Skip to main content

Fuel Running Cost

More
1 year 5 months ago #241378 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Fuel Running Cost
Comparing the cost per litre for diesel does not make an excuse for price gouging in any sense of the meaning. Comparing it to water which should a cent per litre as the supplier does not pay for it, it is given to them.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #241389 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Fuel Running Cost
Isn't it normal in free enterprise to charge as much as you can, isn't that how profit is made

I'm always stunned when I hear the words " price gouging"

I have never known a wage earner to say to the boss "Im not worth that much, I did stuff all all week, here you keep half"

Dunno, fuel is still cheap if we consider how hard it is to push a car and all that a car gives us

Or perhaps you can beat the fuel companies and cover your house and sheds with solar panels and charge your electric car for free :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
1 year 5 months ago #241393 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Fuel Running Cost

Comparing the cost per litre for diesel does not make an excuse for price gouging in any sense of the meaning. Comparing it to water which should a cent per litre as the supplier does not pay for it, it is given to them.

Cobba, not necessarily correct. I worked for a mob who had a spring on their property and sold the water to a major bottling company for 2 cents per litre out the gate. An employee sat in the front room and recorded the rego of each truck as it left. That was almost 30 years ago.

More
1 year 5 months ago #241398 by prodrive
Replied by prodrive on topic Fuel Running Cost
Yeah I reckon there's some truth in that Pauly. Much as I reckon the whole fuel price thing is a total scam, 'singapore bench pricing", "Fuel cycle", "seasons"- whatever.
Personally I reckon they simply make the cost of fuel as complicated as they possibly can, so there is no possible way that ANYONE can decipher how it is actually priced.
How else can you explain the massive variation in prices all across town, when all the fuel comes from the same refinery? (As far as I know there are only two refineries in Victoria, Altona and Geelong)
And the oil companies have done an absolutely brilliant job of telling everyone that "there's no money in fuel", everyone knows that, right? (Who told you that- guess who?) To the point that people actually believe that they HAVE to have a shop /711 / convenience store attached so the poor hard done by darlings can actually exist. Rubbish, I say. They make an absolute squillion, spend an absolute squillion, waste an absolute squillion, whilst continually running the line that "there's no money in fuel.."
The fact is, everyone, the government and the fuel companies, has their hand in the cookie jar, and NONE of the interested parties has any interest, no matter how remote, and no matter how much they SAY they are concerned about it, of lowering the cost of fuel. Why on earth would they? Altruism??? Yeah nah.
So the next point is, the answer to high prices is, high prices. They force us to look for alternatives, or not to drive, charge more for the freight, or whatever is our reality.
Of course the fuel companies gouge us- thats their job, it's their duty to their shareholders, and it's the same for all of us. If we could charge twenty grand to run a truck from Sydney to Melbourne, wouldn't we be silly not to? And of course, the job of the free market, is to make Pauly (for example) say "Geez, twenty grand- I'll do it for fifteen" so he gets the job. Then Cobba says "gee, fifteen grand? shoot, I can make a good quid at TEN grand". And so on down the line until it's not worth doing, or we go broke. Then someone sees an unmet demand for a truck to go to Sydney and says "I can make a quid outa that" ..
The problem is, as far as I can see, is when stupid rules and regulations favour one mob over another- eg for transport, the cost of compliance gets so onerus and complicated that small fella's gradually fall by the wayside, and the L.n foxes/Tolls of the world are the only ones that have the economies of scale and business models to be "compliant". Which is a bloody shame..
Anyway, thats nearly a rant!!! Doesn't mean I'm right, of course, but that's what think anyway.

Have a good weekend you blokes.
Cheers
Rich
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, husky, asw120, wee-allis, oliver1950

More
1 year 5 months ago #241401 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Fuel Running Cost
Rich (Prodrive) wrote :-
" If we could charge twenty grand to run a truck from Sydney to Melbourne, wouldn't we be silly not to? And of course, the job of the free market, is to make Pauly (for example) say "Geez, twenty grand- I'll do it for fifteen" so he gets the job. Then Cobba says "gee, fifteen grand? shoot, I can make a good quid at TEN grand". And so on down the line until it's not worth doing, or we go broke. Then someone sees an unmet demand for a truck to go to Sydney and says "I can make a quid outa that" ..

...........................and with THOSE few well chosen sentences, the Australian transport industry over the past 50-60 years, or at least up to the millenium, has been well and truly encapsulated!
Reckon I had seen it from both sides of the fence!
Dave_64
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
1 year 5 months ago #241403 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Fuel Running Cost
All those replies are very true, but there was a benchmark set way before all these recent price hikes and if they were happy with the prices they were charging why do they need to rip us off on the diesel, petrol never went up very much at all. To me it is gouging and nothing more.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Inter-Action

More
1 year 5 months ago #241404 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Fuel Running Cost
Cobba I guess a lot has to do with which side of the bowser your viewing it from

None of what any of us say, fuel simply seams expensive until I compare it to smokes
Bugger me the old lung lollies are ridiculous in price

Anyway Im definitely going way off topic there so I best not go any further with that

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
1 year 5 months ago #241406 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Fuel Running Cost
If theres no money in fuel....why did that German Puma mob come out here and buy out all the independants?

More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #241407 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Fuel Running Cost

And the oil companies have done an absolutely brilliant job of telling everyone that "there's no money in fuel", everyone knows that, right?
Cheers
Rich

Do a google search for Terminal Gate Pricing Every Fuel Company/importer is required by LAW to display this on their Website..
It's the Price ANYBODY can purchase a full tanker Load of Fuel From them.. all the Big fuel companies websites display.. it . EG
BP,
Mobil,
Ampol,
Shell,
Liberty,
Puma
United
Metro ......ect.. Check It out then compare prices with your Local Servo....!!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by hayseed.

More
1 year 5 months ago #241410 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Fuel Running Cost
John

Puma started in Central America and is now based in Singapore. It bought up several Australian independents but is no longer in that game in Australia as it is now owned by Chevron (Caltex) operating a bit like QANTAS and Jetstar.

Lang

Time to create page: 0.500 seconds