Skip to main content

Fill's Bedford

More
6 years 8 months ago #186107 by Fill
Replied by Fill on topic Fill's Bedford
Hi all
It is nice not working on the brakes. Today I put the doors on and made a temporary frame to match the boards behind the cabin, because I do not have room to spin the tray around. I finished the mirror brackets, ready for welding. Thanks for looking.
Cheers Fill
[img
100_3017 by fill quinn , on Flickr
[img
100_3016 by fill quinn , on Flickr
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, Mairjimmy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #186123 by IHScout
Replied by IHScout on topic Fill's Bedford
Looks like a ver neat job Fill

Dennis

More
6 years 7 months ago #186534 by Fill
Hi all
Thanks IHScout. I have a bit of a question. I know how to pack bearings with grease. I have drawn a picture of a brake drum-front and back are basically the same.
I am not a motor mechanic, only a chippy. Questions: Can you put too much grease in void 1 ? and in void 2 is that too little? Do you worry about putting in grease in the void at all? Do you fill up the dust cap with grease and push grease into the bearing space before putting the cap on?
I would like a bit of advice on this one.
Thanks in advance.
Cheer Fill.
[img
100_3020 by fill quinn , on Flickr

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 7 months ago #186538 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Fill's Bedford
Fill
Gudday m8
All lookn good

make sure the bearings are packed between the rollers .... using the palm near your thumb to push the grease right thru to the other side
when the bearings get warm to hot the grease can run and if U got grease in the void @ the same level the grease can recirculate thru the bearings

Toooo much grease can blo the seals

with the hub cap we only smeer sum grease on the inside to prevent rust cos U can get a little condensation in th@ area

others may correct me if rong
cya

§

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
6 years 7 months ago #186539 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Fill's Bedford
What Swishy says.

More
6 years 7 months ago #186543 by Fill
Hi all
Thanks Wee-allis and Swishy Your answers are a bit confusing. Do I put grease only in the bearings and none in the void ? To my way of thinking no grease in the void when the grease warmed up as Swishy said. To my way of thinking the grease would run out of the bearings and into the void and have no grease in the bearings or have I got it all wrong. On another note the back bearings ,oil from the diff splashes and some of that oil goes down the axle and mixes with the bearings. When I took the drums off originally, it was a sloppy mess , is that right. Thanks again
Cheers Fill

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #186544 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Fill's Bedford
Fill
M80
Put the bearing packed with grease in the hub ( the back one closest to chassis )
put seal in hub
carefully lift hub onto axle with out put n weight on the seal until it mates up with where seal will run
push hub on tight n hold
fill void with grease push grease in by hand ...it only has to melt down to height of bearings
place outer packed bearing in hub
do up just B 4 F tight give it a spin do up to F tight spin then back off a tad or 1/4 turn till it feels nice with no binding
place hub cap on
n after U dun a few k's feel the hub where bearings lay n they all should feel the same amount of warm
jack up each wheel n turn n shake n see if u can feel any movement sideways

Yes a late edition to truckin twaz to run the diff oil out along axle tube to to lube the wheel bearings
normally the diff oil level is correct height to lube hub bearings (no need for grease)

cya

§

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Swishy.

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #186549 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Fill's Bedford
Fill watch this video this bloke will show you how to pack bearings

Take note of how he forces the grease in
Also as Swish and Wee Allis I reckon is a good place to start
Dont just run grease around the bearing gotta force it in as Rich shows ya or at least thats what this rough farmer does

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Mrsmackpaul.

More
6 years 7 months ago #186569 by Fill
Hi all
Thanks. I know how to pack grease into bearings. The video that Mrsmackpaul put up seems to contradict what Swishy said, on the front axle the man puts no grease in the void at all. In the back he puts no grease in the void but he pus oil in. So I am still confused, ( remember I am just a chippy ) I might be over thinking it but if I fill the void with grease can the centrifugal force push the grease past the oil seal mainly on the front because it has no where to go. On the back I can see that filling the back void with grease would be OK because the centrifugal force would force the grease into the axle and not thru the oil seal.
Thanks again for responding.
Cheers Fill

More
6 years 7 months ago #186572 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Fill's Bedford
I have always part - filled the void. No particular amount, nowhere near full, less than half, just a good lashing of it. I've never lost a bearing is my only testament. Manuals say to redo them every two years / 20,000 miles or somesuch. I'm too lazy for that.
I usually do them up until they start to feel a bit stiff and back off to next split pin hole. Re check after a short drive.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

Time to create page: 0.565 seconds