Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
3 years 11 months ago #209750 by cobbadog
I certainly have faith in PDU's ability and intensive thought process. No doubt you will read all the responses and your feelings will waiver. I am also certain that the comments put forward are done to open your eyes and thoughts to alternatives should you require any.
My thoughts, stay away from the Kitchen and the "list of things to do today" on the fridge door and get out there and as they say, "Have a go ya mug, you can do this".
The forum will back you on your decision/s.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #209752 by Lang
Brett

Aren't they the very same questions every hot rodder must ask himself before every project. PDU said it probably will be a garage queen on completion anyway. I get the impression it is the journey more than the destination.

It is amazing how his thread has caught the imagination of the boys with nearly 9,000 views. That has to be some sort of record.

I think he has been around old cars long enough to appreciate all the bureaucratic implications. We should encourage him to play in his toy box and entertain us until he finishes either at the end or when he has reached his limit.

I have had a few problems with projects up on the forum over the years and those pointing out the negative aspects (usually obvious or already discussed) do make you lose heart. A simple auto "Thank You" at the bottom or better still a positive comment or suggestion, no matter how impractical, gives you new energy and enthusiasm.

There are many other forum members in exactly the same boat and general support for PDU - win, lose or draw - might encourage them to blow the dust off a stalled project , or even start a new one, and hopefully give us another thread to join the half dozen good ones already running.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, 180wannabe, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, PDU

More
3 years 11 months ago #209764 by PDU
Nice to know I'm an entertainment factor :lol: and I do really appreciate all your supportive comments.

I have many stalled and forgotten projects under my belt . . . but fortunately a few successful ones too. I've lost count of engine swaps I've done, which is common enough as one works their way through drag racing, hot rod, street machine and restoration phases. Right now I'm working on my fourth truck (there were two Ford F1 pickups along the way, one of which went to Alice Springs and is now in Western Australia). I chop and change as the wind changes, a chronic project buster BUT on the Bedford I was working at a decent pace, until now . . . :huh:

You may have noticed my ad for the O type chassis has been deleted, and today I had another look at it. The size difference between the O and M types is huge, and although I realise there are very few O types being restored mammoth, I'm not really surprised!

Bottom line, as they say on The Hitch hikers Guide to the Universe - DON'T PANIC!
:blink: I have not given up, merely having a quiet break for a few days. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, asw120

More
3 years 11 months ago #209783 by Zuffen
Sometimes you have to stop and have a break.

I haven't touched the MightyBoy for 2 weeks after being into it 7 days a week for a few months.

Decided I needed to clear my head (it's a major engine swap) so started digging a wine cellar which entailed installing 700Kg 5.4metre steel beams under our Dining Room floor.

I'll be back on the car next week.

PDU, take your time and get it all clear in your head and away you go.

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #209788 by Lang
Zuffen

"A major engine swap??"

I drove one of those Suzuki's once and went to check the oil. After about a 10 minute search under the bonnet I saw this watch mechanism that turned out to be the engine.

I did do an engine swap on the very first of the Suzuki 4x4's exchanging the tiny two stroke for a Datsun 1000 motor. It was surprisingly easy over one weekend with the separate transfer case. Would not meet any engineering regulation but did a wonderful job on a jungle expedition between Lae and Finschaffen in New Guinea.

Regardless of its size (apart from easy lifting) it is a big job and we expect running commentary with photos.

It does not matter what it is, we currently have big followings on several projects ranging from Atkinson and Bedfords to an old stationary engine. Bring on the VICTA lawnmower restoration!

Lang
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Lang.

More
3 years 11 months ago #209790 by PDU
Funny. Zuffen, wine cellar sounds an interesting project; does your wife/partner complain about dust and tools not put away?

Lang, I find your comments to be most refreshing and encouraging, well done and thankyou yet again.

Yesterday I was looking at the O type front springs and the centre pin is not in the axle centre line, it is offset by about 3/4" - and the distance from the swinging hanger to the centre line of the axle is within 1/2" of where it needs to be in B for. :huh: Hmmm?

Previously I had not wanted to alter the spring mountings, but IF I was to transfer the O type front spring across and construct new front mountings it could be yet another possibility. Room to ponder, and must get back onto the bodywork repairs before being accused of doing nothing. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, wee-allis

More
3 years 11 months ago #209800 by swiftden
PDU
keep up the good work mate. This thread is a great read.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PDU

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #209803 by PDU
Still taking it easy, just tidying things up. The O type chassis is now relocated - to the other side of the driveway.This was done after removing the two slave cylinders in the front wheels and clearing some of the debris inside, before it was hard work just rolling it a few feet. Note also the South American wheel arrangement at the rear. :huh:

And while I had the camera out thought I'd put a face to the PDU monicer. Sentiments on the shirt don't necessarily refer to you lot, and that isn't steam coming out of my ears! :lol: ALSO, if there are 9000 hits to this topic it must be my habit of editing what I write (NB Amongst other things I was a Print Editor for the Education Department for four years.) :whistle: :blush:

Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, allan, cobbadog, PaulFH

More
3 years 11 months ago #209812 by Zuffen
Is there any chance you could swap the springs from one side to another to gain an advantage due to the offset centre bolts?

More
3 years 11 months ago #209827 by PDU
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.610 seconds