Skip to main content

Horses

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #103087 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: Camels
I have more camel photos than elephant photos, but still not enough for an independent thread.

890122Su Pakistan R Smith
Now to start hunting: that could be Baluchistan Desert, Sindh Desert or Thar Desert, but not Cholistan Desert: I have been to only three of the four.

Ahab the Arab (Sheik of the burning sands), jumped on his camel named Clyde...1969:
<
;

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

From a different poster, in a different thread:
One camel-power 4WD on Barkly Hwy at Soudan Station.

Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Roderick Smith.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #103088 by
Replied by on topic Re: Horses
.....i had a couple of camels once Rodders.....weren't as good as Marlboro or Viscount though ::) ::) ;D ;D

More
10 years 10 months ago #103089 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: Horses
did you no camel smokes are the only brand that show their factory on the pack ? :D :D

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
10 years 10 months ago #103090 by Roderick Smith
The fun part:
Did the Camel cigarette brand have the tagline 'Imported fresh from the USA'? It was sufficient to deter me from smoking at all, not just from smoking that brand.

My photo from yesterday wasn't as exotic as I thought. It was a short tourist operation at Clifton Beach, Karachi.

After my camel adventure, I had a cup of tea with the proprietor and his camel. I asked the camel if it wanted sugar in its tea, and it nodded. I asked: 'One lump or two?'.

The serious: Camels were a very important aspect of outback commercial travel/haulage in the 19th century. They were well suited to the Australian inland climate and terrain.
The name and tradition live on in the named train 'Ghan', and its branding. The name was a nickname from the 1920s, a contraction of 'Afghan', the people who operated the camels. One of the famous tourist posters of the 1930s showed a Trans Australia Railway express passing a camel.
Today, there are many operators of camel safaris. As I can attest from experience: far less comfortable than riding a horse bareback. No wonder long-distance riders had to bind their groins for protection. In the photos at this link, notice that all riders are in the second spot, not the leading one.
< www.ayersrockresort.com.au/camel-tours> ;
From it: '...Camels, ideally suited to the hot, dry climate of Australia's interior, were imported in the 19th century and remained the principal means of outback transport until railways and roads were established. Today there are an estimated 200 000 one-humped, dromedary type camels in the wild...'.

In searching for camels in use for building Trans Australia Railway (1913-17), I found this clip which may have been mentioned at the start of the thread. No camels, but a horse buggy and a glimpse of a horse dray:
< aso.gov.au/titles/documentaries/transcon...tal-railway/clip1> ;

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

More
10 years 10 months ago #103091 by ray
Replied by ray on topic Re: Horses
Here is the Coober Pedy version of a camel caravan.
[IMG

More
10 years 10 months ago #103092 by Roderick Smith
That Coober Pedy photo is magnificent.

Here are two away from sand & gibber: in a cool green oasis. This is Ghosch Paddock, Richmond Victoria. The commercial operator was providing rides as part of family fun at the end of a 'fun run' from Newport across West Gate Bridge. These two are my only ones of a camel train (albeit a mini one); all the others are singles.

920412Su Gosch Paddock Richmond Vic camel train. R Smith

Humphrey the camel:
<
;

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria

More
10 years 10 months ago #103093 by grumpy
Replied by grumpy on topic Re: Horses
Common problem on the roads here in the Middle East, especially at night.

More
10 years 10 months ago #103094 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Re: Horses

came across this today planting sugar cane 1945 1946
Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

10 years 10 months ago #103095 by
Replied by on topic Re: Horses
A couple more to add

[IMG