Skip to main content

Fill's Bedford

More
6 years 4 weeks ago #192357 by Fill
Replied by Fill on topic Fill's Bedford
Morning 4.30 am Easter Saturday. Too used to getting up early. I have or ready got a tow bar on the KIA. But I was wondering how much it would be.
You can get a kit for just over $800,00,with postage. On line. Cost of mind,8 mm end plates laser cut $ 200.00, 12 mm HT bolts $ 12.00, blasting $40.00,steel cleats,$8.00,welding rods say $10.00, primer and paint,( spray paint in a can ) $ 40.00,template,off cut, trailer plug, tow ball, and tow bar,free, came off a wreck. Time to make and fit, free.( Because it is a resto LOL) . Total cost? Yes it is too early. I think, I am in front.
If I get it crossed off by a engineer. That would blow the budget. For those that are up early. Cheers Fill

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 weeks ago #192358 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Fill's Bedford
Fill I know SFA about spray painting, my mate that did the Mack is the best spray painter I know and has been doing it for many many years

Anyway he tells me you can and a lot of people do sand things to fine and then the paint has trouble sticking, I reckon there's a lot of merit in what you are saying about the and blasting sticking better

I remember the first time I ever saw sand blasted parts like you had a few photos back , I couldn't believe it was still bare metal as it looked like it was in primer

You can tell I'm no spray painter :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
6 years 4 weeks ago #192367 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Fill's Bedford
All sandblasting produces a "profile",which is raised bits where the grit hits the metal.........if your paint system has a thickness less than the profile,the peaks will show thru,and "Your system will fail"...IE rust...Profile is produced according to the grain of grit used..This is critical in industrial sandblasting,where coating life has to be guaranteed.....Incidentally,sandblasted surfaces on steel will often last for ages before rusting,even in the weather......unless the sand used was beachsand containing salt......this happened many years ago on one of the sugar loaders...all the new paint fell off ,and the whole job had to be done over.....it was done over with beachsand,and failed again.....

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #192541 by Fill
Thanks JOHN.K and Mrsmackpaul.With the sanding, yes you are right it can be to fine, most of the time you start off course and get less course as you get the coats on, But as you said, the surface can not be sanded to fine or the paint will not stick. John the sand blasting that you got done must have been sole destroying . They are not aloud to use white sand any more, I have been told because of health problems. I have made up a set of steps, to get up on the tray but might have to put a hand rail on, to get down ( beer is a funny thing ) Hope you enjoy the photos. Cheers Fill
[img
100_3245 by fill quinn , on Flickr
[img
100_3244 by fill quinn , on Flickr
[img
100_3246 by fill quinn , on Flickr
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #192547 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Fill's Bedford
Lookn good Fill

may B turn the step frame 90 degrees and insert n it back into tow receptacle for easy stowing of sed steps

cya

ยง

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #192549 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Fill's Bedford
I think to use Swishy's idea, you would have to add a square tube at right angles to the existing one.
Another idea- If you weld the square tube on as above, you could modify the steps and use it with the steps across the end of the tray, instead of sticking out the back, if you get my drift. After beer o'clock, you could hold the end of the tray instead of needing a handrail to get you down.
If this is not clear, PM me and I will give you my phone number, or maybe I have already given it to you?

If Mrs Fill is likely to get up on the tray for chardonnay o'clock or anything else, you will still need the handrail.

Morris.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
6 years 3 weeks ago - 6 years 3 weeks ago #192570 by PDU
Replied by PDU on topic Fill's Bedford
Likadis Swish & Mo . . . :unsure:
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by PDU.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #192583 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Fill's Bedford
Yair, prezacly.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 3 weeks ago #192584 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Fill's Bedford
Morrie seems 2 kno what side hiz bread iz butterd on

Fill twaz probly thinkn of a simple job
now complicated by us arm chair critix
Fill will kno zaclee wot to do ............... tiz hiz Lorry
cya
ยง

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #192596 by Fill
Hi Morris. I think what Swishy was talking about was storing the steps, at this stage I am not too worried about that. Most of the time the steps will be in place in the man cave. ( no .05 limit ) Hi PDU great computer work again. I am pretty sure that is what Morris was saying. The problem it would be like walking the plank. Or remembering which way is down. Swishy it is nice to here from you, you have not made comment for awhile. Turning the steps 90 degrees is about the same off the ground as the fixed position. And it sticks out too far. All comments are welcome thanks. Cheers Fill

Time to create page: 0.516 seconds