Skip to main content

Stuck Tractors and Queensland Floods

More
2 years 2 months ago #232506 by V8Ian
I'd offer you a hand Lang, but I don't think I could get there.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 months ago #232507 by Lang
Thanks mate but all under control.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: V8Ian

More
2 years 2 months ago #232515 by paulc20

The Petter / Brush noisemaker combo is doing a sterling job. (lucky the neighbours are over 50 metres away on both sides!)
Let's hope that's the end of it.

Jarrod.
Hi Jarrod, what is your Petter/Brush combo, I have one I am working on with a PJ4 engine.
Paul

More
2 years 2 months ago #232517 by jeffo
Maryborough was a “good” flood town, lived there 10 years.
It had 2 to 3-days warning of anticipated heights as the flood came down from Gympie. Council workers knew their jobs, things got lifted, bridge railings off and so on. We’d take moored boats downstream to river heads and drive home before roads were cut.
The force of water is hard to imagine. Steel plates in Walkers lay down paddock would wash away into the river, made the boat’s anodes work overtime!
We then shifted to 80 acres at Gympie, still had floods each year but farmers are pretty self sufficient, repair fences etc and carry on.
Sold the farm after 20 years and have been in town almost 2-years now, first big flood.
City dwellers aren’t quite so placid. Woolies was stripped bare, you’d think the world was ending. Biggest worry was flat smart phone batteries but no signal anyway!
We kept our neighbours charged up from our camper’s inverter/solar setup. 12v freezer did ours and neighbours meat.
No power for nearly a week, no Internet instantly the power went, no SMS or phones.
These days everything is electronic. Flood warnings, fires, cyclones you name it, all warnings and info comes to your phone.
Water supply died, no back up power.
Sewerage pump station the same.
You’d think they’d have UPS or backup power on that stuff, hey.
Could learn a lot from the local farmers.
Sorry to see Brisbane and surrounds going under again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, PaulFH, asw120, Southbound

More
2 years 2 months ago #232518 by Lang
Our nearest reporting station Redcliffe recorded 967mm or 38 inches in the last 7 days.

Melbourne drizzle city gets 660mm or 26 inches a year.

Brisbane still under and Northern Rivers even worse as it rolls south toward Sydney.

Good luck troops.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH, asw120, oliver1950

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #232520 by asw120

The Petter / Brush noisemaker combo is doing a sterling job. (lucky the neighbours are over 50 metres away on both sides!)
Let's hope that's the end of it.

Jarrod.
Hi Jarrod, what is your Petter/Brush combo, I have one I am working on with a PJ4 engine.
Paul

Hi Paul, that's way bigger than what I have. The Brush part is all that remains of a Startomatic found at the roadside in Lae, PNG mid 80's by the workmate I bought it from (presumed stolen to get the Lister twin and then dumped). He bought a brand new Petter AD1 (frugal, but sounds like a machine gun) and cobbled it together with belt drive. I have recently bought a Lister twin to drive it a lot more quietly.
I do have the circuit for the Brush gen head which might still be of use to you. It's compound wound with integral exciter (has both commutator and slip rings) I think I also have the circuit for the newer model.

Any assistance you need, I may be able to help, just start another thread and post away; I love a challenge!

Cheers, Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by asw120.

More
2 years 2 months ago #232529 by cobbadog
We got home late morning and at 11.30am I emptied a full rain gauge. By 3.30pm it had 90mm in it. Still getting showers now but nothing like a lot further north.
The lawn is now being eyed off by the cattle down the hill and there is no way of mowing it unless it is a Flymow mower.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 2 months ago #232532 by Tacho
Hi cobbadog, I came down the Pacific Highway a week ago after picking up a 1929 Dodge Roadster from Boambee and saw the sign to Coopernook, so naturally thought of you. We are following the news of floods in Qld and NE NSW, so all up there keep safe and hope you are not impacted too much. For me, with an annual average rainfall of 500mm, the sort of rain you get in these rain systems is hard to comprehend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

More
2 years 2 months ago #232537 by wee-allis
Cobba, just happen to have a FLYMOW. It was ok when we lived in Sydney with a 20 sq metre lawn, but the lead is too short for the current 6 acres. Now free to a good home.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
2 years 2 months ago #232538 by oliver1950
195 mm in the last 24 hours ,120 mm from 4 pm till 10 pm.I have to check all my creek crossings,the water was higher than last years flood level in the creek,there is minor flooding at the river so I think the river flat would be under.Luckily the rain didn't extend inland very far so no huge volume of water coming from upstream

You can't have too many toys!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.476 seconds