Skip to main content

Austin K2 Restoration...Pictures Needed

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #179464 by Claire
Hi Pierre,
I initially removed and split the front leafs and rear helper springs sets and set about cleaning them up.
I tried several methods including acid, another rust removal chemical that I picked up at Lonsdale Paints, my blasting cabinet and finally a wire brush on drill.
The chemicals seemed to do something initially, but you needed to at least clean and prime within 24hrs after removing from chemicals, but with the winter weather and my outdoor gazebo paint shed getting blown away almost every day, I found that demoralising.
My blasting unit although big is also slow, as I use an extension hose and I reckon that having a few extra joints and a long run outside, it collects moisture and doesn't blast the sand well.
In the end I just stuck a blue disk on the grinder and buffed them all off, before spraying on a hot day.
In the end, I decided that the rear leafs looked ok form the outside and too bloody complicated and time consuming to try and split again, so I wire brushed them on the outside and dipped the complete set in a chemical bath overnight, before power washing, air blasting and then priming.
I rebuilt the front leafs using 2 heavy 'G' clamps and new centre bolts acquired from local parts store. Had to grind down the head by 1mm though to get them to fit in axle locator.
The axle U bolts went through much the same treatment and came up well, so they were reused.
I have already obtained many replacement smaller bolts and screws for later in the rebuild, mainly due to having damaged a lot of the smaller ones during removal.
Found two sources at Mile End and Beverley for Metric equivalents and original BSF sizes.
I planning to pick the engine up tomorrow and will pop by the paint shop and ask them to mix me a new paint.
Watch this space for colour change :-)
Cheers,
Bob
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Claire. Reason: typing error

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #179466 by Claire
On another note, we're planning ahead for items to stick on the back of the truck for display purposes and looking for age related items.
I've found a source for local puncheons, but would also like to find a decent Furphy, as they were common around 1948.
I don't want to pay Gumtree tourist prices though, so any sources for barn finds would be appreciated :-)
Thanks in advance
Bob (& Claire)

More
7 years 2 months ago #179480 by Pierre
Thanks for all the details Bob & (Claire), this all helps.
Look forward to next installment.
cheers
Pierre

Pierre

More
6 years 9 months ago #185155 by Claire
Hi folks, its been a long time since our last update on progress, mainly due to having spent the last 4 months preparing for a new shed to be built. Had to demolish and old lean to and then excavate nearly 60 ton of bed rock using 'just my wee 1.5t digger. Then install 100 concrete beams and 75m of storm water, with the help of Claire and her mum :-). All in the space of 3 weeks because the shed company came 2 weeks early, due to another cancelled job! Had no option to but work hard and get it ready though, as the weather was set to turn and I didnt want a swimming pool instead of a shed :-('. The sheds now up and I've had time to return to the K2 this week, so engines finally in. Next job is to outfit the engine.

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #185156 by Claire
A before pic

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by IHScout. Reason: Click insert to make the picture appear in the post

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #185157 by Claire
During

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by IHScout. Reason: Click on insert to have the picture appear in your post

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #185158 by Claire
After

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by IHScout.

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #185159 by Claire
Another two projects in the wings :-)

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by IHScout.

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #185161 by Claire
Ant the engine fit -

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by IHScout. Reason: Click on insert to have the picture appear in your post

More
6 years 9 months ago #185163 by asw120
Great update! A new shed's always good. In a year though, you'll be wondering where all that space went :)

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

Time to create page: 0.575 seconds