Skip to main content

Electric vehicles and alternate fuel sources

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #239579 by ElectricDreams
Goes a bit both ways though, a land rover with 85lt is pretty useless as well. Mine was the 130 in front, 550km was all it got for its Euro5 2.4lt donk with 6 speed box. $2500 dollars later it had 140lt of sill tanks so totalled 225lt. Had range but was heavy and compromised.

Not sure what ol mate got, his was ex army with the famed Isuzu.
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by ElectricDreams.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #239580 by Mrsmackpaul

Lang is bringing our attention to. Logical arguments based on statistics.

Does he ?

Some would say it is fear mongering, the exact opposite of what global warming alarmists are doing

And no Lang I'm not having a go at you or anyone else

But if people start quoting what others are doing on the forum like this then it could potentially be a big can of worms they are opening

As to all the rest of it, to many of us are claiming to be experts on each side of the equation and claiming our expert knowledge on Google and a lot of here say

Dunno we need to be careful we aren't getting our expert advice from a dud source

All these so called experts from what every side have their own axe to grind and it would be sensible to remember that Google has algorithms that refine our searches based on our passed Google history

So if you keep on searching along one train of thought you'll get fed bucket loads of the same stuff

All this other stuff we will find out in the future

Will electric trucks play a big part in our future, probably
Will they be interstate line haul prime movers, most likely not and if the railways ever got their ring into gear the line haul trucks would be a thing of the past
Is it likely railways are gunna take over, not very, they had nearly 100 year head start and still couldn't organise a bun fight in a bakery

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #239584 by Lang
Paul

I don't think there are too many people claiming to be experts particularly on this subject (except one problem child last year). You , like most of us, are not immune to spurring up and giving opinion without any supporting evidence if it does not suit your view. The Google or internet information conspiracy theory is very convenient to dismiss opposing opinion but the vast majority of Google/Wiki or whatever stuff people quote, on any subject, has a known source. I have not seen too many Facebook or Twitter warriors being quoted on the forum.

That is one of the benefits of a general education, to be able to receive large amounts of information and form an opinion. Even Einstein's various theories and conclusions are dismissed as merely opinion by people with opposite views.

The only way to win an argument is to present a more compelling case not trying to belittle the sources or even the case of others. Few salesmen ever sold a car by running down the oppositions product but by convincing the buyer what a good thing his product was.

I think the subject is really important and even when I want to kick the dog after the latest Green Senator's outrageous utterance I have to admit although it is total crap her second last sentence was absolutely true.

Roll on a gentlemen's discussion taking or leaving that which you want and letting us know what your reasons are and if you are passionate selling it by countering not trying to shut it down.

Once again just my opinion.

Lang
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Lang.

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #239603 by ElectricDreams
Yep, all hacks trying to make our way through life. The written word often lacks intended expression, and even though we all like to think we are right, we are all just trying to be happy; so emotions and views shape how its read. Then there are some who just know a lot, some not. Some like a lot of detail, others not. Some say a lot, same say nothing. Meh,

Sats were mentioned earlier, now there is a good example of the definition expert. We all know how stats can be manipulated. Vital on one hand and complete BS on the other. The reporter however believes they are relaying the truth regardless of position.

I got my story wrong with my mate who was involved in EV charging. Nice guy but being the socially awkward engineer type I misunderstood. He was involved in making charge station generic, bit like a fuel station I guess. Some links for web media.
www.drive.com.au/news/tritium-electric-car-charging-technology/

www.smartcompany.com.au/startupsmart/new...5-billion-valuation/

The Kenworth link was provided by a dealer principal of Brown and and Hurley, the US made truck is coming down under for trails this year. Better hurry as there is not much left of it, but again another step in the process of achieving the goal. I was told it will be 5 years before realistically being available. People focus on the end product, but also takes time to create a local manufacturing arm and train technicians for good support.

More
1 year 7 months ago #239605 by Mrsmackpaul
At first glance the KW looks pretty useless with only a 150 mile range

But then I wonder what the average distance each day of trucks running around on city type of work is ?

I would think a bigger percentage of trucks are on city work than interstate or intrastate

Maybe it is more than capable for 75% of all truck journeys

Paul

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #239608 by ElectricDreams
Yes I think we often think an ET needs to do 1000km or its useless. But 2 to 350km range would see waste collection, council works, cicvil, courier etc all covered for most part. Possibly Agies in there as well but they are heavy suckers. Australia has around 500,000 bodied trucks and 120,00 articulated. So bodied trucks market is a good target for ETs. Then if you can run your day on 1/4 of the cost of diesel and have very little servicing costs, that talks. Especially when 98% of trucks are private family owned ventures.

Think public health is also forgotten largely in EVs. Perhaps from the days of coal as a source of heating, then a source of populshion, human respiratory health has played its part in evolution. Leaded fuel to unleaded, car emissions from none to today are probably more about public health than climate. To have our cities serviced by trucks with no emissions and whisper quiet makes a lot of sense for governments, let alone myself.

I see the Qld Gov just dropped a plan of more solar and pumped hydro to roll out over the next 10 years.
www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-28/queenslan...palaszczuk/101481160

I think like it or not, and though we may all feel modern, our current fossil fuelled vehicles are starting to look a lot like a horse and cart.

More
1 year 7 months ago #239613 by Mrsmackpaul
Yes QLD government appears to be running full steam ahead
NSW, Vic and SA have similar plans underway

As I have said a few times on this thread

It doesn't matter whether we like it or not, it appears to be happening and if that's the case we really need to think about how we position ourselves to fit in with the coming changes

To me this isnt argument but just learning how to deal with what is coming around the corner whether we like it or not

Paul

More
1 year 7 months ago #239615 by Lang
Paul

You are absolutely right it is coming whether we like it or not.

The discussion is about what the cost/benefit balance is likely to be. At the moment running through the wheat fields in slow motion towards Nirvana is holding sway. "We'll all be runed", said Hanrahan, mob are becoming fewer. As with everything people are getting their aspirations mixed with reality and the eventual full transition will be much longer than advertised and the real cost (dismissed from nearly all discussion) will probably see us in much the same economic position but cleaner and greener.

A very painful dose of reality is facing the loss of our coal exports (not likely to happen soon with India and China). Australia will fall a long way in the list of most wealthy countries in the world with our subsequent loss of living standards.

It is all part of evolution but unless the bad is given the same weight as the good and not dismissed as some sort of heretic belief we will be very poorly placed to plan and address the eventual best outcome.

Adversary positions and missionary zeal are really bad for our future. We can only advance if we accept there are problems there to be solved. Everybody with even the slightest bit of intelligence wants a cleaner, greener world. Most people pointing problems out are not the enemy, they want solutions without destroying our economy in the process.

Lang

More
1 year 7 months ago #239619 by Mrsmackpaul

Paul

A very painful dose of reality is facing the loss of our coal exports (not likely to happen soon with India and China). Australia will fall a long way in the list of most wealthy countries in the world with our subsequent loss of living standards.

Lang

This a part of equation most people haven't even thought about and will make all people's other fears pale into insignificance

Might a good reason to for renewable push as we will need cheap energy and lots of it

As I have also said on here before, dollars and cents will drive the change, not government policy

Paul

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
1 year 7 months ago #239621 by hayseed
It's just a Classic case of .....Everything Old, is New again A hundred odd years ago 38% of all Cars in the USA were Electric..

rarehistoricalphotos.com/electric-cars-h...-pictures-1880-1920/

group.vattenfall.com/press-and-media/new...re-on-the-rise-again

archive.curbed.com/2017/9/22/16346892/el...car-history-fritchle

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

Time to create page: 0.574 seconds