Skip to main content

Horses

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #103047 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Re: Horses
Great Photos' Mate....

Bloody fascinating............What's the go with the Top Hat :-/

Don't stop...

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by hayseed.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 1 month ago #103048 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: Horses
This link to a horse-drawn vehicle at Queensland Ambulance Museum has just been supplied by another poster in another thread.
johnm.id.au/Queensland%20Anbulance%20Mus...slides/IMG_1960.html

Post-edited in the light of the informative message below.
The ambulance thread covers paramedic and patient transport on all sorts of vehicles which are not beds in panel vans, so the horse one in the link would match that.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Roderick Smith.

More
11 years 2 months ago #103049 by greenie
Replied by greenie on topic Re: Horses

This link to Queensland Ambulance Museum has just been supplied by another poster in the ambulance thread, and is relevant here too.
It shows a preserved horse-drawn ambulance.

Roderick B Smith

NO, it does not show an ambulance at all, it is actually a Road Cart with elliptic springs and has a body of the English Derby Cart type fitted.
It would never have been used as an ambulance, unless the 'cadaver' was able to be seated. It was used as a vehicle to get a first aid person to the site quickly.
It even has the misnomer of actually being called a 'buggy', appears whom-ever decided to display it and name it, was a tad deficient in the grey matter department.

A Cart has 2 wheels, a Buggy has 4 wheels, shows that this 'misnomer' is still being perpetuated by ignorant and ill-informed persons.

About the only true OLD ambulance vehicle on show there is the Ashford Litter, the next ambulance is then the Ford.

regards greenie [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]

ps - if you care to dispute this lot, I do happen to have a large library of horse drawn vehicle plans, which clearly show what I have just stated.

11 years 1 month ago #103050 by
Replied by on topic Re: Horses
...aaaahhh good on ya greenie .. we can all stand to be corrected on the odd occasion....good info you've supplied there mate...thanks :) :) 8-) 8-)

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #103051 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic Re: Horses
My 2012 eastern Java (Indonesia) photos are similar to the earlier ones.
The bullock set required surmounting a rise to road level and to join the main sugar line. On the run, a second pair would be yoked in front for that short burst, but I didn't get a photo which shows this clearly.

120721Sa Jatiroto horse R Smith
120723M Pandjie bullocks R Smith

Roderick B Smith

Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Roderick Smith.

More
11 years 1 month ago #103052 by Johnm020
Replied by Johnm020 on topic Re: Horses
To put the horse drawn vehicle in the Qld. ambulance museum into context it would turn out with a crew of 3 being the driver and 2 bearers on board towing the Ashford litter. When they arrived at the patient the driver would return to the centre and the 2 bearers would then proceed on foot with the litter to the hospital. They did it hard in those days.
The first motor vehicles were in cities where the litter was carried on the back and unloaded and pushed back to the hospital.

More
11 years 1 month ago #103053 by Roderick Smith
IIRC, these come from a local operator (Creswick?), and are also the horses used when Ballarat Tramway Museum runs its horse tram. That is normally the Mothers Day Sunday (May), which coincides with heritage week, and Ballarat has many heritage events.

Roderick B Smith

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #103054 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Re: Horses
Seeing I started this horses chapter and a few of my photos disapeared when I tried to organize my Flickr photos I thought I might put a few back

One of Dad in 1920/21

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #103055 by Mairjimmy

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

More
11 years 3 weeks ago #103056 by Mairjimmy

Time to create page: 0.501 seconds