Skip to main content

Austin K2 Restoration...Pictures Needed

More
7 years 3 months ago #177835 by Claire
I should really have changed the title to this thread, as we only started it to try and trace the only part that was missing, the left headlight glass, but we later found a complete set on eBay, along with two other sets of headlights that were close, but not exact (you can never have too many spare parts ;) ).

At that time, we obviously didn't realise how much work and effort was going to go in to FIXING the parts that were still on the truck though :blush: :S :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #177836 by wouldyou
Claire,
The farm machinery firm Horwood Bagshaw' s motto was "If worth doing do it well"
You are certainly going to have a vehicle to be proud of.
David.

More
7 years 3 months ago #177838 by Claire
Thanks Dave :)

More
7 years 3 months ago #177839 by PaulFH
Results looking great - sure your dedication will be well rewarded.
Don't think I could face up to cleaning up those spring packs.
S'pose it's just start at the start and keep going.
Keep up the great work - Paul.

More
7 years 3 months ago #177854 by Lang
For the life of me I can't see why anyone would spend so much time and money on an old Austin except for love.

A damn fine effort and commitment that puts most of us to shame. You are a credit to the old truck movement.

Lang

More
7 years 3 months ago #177863 by PDU
Hey, come on now, when I messaged you about some photos I didn't expect this sort of response :ohmy:
Checked out your address and discovered you are very close to one of my daughters (Onkaparinga Hills) so next time I'm down that way I will have to call in on you. Now After seeing what you've been doing (fastidious) I feel really guilty the way mine is getting short changed all the way!? :unsure:
Meanwhile: We need to talk about that other unit from John Martins . . .

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #179454 by Claire
February update:
Finally managed to get the springs rebuilt and axles re-hung this weekend.
Had had a few minor issues trying to get the hanger bolts to fit through the leaf spring brass bush, to the extent that I had to use the bench press and ended up with a nice wee pile of brass swarf underneath the press when I finished each one.
I just assuming that that new Rodeo greasable hanger bolts were 0.5mm thicker than my original bolts and that the new bushes were also 0.5mm thicker.
Anyway, its unlikely to ever do more than 500km a year and it will carry no heavy loads, so it should bed in well and do a trip.
Collecting engine tomorrow, but not quite sure about the "British racing green" that the engineer chose without consultation......any suggestions on a better colour?

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Claire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, Southbound

More
7 years 2 months ago #179456 by hayseed

Claire wrote: February update:

Had had a few minor issues trying to get the hanger bolts to fit through the leaf spring brass bush, to the extent that I had to use the bench press and ended up with a nice wee pile of brass swarf underneath the press when I finished each one.

Claire (Bob) I think that once the Bushs were pressed into the Spring Eyes you should run a reamer through them as they get distorted from being pressed in..

You're doing a Bloody nice high Quality Resto. job there too I might add....

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
7 years 2 months ago #179457 by Pierre
Hi Claire, looking pretty good & your making great progress.
Fill on this forum once said Black is best as it hides all those pommy oil leaks better!
Claire, did you refurbish the springs yourself or send them out for cleaning & resetting?
& did you re-use the existing Axle U-bolts or fit new?
What's that timber I spy under the chassis? Is that for your new tray?
cheers
Pierre
PS: I Think that green is a little light for British Racing Green! BISTBC

Pierre

More
7 years 2 months ago #179459 by overnite
The green on the engine should have a touch of yellow tinter added to match the original hue.

Time to create page: 0.536 seconds