Skip to main content

McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel

More
3 years 11 months ago #209555 by cobbadog
Here is a close up of the governor as fitted inside the engine, sorry but the weight is full on towards the camera and there are 2 of them in situ. Then there is the main linkage that come from the cam to operate the valves. This is still in need of a clean up and there is a small T shape thing that is the decompression lock. The hole in the block is where the push rod comes from the cam to the valves. On this model there was never a seal in this place and I will see how it goes without one. If required I will make a clamp to hold some gland packing and bolt it to the engine. Sometimes oil leaks are good for weed control at Rallies and no thanks required for killing the weeds.
I will post a pic of the injector tomorrow when I make time for play. Hopefully by then the thinners may have had some effect. Another option was to use an ultrasonic cleaner to remove the crap. It so happens I have a rather large one of them in the shed I use for cleaning blinds that has a heap of zap in it. My problem is what will it leave behind in the tank that could bugger the blinds I clean for a living.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #209559 by Zuffen
Could you put the injector in a plastic container to restrict the crap and put the container in the Ultrasonic cleaner?
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 11 months ago #209571 by asw120
I prefer glass, as a really strong cleaner will put holes in weak things (putting holes in tinfoil is how you test if it's working), but yes, that's absolutely viable.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
3 years 11 months ago #209579 by cobbadog
Never thought of using another container so if I get the chance I will try that out.
Yes the old alfoil test. I do this every now and then to see how it is performing and in 10 seconds it perferates the alfoil worse than swiss cheese. It ends up with more holes than alfoil.
Putting it in another container I can also increase the amount of detergent in the jar.
The machine came with a strong warning when I first bought it. Do not put your bare hands in the tank when running.
I wonder why, so being a bloke I tried it. Shit it bites worse than a magneto or a new hign intensity coil on a late model car. I tell you that you only do it once and wear rubber gloves after that. Even if you can tollerate the shock the sound waves kills off your skin, which aparently is a bad thing.

More
3 years 11 months ago #209604 by Mrsmackpaul

JOHN.K. wrote: The fuel pump shops use some Turco stuff called "Carbosolve",which is pretty effective.....

Turco, now thats a brand I havent seen in at a guess at least 30 years

Used it on lifts many years ago for cleaning carbon out of gennies etc

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
3 years 11 months ago #209616 by cobbadog
No play time today, bloody work always interferes with fun.

Wasn't Turco a White Spirit?

More
3 years 11 months ago #209620 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic McDonald Imperial Super-Diesel
Turco has never gone away. It has always been the chemical of choice for the aviation industry particularly. They have hundreds of products from paint strippers , solvents and metal preparation to cleaners and detergents. They have the best paint stripper available - looks like yellow custard and rips off even aged two-pack from aircraft without damaging the alloy skin.

Bonderite/Loctite are the current names of Henkel Adhesives and while the huge Turco range is still on the books the corresponding part number may now come branded as Bonderite.

Lang

More
3 years 11 months ago #209639 by JOHN.K.
I used to get some Turco stuff at the sandblasters that would dissolve the hard set zinc from out of sprayguns overnight.....The boss there imagined I was spending hours digging and drilling the stuff out (he liked employees doing anything with maximum dificulty),when I d spent $250 on a drum of Turco stuff ,which I kept well hidden......Had to be hidden from the retards there ,as the stuff was very corrosive on bare flesh ,skin and eyes.....But as mentioned ,left the ally guns shiny bright,like new...And they used expensive Graco guns.

More
3 years 11 months ago #209699 by raafy
Turco was used by everyone, on everything when I was in the RAAF

MOVED FROM CAIRNS TO VICTORIA & STILL TRYING TO WORK OUT WHY

More
3 years 11 months ago #209705 by JOHN.K.
When I quit the sandblasters ,I was showing a dumb kid how to be a maintenance fitter,when the dummy told Col about the Turco ...Col charged into the workshop claiming I was dissolving the sprayguns ,because "old tommy" had dissolved some in hydrochloric acid once.............he grabbed the guns out of the Turco ,and stuck a airgun into them ,hit the air ,and sprayed Turco into his eyes and face.....Talk about a circus.

Time to create page: 0.518 seconds