Skip to main content

Leyland o600 engine

More
7 years 1 day ago #182146 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Leyland o600 engine
Back in the day when the turbo 680 was first released, it was called the 690.
Very confusing as AEC had a 690.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 day ago #182155 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Leyland o600 engine
A while ago a friends son dumped a whole Leyland bus into a scrap bin.Was going to be a mobile workshop.Anyhow,it landed upside down,so I was able to salvage the 6" starter.I should have salvaged the enamel badge too.Was either a Leopard or Panther,from memory.Ex BCC.Underfloor,either a 600 or 680.

More
7 years 22 hours ago - 6 years 11 months ago #182164 by mr.hall
Replied by mr.hall on topic Leyland o600 engine
Whats are peoples views on putting a 680 in? too much power for the gearbox? (which I will be rebulding) or good to have a bit more grunt there just for when it's needed?

heres some pics too!

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by IHScout. Reason: Need to click insert after selecting pic for them to appear properly in your post.

More
7 years 22 hours ago - 6 years 11 months ago #182165 by mr.hall
and some more

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by IHScout.

More
7 years 12 hours ago #182174 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Leyland o600 engine
Many moons ago, (late '80s), I was running the workshop at a bus depot and we had a fleet of Leyland, AEC, Albions and Bedfords, as most country bus runs do. The fleets was being gradually updated to Leyland Tigers with the TL11 engines and hydo-cyclic boxes.

One afternoon I had a radio call from a driver on one of our distant routes to say the bus was down on power. Now this particular bus, an under floor Leopard with a 680 engine, ran from the bush into town with workers and school kids each day, but only came to the depot for fuel once a week.

When I got there and started the engine, there was an almighty knocking noise. Towed back to the shop and a strip down revealed that a piston had burnt and clattered to the point where nothing was left and the gudgeon pin had worn through the liner and the block. The driver assured me that the kids were so noisy, he hadn't heard a thing wrong.

Now to the point. The block was obviously a throw away, or so logic dictated. However, after speaking with an engine re-conditioner at Nambucca Heads, he assured me it could be repaired. He bored the block way oversize and fitted a heavy walled liner which he then bored back to standard and fitted an original liner. Total cost at the time was in the vicinity of $500. That bus ran for years after that, without a problem. The driver, not so much.

Just shows that nothing is really broken. You just need to talk with the right people. That's what these forums are all about.
Steve.

More
7 years 2 hours ago #182184 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Leyland o600 engine
I was wondering whether that hole in the block could be drilled, tapped and plugged? (or even cast iron welded)

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
7 years 2 hours ago #182186 by hayseed
Replied by hayseed on topic Leyland o600 engine
You could always go the Hillbilly/Bush mechanic Route.....LOL

www.jbweld.com/collections/automotive/pr...highheat-epoxy-putty

You hear & read all sorts of weird & wonderful stories about this Stuff.

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
7 years 1 hour ago #182190 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Leyland o600 engine
Mack 711 motors were notorious for this kind of problem,due to the very thin bore walls.All kinds of bodges kept them on the road for a few months,but a thinwall liner cant resist coolant for long.600 Leylands had thick castings,and if the whole thickness of the iron is gone,the block will have no strength anywhere.Not just one hole,but the whole block wasted away.

More
6 years 11 months ago #182203 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Leyland o600 engine
Your original 600 engine is 125hp so an older 680 at 150 hp would be fine. The later 680 at 200hp would stretch the transmission too far.

More
6 years 11 months ago #182208 by mr.hall
Think I'll get another engine, like you say its that bad in one spot that I have no confidence in the whole engine now and would always be worrying about it pouring coolant into the oil. I only have 2 liners out at the moment and who knows whats behind the others! I might have found someone with an engine from a leapard (horizontal 680) so I'll see what it's like. :cheer:

Time to create page: 0.442 seconds