Skip to main content

Triang Trains

More
2 years 3 months ago #229117 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Triang Trains
HO and OO use the same track but built to different scales. HO is 1:87 and OO 1:76. It originally started as the English locomotives were too small to fit the mechanisms in like the could with the larger US prototype so the used a slightly larger scale. That was back in the 1950's and they haven't changed the scale since then.

To add to the confusion I have a narrow gauge layout that uses the same track. It's called On30 and is roughly 1:48 scale and the track works out at approximately 2ft 6in or the same as Puffing Billy in Victoria.

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #229129 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Triang Trains
Was reading a book on the PECO system and parts for trains. Now the original Triang track although does match the width and can be connected together the old Triang has a higher profile track rail compared to the new PECO system. Now that creates a problem and is like trying to jump the gutters on skate board wheels. To combat this they make a short length of track that will allow both styles of track to work together as it is raked at an angle.
I should not have read this book as there are too many toys in it.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
2 years 3 months ago #229131 by Zuffen
Replied by Zuffen on topic Triang Trains
I once purchased a large HO layout with all Fleishman rolling stock for next to nothing from a work Colleague for my Step-Son.

It would be worth a few dollars now as that was back in the very early 80's.

It all went with a divorce. The best thing to happen to me!

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #229134 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic Triang Trains

To add to the confusion I have a narrow gauge layout that uses the same track. It's called On30 and is roughly 1:48 scale and the track works out at approximately 2ft 6in or the same as Puffing Billy in Victoria.

And if you like On30 do a google search on Vulcan Vale Railway, quite an internationally famous layout that the HCVC got an invite to be one of the last groups to see it running. The track used was off the shelf HO/OO scale but all the engines(10), rolling stock, Buildings and scenery were made from scratch.

And for Dave_64, some of the remaining pieces of this layout is in the Bookshop window in your Main St just down from the pub towards the post office.

Terry
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Gryphon.

More
2 years 3 months ago #229138 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Triang Trains
Terry,
Yeah, often stop and have a look at it, still draws a fair amount of imterest with visitors to town
Dave

More
2 years 3 months ago #229172 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Triang Trains

And if you like On30 do a google search on Vulcan Vale Railway, quite an internationally famous layout that the HCVC got an invite to be one of the last groups to see it running. The track used was off the shelf HO/OO scale but all the engines(10), rolling stock, Buildings and scenery were made from scratch.

And for Dave_64, some of the remaining pieces of this layout is in the Bookshop window in your Main St just down from the pub towards the post office.

Terry

I was with the HCVC on that trip and recognised it in that bookshop window years later. There was also a 302 powered white XB Coupe in the carport they wanted $10,000 for. It was rust free and low mileage. If only I had the money and storage space at the time!

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
2 years 3 months ago #229192 by grandad
Replied by grandad on topic Triang Trains
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 2 months ago #229918 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Triang Trains

Swishy, the main section of our very old house was moved here from a farm using a bullock train in the mid to late 60's. There would no way the nails could rust in this hardwood frame as nothing can penetrate it. I tried pre drilling, razor sharp chisel to make alterations and came out 2nd best. It has taught me to be very tolerant to things NOT being square and plumb.
Wee-Allis what a beautiful display of engines and carriages. When you mentioned a gantry crane it reminded me of the gantry crane we saw at Coonabarbran station along with a water tower and water pump all of we found exact models of in the hobby shop at Newcastle but they would not fit anywhere on this layout so they still live in the shop. That old style passenger carriages are the type I am looking for to put behind the Jinty.
So today I started painting some new bits and pieces for the layout. I also want to build a shed for the tractor and wanted some corrugated iron for the roof and maybe two walls. I found some online but in the USA with a very rude price to buy and post. So Dee reminded me that she was messing around one time and simply peeled back some paper on some card board so this is what I found. It is a little bit big but they did make a commercial size corrugated iron twice the size of the standard 2" stuff so this might work.
Cobba, how did you go with the corrugatediron (that's the biggest word I know :P )?
I realise this bloke is far more anal and prototypical than you want to be, but the first part of his video shows how to make corro from Alfoil. Just don't let Dee catch you pinching her hardware.

More
2 years 2 months ago #229931 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Triang Trains
Although the cardboard was the right shape and even with a little bit of an imagination the shape and colour was right but the scale was too large. So I bought some online that is to scale but have not made the shed as yet as Christmas was the top priority. Been playing with those magnetos as well during that time.
As far as the layout is concerned I had a dead siding and it took many nights of interrupted sleep to work out the answer and that is now resolved. Next problem was the other switch out as the carriages tended to bump going over it. Initially I thought the switch was too shallow (there are 2 depths of track, height of the rail itself) but this was not the case and it is still a work in progress. I have put up some fencing and I need more in good time and that will come when the 3 new period correct carriages arrive on that slowest boat from China via the solar system and beyond. As soon as I make the shed I will put more pics up of this small project.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: V8Ian

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #229935 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Triang Trains
Here U go Cobbr
Try this on fir size

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Swishy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.673 seconds