Skip to main content

McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel

More
4 years 2 weeks ago - 4 years 2 weeks ago #208639 by cobbadog
After shaving my legs and putting on my skirt to do this quarters BAS
I started digging towards the bottom of the hopper. First I had to remove the drain plug on one side as the plug on the opposite side is broken off flush with the block. Then slowly drove the long screw driver into the mess to loosen it and lift it out. All the time digging away at the scale on the sides. So far with one side down to the bottom and not clean as yet I have half filled a 2 litre container up with crap. Start on the other side tomorrow.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by Sarge.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208646 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel
Considering going for an audition? :blink: :whistle:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208651 by hayseed

cobbadog wrote: After shaving my legs and putting on my skirt to do this quarters BAS

Wanna Do another one...:kiss:

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208656 by cobbadog
No thanks, shaving one leg was bad enough I don't want to do the other one nor another BAS.
Yep, I am covered in fur. Brush me back each night before going to the kennel.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208703 by cobbadog
Been at it again today and got to the bottom of the hopper and removed about another litre of rust and dirt out. I started hosing out the dust and then kept poking rods down and across the hopper along the sides and underneath the cylinder. The holes for the cooling of the head allowed me access to get under the cylinder and break away the rust scale. I was using a small magnet to lift out the chunks of rust and the hose to wash away the dirt.
The oil primer tube is now facing up like a snorkel ready for when it gets the bath.

Attachments:

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208705 by cobbadog
Then I used some button head screws and silicone to block the 5 holes that cool the head and a bit of flat bar iron and silicone to seal off the oil primer hole. Once cured I will start with a molasses bath to see if this helps clean the rest up. Before plugging the cooling holes I used them to put a rod through to get under the cylinder and I had to use a hammer to break away rust scale from the cylinder to the base of the hopper then a small magnet to lift out the chunks of rust scale.

Attachments:

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208726 by asw120
I have a Lister D head in the bath as we speak. I find a good blast to clean the surface every couple of days speeds things up a lot. The crankcase on this thing is worse than the hopper, to give you an idea of the condition.
You will end up with a really nice engine.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208732 by cobbadog
Hi Jarrod, what strength did you mix the molasses?
Last time I mixed some up it was about 20% molasses and it cleaned up the parts to a certain standard and then I forgot about it and a week or so later I uncovered it and the stink knocked me over, it was worse than a Brewery Horses Fart.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208754 by JOHN.K.
The stink is just bacteria growing in the solution ...dont think it affects the process adversely.......Theres isnt a lot of advantage /or any in making the molasses too strong....the whole solution can only get to around 12% alcohol ,when the alcohol kills the yeast.....So more sugar is just giving the bacteria more food.

More
4 years 2 weeks ago #208763 by cobbadog
Got the hopper all cleaned out nicely and is now soaking in a molasses solution to treat the rust left on the cast iron. When you fill it up it looks and smells good enough to drink, just like a good Tooheys Old Beer, holds a head too for a while. Worked out how this governor goes back together, it took a while because I did not strip all of the engine down and parts of re-assembly are a guessing game.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.577 seconds