Skip to main content

Taxis

More
5 years 1 month ago #199333 by Bluey60
Replied by Bluey60 on topic Taxis
I’m with black duck with the HR unless the shine is distorting the shape the back doesn’t look to be straight down and I can’t make out any wrap around taillights the front is a bit to close to the falcon to be sure but if it is a HD the meat cleavers would be making the ford a bit uncomfortable
Bluey

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #199336 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Taxis
Most of the late 1930's, early 40's General Motors cars used the same basic body panels for the year. There were some variations, to make the buyer think they were different cars. The differences could have been guards, bonnet panels, boot shape or window shape, or even the number of windows. Chevs and Pontiacs were almost identical, with the Pontiac having the silver streak that gave it it's name. La Salles and Caddilacs had extended bodies to help justify their higher price.
Of course, they had different motors and levels of trim to help differentiate them, much as the later Kingswood and Statesman had.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
5 years 1 month ago #199338 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Taxis
1938 Nash and Packard had the same Holden bodies as the US GM line and Vauxhall 6 from the cowl back.

Attachments:

More
5 years 1 month ago #199515 by mikeg
Replied by mikeg on topic Taxis
PDU has it right out not being a Pontiac without the chrome strip and his guess about being a Chev is probably spot on. I would say it's a 39 Chev Master Delux, here's a pic of the back of one.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roderick Smith

More
4 years 3 months ago #205733 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Taxis
191027Su-Melbourne'HeraldSun'-London-taxis-ss.jpg
191208Su-Melbourne'Age'-London-taxi.jpg
191208Su-Melbourne'Age'-Tokyo(Japan)-taxi.jpg
191208Su-Melbourne'Age'-Cuba-Cadillac-taxi-ss.jpg

Roderick

Attachments:

More
4 years 3 months ago #205748 by Roderick Smith
170813Su-Melbourne'HeraldSun'-London-taxi-a-sss.jpg
170813Su-Melbourne'HeraldSun'-London-taxis-bus-b-sss.jpg
170922F Melbourne'Age'-London_taxis.jpg
171009M-Melbourne'Age'-airporttaxis.jpg

Roderick

Attachments:

More
4 years 3 months ago #205756 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Taxis - USA & Cuba
180825Sa-Melbourne'Age'-Cuba-old.taxi-ss.jpg
180902Su-Melbourne'HeraldSun'-NewYork.taxis-ss.jpg
190609Su-Melbourne'HeraldSun'-NewYork-taxis.jpg
Roderick

Attachments:

More
4 years 3 months ago #205827 by Roderick Smith
Some of the photos in this set had appeared earlier.
Roderick

Dec 5 2019 Ten cool taxis
* BLACK CAB, LONDON. Lots of legroom, enough height to accommodate a top hat, a turning circle tight enough to navigate the entrance to the Savoy Hotel, and an old-fashioned silhouette make the hackney cab delightfully retro – although they're not all black now. Forget satnav: cabbies must pass the legendary Knowledge exam by memorising thousands of routes and points of interest, which makes them the best taxi drivers in the world. See visitlondon.com
You can ride a London Black cab without taking off your top hat. Photo: Supplied
* MERCEDES-BENZ, MUNICH. It was a German who invented the taximeter in 1891, and German automobile companies have supplied many of the taxis in Europe (and elsewhere) over the decades. Mercedes-Benz has led the way in providing taxis since 1927, with its first diesel model arriving in 1936. Hop into the latest incarnation in Munich, where sleek, high-class taxis are painted cream and invariably polished to a shine. See muenchen.de
* VINTAGE PEUGEOT, ADDIS ABABA. The Peugeot 404 and 504, built in the mid-20th-century as good-value, durable family cars, are still operating – just about – in Ethiopia, though slowly vanishing thanks to lack of replacement parts and their appalling fuel efficiency. The cars are invariably painted sky blue and often have a handy roof rack for your suitcases or chickens. The eastern city of Harar has perhaps the biggest surviving fleet. See ethiopia.travel
Photo: Getty Images
* VW BEETLE, MEXICO CITY. The iconic green taxi with its white roof was phased out by city authorities in 2012, but unlicensed Beetles still prowl the byways. This is one of the world's few two-door taxis and hence most squeezed taxi ride, though some drivers remove the passenger seat to provide extra legroom. Belching exhaust fumes and the chance of getting mugged are other downsides, but what price nostalgia? See cdmxtravel.com
Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico, North America. Photo: Getty Images
* STANDARD TAXI, SINGAPORE. Forgo premium and limousine taxis for what Singaporeans call standard taxis, because they'd be impressive anywhere thanks to stiff competition and stringent regulations. Taxis are cheap, air-conditioned, clean, driven by courteous English-speaking drivers and painted in lollypop colours (yellow, pink, red) depending on the company. This is one of few cities with sedate taxi drivers, since warning beeps sound if the speed limit is exceeded. See visitsingapore.com
* TOYOTA COMFORT, TOKYO. This Toyota model was released in 1997 specifically as a taxi, and is distinctive for its ordinary, rather boxy appearance and fender mirrors. The driver controls the opening and closing of the back door. Expect an immaculate if old-fashioned interior and cabbies in white gloves who refuse to accept tips. Confusingly, a red light on the dashboard means the taxi is available; green means it's occupied. See gotokyo.org
Tokyo taxi's are known for their immaculate interiors. Photo: Japan National Tourism Organisation
* VINTAGE CADILLAC, HAVANA. If you're a fan of retro American cars, Cuba has a fleet old Plymouths, Oldsmobiles, Packards and Studebackers. Those used as shared taxis are falling to pieces, and regular tourist taxis are more likely to be from Hyundai. Yet lovingly restored (often modified) cars from the mid-20th-century still take you through Havana. Choose a lipstick-pink or parrot-green Cadillac from the 1950s and you'll feel like Elvis Presley. See cubatravel.cu
Taxi in red old american car driving in the streets of old Havana in Cuba in November 2018. Photo: Getty Images
* YELLOW CAB, NEW YORK. Yellow cabs have cruised Manhattan's streets since the 1920s; the Ford Crown Victoria provided the most iconic look until production ceased in 2011. Now most cabs are Nissans, and under threat from share-ride services. True, taxis were once grubby and driven by irate drivers expecting large tips, but nothing else felt quite as New York. How will Hollywood set the scene when they're all gone? See nycogo.com
Taxicabs queue up outside Grand Central Station, NYC Photo: New York Convention and Visitors Bureau
* PORSCHE CAYENNE, MOSCOW. If an oligarch's private limousine isn't available to you, then call up a pre-booked private Porsche in one of the world's most expensive cities. They're painted a hideous orange to ensure they catch the eye of envious pedestrians. Don't be surprised at other fancy cars zooming in taxi lanes: rich owners register their cars as taxis so they can beat Moscow's notorious traffic jams. See russiatourism.ru
* HINDUSTAN AMBASSADOR, KOLKATA. This classic, canary-yellow, made-in-India taxi was designed on the Morris Oxford and produced between 1957 and 2014. It became a status symbol as a private car, and as a taxi is renowned for its durability, roomy back seat and capacious boot. Ambassadors are now under threat from age and Uber, yet still buzz around Kolkata, piloted by chatty drivers eager to relay the latest cricket scores. See wbtourismgov.in
See also: 'No change': Six classic scams taxi drivers use on tourists
< www.traveller.com.au/the-worlds-10-best-taxi-experiences-h1jyyk >
* The new Tokyo taxi is 100x better than the old Crowns/Comforts. The old models couldn't take more than 1 large suitcase, and the suspension is far too soft for highway speeds. USB charging, heated seats, headroom and luggage space make the new ones the best in the world.
* The beeping alarm had no effect on my Sigapore cab driver a couple of years ago. We beeped our way all the way from Changi almost to Orchard Road - it was at night and traffic was light.
* ALL taxis from Schipol airport in Amsterdam are Tesla.

191205-Traveller-taxi-a-London.jpg
191205-Traveller-taxi-b-AddisAbaba-Peugot.jpg
191205-Traveller-taxi-c-MexicoCity-VW.jpg [I've travelled in these]
191205-Traveller-taxi-d-NewYork.jpg

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: eerfree

More
4 years 1 month ago #207629 by Roderick Smith
190813Tu-'BrisbaneTimes'-uber.vs.taxi (two)
190816F-Melbourne'HeraldSun'-airport.taxi.touts.
190822Th-'BrisbaneTimes'-taxis.
190822Th-Melbourne'HeraldSun'-airport.taxis.

Roderick

More
4 years 1 month ago #207721 by Roderick Smith
190915Su-Melbourne'HeraldSun'-CityLink-taxi.tolls.
191010Th-Melbourne'HeraldSun'-Checker-taxi (two photos)
191017Th-Melbourne'HeraldSun'-Checker.taxi (two photos)

Roderick

Time to create page: 0.607 seconds