Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #209478 by Mrsmackpaul
Well I guess I kinda agree with some of thoughts
I do know the spring will no longer work as it should, the spring is designed to bend and it will be restricted in the middle
Also I wonder if this will affect the steering and how tracks down the road as spring will be flexing different than before
Will any of this cause a problem? Dunno
I would grab my tape a check around and see what springs are out there around that length with a center bolt were you need it

Thats just me though

Keep us posted and please dont take offense as none is meant

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #209500 by PDU
In reverse order today: Mrsmackpaul, I have tried looking at various springs but with little joy, and I am wary of possible variance with caster IF it hits a sufficiently nasty bump or pot-hole, and IF it does in fact effect the spring/axle action. :unsure: I appreciate that the spring deflection would be restricted with three u-bolts and that was why I was considering dropping out one (or two) leaves. But what the hey, I can't see me driving it as a daily driver, and when I do it will not be travelling so fast that it will become an issue (hopefully :blink:).

Also, over the last few days there have been some interesting developments regarding the driver's door. I have been keeping a close watch on what is available, checking Marketplace, Gumtree, and E-Bay regularly, and at 1:00 am on Friday morning spotted a two day old listing for these:

Naturally I left a message for the driver's door, or both of them if they didn't want to split them. Even better, they were less than an hour away. However later in the day a reply said someone had already contacted them and would be calling them back. For the rest of the day I couldn't believe how unlucky I had been, or that I had missed them!? :( This morning (Saturday) I thought I would have to make another run up to Quorn, but then received a second message - that the right hand door was mine :ohmy: and fifteen minutes later I was on my way to pick it up. :)

Consequently in the afternoon I did exactly what you said mammoth, entertained myself removing the old driver's door. The only awkward part in the exercise was sliding the upper hinge out from the door pillar as one of the bolts sheared, leaving a section sticking out slightly from the hinge that prevented it from moving. I considered drilling it out but with a bit of twisting and with a screwdriver into the (almost non-existent) gap between hinge and reinforced body pillar, it came free. About an hour all told, and considering the doors have been on there for 70 years relatively straight forward. :cheer:

Sunday morning (update), listening to Macca in the shed and trial fitting of new door . . .

. . . a wee bit tight but that will be sorted. I think the electrical tape may be a bit dodgy, so will weld the rust replacement piece later. :lol:
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, oliver1950

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #209533 by cobbadog
Fantastic news with the door and it looks good on.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #209546 by JOHN.K.
On the subject of springs ...some dont have the centre bolt equal from the ends ,so maybe the springs can be reversed.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #209553 by PDU
Too easy John.K., I think laterally and sideways when looking, checked that thanks ;)

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
4 years 3 weeks ago #209554 by Swishy
RE: Fantastic news with the door

........ like a glove

LOL

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #209563 by swiftden
PDU
I saw that same Ad for the two doors only late last niight contacted them and was told that someone had bought the right hand one. Good to see it was put to good use. Was the left in good condition? What about the 1/4 window?
I was going to grab them for spares. Im only over at Kadina.
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by swiftden.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #209574 by cobbadog
Hey Swishy, I thought the old door fitted like a glove,,,,you could put your fingers in it too.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #209587 by PDU
Swiftden: Yes the door is good, but the window winder doesn't operate (on my door either :oops:). I would have bought it for the quarter window alone, however I did not try to open that, so it may be frozen in position - not a real big deal. Don't forget there is another person who they were talking to about the door(s) before I spoke to them. They are very nice people, and also have a good radiator (if you need one, $200, maybe more, maybe less but they do realise what it could be worth). They even have the motor and gearbox that has been laying on their rubbish heap for the last 30-40 years! May be good for some pieces but don't expect it to run anymore. :lol: The ad says '40s but when I checked the engine number is from a '51. Apparently the chassis from the Bedford was made into a tipping trailer and the cab thrown away - it was just lucky the doors and radiator were stacked in the back of one of their barns!! :)

Meanwhile if you are still interested I have taken the timbers off the O type chassis; roof racks would be better than a trailer (unless it is a long one) - would make a nice drive, Kadina-Blyth-Crystal Brook-Kadina, 250km :blink:

Cobbadog, funny, the old one you could put your hand right through :lol:
and the new one, although fitting like a glove Swishy, is very snug and I haven't opened it again yet for two reasons: 1. I have been dismantling what is left of the O type chassis with the intention of clearing the driveway by the weekend.
AND
2. If I open the door I might be tempted to put the screws into the hinges!? :whistle:
Last edit: 4 years 3 weeks ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #209627 by Pierre
Hi PDU, just curious as to how far your going with your engine(s).
Are you planning to pull pistons & put in new rings & bearings given the compression readings you had?

Yeah, nice work with the doors & bodywork :)
cheers
Pierre

Pierre

Time to create page: 0.540 seconds