Skip to main content

McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel

More
4 years 3 days ago #209100 by cobbadog
With this oil primer it has to be a pump and not a drip feed and there has to be a one way valve in there to stop blow back and blowing the oil up and out of the canister. Yes, there are drip feed oilers with one way ball valves but they dont pressurise the oil to force it down to the rings and gudgeon pin as you rotate the flywheels in the reverse direction.
Thanks for your input, it all helps.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 days ago #209101 by cobbadog
So today I had an easy day of play time cleaning up bits and pieces and actually bolting the engine oil pump back into position, fitting the rebuilt oil pick up with it's new strainer and connected the oil pressure indicator and the oil lines for the bearings. Then I saw the split in the nut. So I have it off the engine and will dig out some new copper pipe and look at making a new line with later model fittings on the end.

Attachments:

More
4 years 3 days ago #209118 by hayseed
I'd be too lazy to bend & Flare a new Copper Pipe...
I'd just use some Nylon Fuel/Air line. No one will ever see It..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
4 years 3 days ago #209136 by cobbadog
Sorry hayseed, it's mot in my blood to cock it up with oil pressure line. It is an easy fix to do and cheap as well. Found some 5/16" (8mm) copper line in the shed and will dig through the spare parts tomorrow some time.

More
4 years 2 days ago #209154 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel
I've probably got one of those fittings - but by the time it gets to NSW you'd be climbing the walls. Maybe you'd have time to pop round to see hayseed, he's got to be closer than me, and then you could have a look at my "comedy capers" attempt at firing up my engine . . . :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 2 days ago #209183 by cobbadog
Thanks PDU but there is yet another member on this Forum a lot closer again and I will be paying him a visit sometime this week during the rounds of work.

Today was time to mount the engine onto the transporter before it got too heavy.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
4 years 2 days ago - 4 years 2 days ago #209185 by cobbadog
Then I have been waiting to get this part of the engine, the head. Before I even start cleaning the head up, I noticed that the cooling tubes for the head were not as they should be. Some were sitting just as they should and others nearly flush and not good enough to seal using the "O" rings. So went into the shed and dragged out some copper tube and made the decision to remove all the old ones and fit all new ones with a bit of Stag Jointing Paste, love this stuff. So I cleaned up the old copper pipe and collapsed the original brass tubes, cleaned the holes and knocked the new tubes into place. Then I went looking for the taps and dies to clean up the threads for the head. It is 3/4" UNC and that's exactly what was the largest size in that box. I ran the taps through the nuts and they cleaned up nicely but I did not have a die nut only the round die so an improvisation was called for. So instead of a die nut you have a nut using a die. I started the die by hand then placed the 2 screw drivers into the holes and used my big long screw driver to turn the others around while holding the handles tightly together. It was quite easy as it only had to remove rust not cut a new thread. Now the nuts wind on all the way by hand, yippee.
I don't know why, but I feel as if it is really moving along right now.

Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 2 days ago by cobbadog.

More
4 years 2 days ago #209190 by PDU
Phew, lucky I got mine running better today (see today's post, IF you can???)

The way you've been bustling along it was beginning to look as though you were going to beat me to it!?

Hang in there cobbadog . . . ;)

More
4 years 2 days ago #209221 by cobbadog
Yes , I did see the video opf your sucessful spark to life, well done. I feel like I am getting somewhere now with the block on the transporter before it got too heavy and then the simple thing of an oil pump in place, those cooling tubes doen and now with the great news of an oil primer finding its way down here in the near future gives even more hope, not that I didn't think I would get this far but done it fairly quickly.
In the imortal words of Big Kev - "I'm Excited".

More
4 years 2 days ago #209223 by PDU
Mutual support maybe? Not forgetting the great unwashed masses lingering on beside us too??? :)

Time to create page: 0.598 seconds