ones definitely confirmed all the moves yet and where or what happened to the corporate bunk off Truck 4 to receive the one in reply #298?

The white bumper which looks like a painted 6 X 2 piece of timber was there till well into 1971. The trucks got painted in the new livery around work commitments from what I can work out. They were constantly busy at this time and on top of day to day jobs Truck 6 and Truck 7 were also doing the big shifts around Sydney in the night as well.. In relation to the bullbars going on with the new PCT Road Lines Livery. It was not all as it may seem.

BELOW Truck 6 in the early and faded Cannington PCT Livery with its bullbar fitted and also the dual exhaust stacks are gone meaning the NH250 Cummins has been installed prior to the new Livery. Frank made the point once that Truck 6 didn't get painted early on because it was in demand because of its gearing over the other trucks which was usually the case for it outside Truck 7.[NTC335].

BELOW Truck 10 left in new PCT Road Lines Livery with bullbar and Truck 6 to right.

Note both sun visors have been removed for painting and sign writing.

REGARDING PETERBILTS, CHECK the RSL Cab No. and Plate.

Truck 7 with 333 WABCO C1971

of course I'm not very good I've only driven in the dark
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by PCT.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #75103 by
thanks for that info PCT .. i suppose the whole research thing is a work in progress and when pictures and info like this comes up, the unfolding becomes clearer. i'm as much in the dark as anyone on these bunk moves as they generally (at least in with PCT) look the same

unit 6 had 6.44 sqdd as fitted at peterbilt so the gearing was appreciated in certain situations, and also the john l pierce peterbilt is ch/no 20699

just a thought about the bunk saga is that possibly in the hurly burly of it all, a bunk can cop an unfortunate whack and be consigned to the dust bin !! :-/ :-/ :'( :'(

More
12 years 1 month ago #75104 by grumpy
HEY DETECTIVE

You gotta change ya moniker to Sherlock Holmes. Unreal what you manage to bring to light........AMAZING ;D ;D ;D ;D

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
12 years 1 month ago #75105 by Swishy

Wooduck
Gudday M8

Gr8 thread they got run n here n all Yanky iron
LOL

RE:Truck No 4 with a Clip on rear Axle attachment makes it special. I'm guessing that it would have been a "Cato" invention
can U tell us more bout the 3rd axle
How was it detached
Wot Year etc

Thanx in advance
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
12 years 1 month ago #75106 by WoodDuck
I cant add any more to that picture as I found it on a Facebook site. Cato or Burkey would be the only people to be able to shed some more light on that. I'll ask someone to see if they can get more info from the builder himself, If possible. Cheers Swishy

First 1's free

12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #75107 by
nah grumpy .. as i keep sayin'....ya can learn a lot from drinkin' in pubs ! ;D ;D ;D ;) ;)

More
12 years 1 month ago #75108 by PCT

great pics again PCT and thanks, i'm sure from all .. when did that pacific coast paint scheme give way to the new PCT roadlines scheme,..1971-72 ? and also the introduction of the steel painted bullbars also seemed to co-incide with the new livery and looking at the picture of the line up in PCT's yard, with kevin russells cabover..it would nearly have to be around that timeframe...any clues anyone ?

ps...just noticed that the grille guard and ally bumper has been dispensed with in these last pics ..so possibly the bullbar and new paint wasn't far away 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Hi Detective and All,
To answer the first part of your post, Talking to Cobb, he said the new paint scheme started to appear as early as 1970. I imagine it was all based around work commitments. :-/

Do you know when Truck 8 left Kulnura?

Truck 8. Kulnura Quarries returns to Sydney and becomes Truck 10. PCT Road Lines PL

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #75109 by PCT

Good Morning all,
just found this on a FB site and knew I had to grab it and put in this collection. According to the uploader (Rodney Lloyd) " We lived near Ken Rathbourne earthmoving and it must have came to pick up a machine. (Grafton NSW)"
Truck No 4 with a Clip on rear Axle attachment makes it special. I'm guessing that it would have been a "Cato" invention. I know some one here will enlighten us all. Cheers.

[/sub]

G'Day WoodDuck Swishy Detective and All,

Re Ken Rathbourne, A friend of mine who is a regular place getter in the Flathead V8 Challenge said Ken Rathbourne was a pretty big time Earth Moving Contractor based in Mackay St Grafton in the early days. He remembers going for a ride in his COE Kenworth [maybe a piccy somewhere] and said he had a lot of gear and did a lot of big jobs like the foreshore at Byron Bay and various estates etc. He operated for quite a long time.

Regarding the Tri Drive, You could be excused for thinking it was a tri drive. It goes like this. Being Truck 4 it has a deep section Aluminum Chassis. Cato extends the Turntable/Oscillator base to the rear making it a total of two meters. He drills and bolts turntable angles top and bottom and bolts them together creating the sturdy frame.

He then moves the turntable back and positions it above the rear drive. He fabricates a heavy duty X member at the rear and to that with more angles and through bolts, he bolts the mounting frame that has attached a 1/2 Peterbilt Stabilair Suspension using a diff housing for the axle. So at a glance you would surely think it was a tri drive. It would be easy to loose money betting on that one. ;D It would unbolt but it was left in place and remained that way for quite a long time going by photos that are surfacing. :) ;)

Detective, Re the sleeper in WoodDucks reply #298. Nick Koorey bought the sleeper for the STL from Cummings? [spelling] in Brisbane and it was still on the truck when he sold it to the guy in the ACT. It also appears to be still on it, on page 69 in Big Rigs Down Under.

Truck 4. "Centipede"
PCT Road Lines PL
Photo by Phil Geer.

12 years 1 month ago #75110 by
g'day PCT and all .. pretty sure the first bloke to own nick's peterbilt in the ACT was dick (daisy) bates, and went through two more owners before ending her days at the belconnan tip when unfortunately it rolled off an embankment when on water cart duties.

i've found nothing more about its demise other than the 335 going to everlast diesels in, i think, queanbeyan but possibly the lynch's in hexham may know a little more

hope that helps...cheers

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #75111 by PCT
Hi Detective and All, Some of the flamboyant Peterbilts haven't fared to well carting water out here. The other on that comes to mind is the Just Water STL...Originally Hughie Waugh's 6 X 6, later 6 X 4. It suffered a similar accident as a water cart. I wonder what happened to it after it was listed for sale some time back, Did it end up in Sydney? :-?

I have received a few great shots from Nick of the CCT STL and the Caringbah Haulage 352. I'll get them up asap. I reckon Max Lynch was a good part of the hotline back then when all this was going on. Another man who made his mark with this Proven Product. To Max Lynch also RIP. :(

Time to create page: 0.591 seconds