Skip to main content

Electric vehicles and alternate fuel sources

More
1 year 7 months ago #240074 by Bluey60
If or when we end up with whole fleets running batteries how many batteries are these changeover stations going to need on the shelf charged,charging and flat just taken out trucks going down will probably need one the way back up and some if not all will need a change at both ends
Not trying to be a smartA just thinking of the number of trucks running the highways
I suppose the inland rail will get a few off the road not zero emissions but still more efficient than trucks then use electric trucks at each end to do local delivery

Bluey

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #240080 by 77louie400

Same person also sent me this

www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/...cFyz6vqv6Lj9-7vqkTs4
Swap and go: electric trucks to run between Sydney and Brisbane using exchangeable batteries
Batteries can be swapped in three minutes, removing the need for trucks to plug in and charge
An Australian company is planning to trial electric trucks with swappable batteries allowing almost non-stop travel for heavy vehicles between Sydney and Brisbane.

Developed by Janus Electric, the batteries can be swapped in three minutes, removing the need for trucks to plug in and charge for up to 12 hours.

The batteries will reportedly average between 400-600km a charge, with drivers only needing to stop at placed charge-and-change stations along the initial Brisbane-Sydney trial route.
The stations will be located strategically, to coincide with mandatory driver fatigue breaks, including at Hemmant in Brisbane, Taree and Coffs Harbour on the Pacific Highway, and Prestons in Sydney

I noticed as I read the article is 12 months

So did this ever happen ?

Paul

I believe it's proceeding well and they are doing local truck conversions as well, only what I have read seen nothing in real life, what I have seen over the years is is the changeover in mining and manufacturing over the last 50 years to electric and it is hard keep track of. Battery haul trains are in the pipeline in the west and there were half a dozen electric cars in the parking lot last time I was Aldi. A lot of vested interest in oil revenue by government and others is holding progress back, when I get in my 77 louie it's the same as any 2020 truck except for all the fluffy bits, walk out of a 1970's factory into a 2022 factory and it's a different planet, Why carn't we just get on with it ( I have been a industrial electrican having gap years in trucks for 50 years this year).

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #240083 by werkhorse

Same person also sent me this

www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/...cFyz6vqv6Lj9-7vqkTs4
Swap and go: electric trucks to run between Sydney and Brisbane using exchangeable batteries
Batteries can be swapped in three minutes, removing the need for trucks to plug in and charge
An Australian company is planning to trial electric trucks with swappable batteries allowing almost non-stop travel for heavy vehicles between Sydney and Brisbane.

Developed by Janus Electric, the batteries can be swapped in three minutes, removing the need for trucks to plug in and charge for up to 12 hours.

The batteries will reportedly average between 400-600km a charge, with drivers only needing to stop at placed charge-and-change stations along the initial Brisbane-Sydney trial route.
The stations will be located strategically, to coincide with mandatory driver fatigue breaks, including at Hemmant in Brisbane, Taree and Coffs Harbour on the Pacific Highway, and Prestons in Sydney

I noticed as I read the article is 12 months

So did this ever happen ?

Paul

Went so well I believe they even had a "barbecue" to celebrate no that long ago ...

... Well ... Something was cooking ... Not sure it was Snags or steaks though :woohoo: :dry: :whistle: :whistle:

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by werkhorse.

More
1 year 7 months ago #240087 by Dave_64
So,if its only going to take a few minutes to swap a barrery pack over, say at Tarcutta or Nhill, given the sheer nunbers of vehicles actually doing changeovers at any given hour of the day, you could see the need for many multiple charging or recharging outlets.
I'm assuming that these changeover packs are similar size to a std pallet size, and must have some sort of plug in snap connector to facilitate quick transfer.
There would obviously have to be a large storage shed to store the spare packs, not insurmountable of course, going to be interesting days ahead!

More
1 year 7 months ago #240089 by cobbadog
Short answer is NO. there is not an exchange at Taree that I have seen or heard of. However, they are building right now a truck stop at the Northern end of Cundletown right on the highway. Not sure if it is going to be a part of Pearsons Transport or not. At the moment the roadworks leading into and out of are still under construction and the block of ground has been sort of levelled out but only earthworks happening now and no buildings.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
1 year 7 months ago #240097 by KelOz
Hi Werk i saw that bbq you mentioned somewhere , took a fair while to put out and 2 or 3 crews from memory they were sliding them thru the front but read somewhere now hanging them where the fuel tanks were , maybe the way of the future but but always have soft spot for the old cummins

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
1 year 6 months ago #240315 by Swishy

If Only

LOL

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, wee-allis

More
1 year 5 months ago #241724 by grandad
A little snippet about electric vehicles

Honest Government Ad | Electric Vehicles - YouTube

.........be careful of the language
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH, wee-allis, werkhorse

More
1 year 5 months ago #241726 by Mrsmackpaul
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I shouldn't laugh, but it is pretty accurate about whats going on in Australia

That been said even if Australia did go fullt green tomorrow on world scale we aren't gunna make bugger all difference
But I still believe we should lead by example

I dont think we are even close to leading by example, sort of more leading by excuses

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: asw120, grandad

More
1 year 5 months ago #241732 by hayseed

A little snippet about electric vehicles

Honest Government Ad | Electric Vehicles - YouTube

.........be careful of the language

That Juice Media do Clever Work... I often Check out their Videos...!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
The following user(s) said Thank You: overlander

Time to create page: 0.577 seconds