Skip to main content

The Ray Gilleland collection

More
11 years 3 months ago #102830 by werkhorse
Well guys......My wonderful loving wife has managed to track me down a copy of Ray's new book......Bloody hard to find here in Tassie.....Got it last night and am currently 3/4 the way through it..... I have read the draft copies many times.......Now that I know exactly what photos are in it I will post them first then go through the others.

I will start on page 24 with this photo of a boundry gate on the Nullabor

Water Tanks under a tin roof to catch the rain ....when it comes

The Perth Express Albion HD 53...note that this photo has been cropped in the book

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #102831 by werkhorse
The MG TD

The Nullabor Kid ..... in his first semi....Cover Girl

A Mercury Tspt Albion HD 53 stuck in the mud

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
11 years 3 months ago #102832 by Mairjimmy
Did those blokes ever get out by digging or did they wait till it dried out,or would another truck be able to pull them out,We had a dodge 760 V8 semi with a pusher axle on the trailer with around 18 tonne load stuck on side of road in the mid 1960s,one drive wheel down and trailer down one side ,we had 4 tractors [40 hp tractors]and the truck only moved when the engine in truck had not stalled,only moved about a couple of feet each time ,but it wasn't doing the clutch any good.
Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
11 years 3 months ago #102833 by werkhorse
From what Ray told me they used a combination of those......I guess what ever was availible at the time and depending where they were

More
11 years 3 months ago #102834 by Mairjimmy
That number plate on the Commer [cover girl]is it a NSW plate ,why you ask,if it is Nsw it should start with F not an A :o :o :o
Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
11 years 3 months ago #102835 by werkhorse
yes it is but this photo would have been taken in about 1952ish and the truck was a couple of years old by then.

More
11 years 3 months ago #102836 by Mairjimmy
OK then when did NSW go from black and white plates to yellow and black and did they go to a F starting plate then for road taxed trucks or later.
Colin

More
11 years 3 months ago #102837 by Mrsmackpaul

That number plate on the Commer [cover girl]is it a NSW plate ,why you ask,if it is Nsw it should start with F not an A :o :o :o
Colin

"F" d if I know :D :D :D :D

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
11 years 3 months ago #102838 by werkhorse
Actually Mairjimmy that photo shows the single axle version of the trailer .... Which was later changed to twin axle, single wheels.....which would date it around 1950 .... Acording to what Ray told me

More
11 years 2 months ago #102839 by werkhorse
A story from Ray's collection....Part 1

The End of the Road

As the years rolled by, into the 1960

Time to create page: 0.538 seconds