Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
4 years 1 week ago #209636 by Bluey60
I’m with Mrs Mack I’d be a bit concerned with the axle behind the centre bolt in the spring pack it will be inclined to create a twisting action rather flexing imho could break springs across centre bolt holes
Cheers Bluey

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #209640 by JOHN.K.
i reckon you could redrill the centre hole in the main and wrapper leaves ,and maybe trim a couple of the next leaves to b the same.....You can redrill centre holes with some kinds of masonry drills ......I used to do this with Louisvilles so I could use ex army acco leaves ,rather than spend $200 on spring leaves from Carrols......provided the original hole is well supported ,the spring wont break thru the hole.......i suggest this ,as I cant see even a visually impared roadworthy inspector passing the 3 ubolt effort....These guys will overlook a lot ,but not something so obvious to get them into the s***t
Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by JOHN.K..

More
4 years 1 week ago #209645 by swiftden
PDU

It wouldnt be too bad a big round trip that is for sure.
wonder if being a 52 engine and gear box if the gear box would be a syncro box? mine in my truck is as my engine is from a later year than my truck. . Could be useful for someone if it is.

More
4 years 1 week ago #209648 by JOHN.K.
The crash box has the same gears as a Chev blitz.....The 4 sp synchro is near identical to the Saginaw 4sp ,and also the Toyota truck 4 sp ,which can interchange parts with the Saginaw box.

More
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #209650 by PDU
Bugga, take a slight breather and everything goes crazy on here . . .
Pierre: Not very far, it is purely filling a temporary role - if it survives great, if it doesn't what the hey! Too early to comment on bodywork yet, but thanks anyway. ;)
Bluey60: The axle is in front of the centre pin, and what I have done has not been without a lot of consideration. The drawing which I have added below is basically what I have, you will notice the NB indicates the small gap because of the spring curvature, and my intention is to add a caster adjustment wedge in there. At that point the third u-bolt could be used without distorting the spring. :unsure:

Hope that makes things clearer, I got a buzz out of creating the diagram for you . . .
John.K.: As you may have read previously I have considered drilling the spring to suit the new axle location - this is a strong possibility later IF everything else works out nicely and I decide to use it regularly, or for longer trips.
swiftden: Yes the later boxes were all-synchro, not that first gear would be used much without a load from what I have gathered??? :lol:
Also, ANYBODY that wants anything from the O type chassis needs to speak up quickly, before I dispose of it :oops:
John.K. 2nd comment: Does a Toyota box have the same mounting bolt pattern? Also, does that include the splines into the clutch plate, or does the clutch plate require changing, and would a Toyota 5 speed also be a possible interchange? Wishful thinking no doubt?! ;)
Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by PDU.

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 years 1 week ago #209655 by Swishy
Well
LookyHere
BigDownUnder
iz an artist
gr8 pic

a pixture iz worth a million words ( give or take a duzen )

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #209659 by Lang
PDU

Great drawing! My grandson does this all the time at tech drawing in school but to me you are a miracle worker.

I think you might be on to something leaving the front u-bolt high enough for movement but to keep the spring alignment. What about putting a nut on the u-bolt on top of the plate to secure it to the axle to get the best of both worlds. If a nut will not fit what about a long collar out of heavy wall tube at the right height to jam between the plate and the top bend or just weld a bit to the u-bold to have it come up tight against the plate at the appropriate height.

Lang
Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by Lang.

More
4 years 1 week ago #209660 by PDU
I'm not quite with you Lang :unsure: can you explain what you mean . . .
Even a quick sketch, take a photo of it and then attach it to your reply - like Swishy said,
"a pixture iz worth a million words"
:blink:

More
4 years 1 week ago #209669 by JOHN.K.
PDU,Im talking about the Toyota truck box,not Landcruiser ..think FA 70,FA 90?......The Toyota 5 speed from a DA115 is a very large box ,might even be bigger than the Bedford motor.,and doesnt interchange with the Toyota 4 speed.......AS to the mounts ,the petrol motors are both Chev copies (Toyota is licence built Chev),but I dont know if they will interchange ...never tried it.

More
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #209673 by PDU
Sorry John.K., I wasn't thinking sideways at the time - the dog was hassling me to go for a walk! :oops:

As a sidenote, many of you have probably noticed my habit of colour coding names, particularly those I'm replying to. It is so easy to do and highlights that person should they be checking to see if a previous comment/query they have made has been addressed. What do think about this being something we could all do? :unsure:
Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout

Time to create page: 0.661 seconds