Skip to main content

Feedback on the new look site

More
6 months 3 weeks ago - 6 months 3 weeks ago #248664 by Gryphon
Hi,

I have managed to get the spell checking to use the services and dictionary of your Browser as you type instead of the built in spell checker of the Forum editor. This should be more consistent with other websites where you are typing in text. However to see the normal 'right-click' menu with the suggested corrections you do need to hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard when you right click on the mouse otherwise you will only see 'Paste Ctrl+v' pop up.

To test that it is working for you type  few random characters into the next post or reply you make and you should see the random characters underlined in red, hold down ctrl and right-click the mouse.

For mobile device users I am not sure how it will appear for you or whether your device will correct you as you type.

Terry

Last edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by Gryphon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, Lang

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #248665 by Gryphon
Hi,

for those struggling with replies with Quoted text, particularly on mobile devices where the dotted red quote line doesn't appear, then you can try this method which might be more familar to those who understood the old way of doing things.

1. Select Quote from the action menu to display the Quoted text in the Reply editor box.
2. Select the "Source" button in the top left corner of the toolbar. This will show the text with the markup, special commands between square brackets.
3. At the bottom of the Quoted text you will see inside square brackets a slash followed by the word Quote. Type a few characters or words of your reply after the square brackets.
4. Select the "Source" button again to switch back to the normal Editor view and complete your reply.

Terry

The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, asw120

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #248666 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Feedback on the new look site

Hi,

for those struggling with replies with Quoted text, particularly on mobile devices where the dotted red quote line doesn't appear, then you can try this method which might be more familar to those who understood the old way of doing things.

1. Select Quote from the action menu to display the Quoted text in the Reply editor box.
2. Select the "Source" button in the top left corner of the toolbar. This will show the text with the markup, special commands between square brackets.
3. At the bottom of the Quoted text you will see inside square brackets a slash followed by the word Quote. Type a few characters or words of your reply after the square brackets.
4. Select the "Source" button again to switch back to the normal Editor view and complete your reply.

Terry

Thanks Terry, issue fixed.

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #248679 by Dave_64
Hi All, anyone else having hiccups with the new site?
I can clear just about any topic that comes up, except for some reason the major one of 'Feedback on the new look site', which has a backlog of 60 Green highlighted mentions, no matter what I do , they do not go away or in fact do absoloutely nothing! Just stare back at you!
Other thing I 've also found is that is that on the mobile phone application, Apple,everytime I back out of the app, use it the next day I have to log in all over again, not a big issues except only had to re-log in once every blue moon.
Simple fix for both??
Dave _64

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #248680 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Feedback on the new look site
Dave

Did you just start a new thread with the same name or did the system hive you off from the main game?

Lang

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #248681 by hayseed
Dave, I've merged your thread with an ongoing one of the same name.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #248701 by Morris
Last night at the club meeting I was speaking to a well known forum user and long time club member who was complaining about the new forum.
He said that the new look is nowhere as user friendly as the previous one.  I have to agree, although with postings from Terry and others, I have managed to sort out most things.

He, and I, do not understand why we now have to click on "Actions" before clicking on "Reply."  The procedure for bringing up spelling alternatives, suggested in the last day or two seems very ponderous and a pain in the a,,,.  Do we have to do it every time we miss-spell a word, or does once fix it?

He said that there are plenty of other forums available that are much more user friendly.  I have no idea myself, so cannot comment.

I think it would help if fixes to the problems that several people complain about, such as unwanted emails, having to log in every time we open the forum and a few others that I cannot think of at the moment, could be put up again in one page that would show answers to all the common problems.

The following is probably another topic but I think it has to be addressed.  The lack of use of the forum by club members.
We were both amazed that virtually none of the 49 people at the meeting appeared to have heard of Lang Kidby, who is one of the most prolific posters to this forum.

The webmaster has complained in the past that the club committee do not give him details of coming events, including our Annual Display, I suspect that none of the current committee, or the previous one for that matter, ever look at the forum.

Well, that's my rant for the day.
Morris.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, wouldyou, wee-allis

More
6 months 3 weeks ago - 6 months 3 weeks ago #248703 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Feedback on the new look site
Morris, at first I found the new format awkward to use, but the modifications being made have improved things and familarity is improving my progress with it. Basically I have rationalised and have no real issues with it. Well done Gryphon.

My main reason for responding though was your comments about the committee's lack of recognition towards the forum  It seems a pity they are not able to see the valuable asset it could afford them. If only for information about activities, but also not forgetting the general camaraderie I have been able to make contact with several contributors and the support and advice passed on has been well received.

It would seem that you, as you appear to be a regular participant at meetings, could possibly act as a co-ordinator/link between the forum and the committee?  
Last edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, wouldyou

More
6 months 3 weeks ago - 6 months 3 weeks ago #248704 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Feedback on the new look site
For the life of me I do not understand why my last message has a wide space in one section . . . despite two attempts to remove it!?

Also, when editing things, like the unexplained spacing, it would be great if we could see the previous copy (and replies by others) lower down, as before. 
Last edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #248705 by Morris
Hello PDU,
As I said in my post, I have sorted out most of the problems I had with the new forum and have previously thanked Terry and others for the work they have put in.

I do go to many of the club meetings but it is one and a half hour's drive each way, so I take it in turns to share with my mate who lives twenty minutes from me.  It is a good excuse to have a nice meal at a club near the meeting room. If he is not going, I watch the meeting on Zoom.  Camera coverage is pretty poor but they are trying to improve it.  I know the webmaster and will speak to him about my being a liaison.  We might have to speak to the President or Secretary as well.

My post that you commented on is designed to help those who are still having trouble with the new forum.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

Time to create page: 0.499 seconds