Skip to main content

A was for Austin, but now B is for Bedford

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #209720 by Mrsmackpaul
:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

Isnt the human brain funny, we get a idea in our heads and am pretty sure it's gunna be right
Run it past a few jokers who probably have less of an idea than we do

Then our brains start playing tricks on us and if's, what's and maybe's start

Then badda bing, badda boom we are ready for the men in white suits to carry us away :silly: :silly:

Tiz all good and I would just carry on doing what you was doing and if it doesn't quite work right its not a huge job to get some springs custom made

If you paint it all chassis black when done is anyone apart from us gunna know or care

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Mrsmackpaul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, Lang, PDU

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #209721 by PDU
Thanks Paul, I needed that.

Although part of me says keep on going with it I also acknowledge the potential problems associated with continuing - and for what? I just paid for registration on my green Triumph, which is a great car to drive, but nowhere near as often as I used to drive it anymore, even though I enjoy it when I do. The sheer size, weight, and speed of the O type Bedford makes that another contender as a garage "filler" but would simply be easier to do. Kismet, it is fate, the world will continue to turn. :blush:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #209723 by Lang
PDU

As Paul says, you are doing SOMETHING. You are exercising your mind and hands, it is not sending you broke and you are having fun with a hobby that you enjoy.

What else would you be doing, watching Days of Our Lives or worse still having to tackle that growing list of jobs your wife has stuck on the fridge door?

I certainly have enjoyed your trials and tribulations. Just entertaining the herd on the forum has been a good community service in this time of restricted movement.

Thanks.

Lang
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PDU

More
3 years 11 months ago #209724 by JOHN.K.
I am not criticizing the build ,just saying save the spare springs......In fact Im of the opinion to never toss a truck chassis ,because they make a great store rack for diffs and tailshafts and stuff on pallets,and if you set them up on brick piers you can wippersnip under them(or spray with roundup).
The following user(s) said Thank You: PDU

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #209726 by Lang
PDU

Just had another thought for your caster angle.

Instead of trying to insert a wedge and upset all your current construction why don't you get a bit of plate the same size as your current extension plate, work out the angle you need and with 15 minutes on the linishing belt or even angle grinder taper it to the required slope.

Put the holes in for the u-bolts then you can just insert this above the existing plate without disturbing your system. It will actually make the extension stronger with increased thickness - it does not have to go to a knife-edge as it can be any thickness so long as the top surface is your preferred angle. Probably better thick so you can regrind for adjustment if required.

Lang
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Lang.

More
3 years 11 months ago #209727 by Morris
PDU,
Your Update was my first thought when you mentioned the project! Why re-invent the wheel? Obviously you are not scared of a project but is it worth the effort?
:

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #209730 by PDU
Phew, how boring laying in bed watching bloody Netflix, like Lang said, that's what I've been doing. :blush:

But I'm up and about now, another day, another dollar, and I'll get back to you after some further consideration. I am not a lost soul, just bruised. :lol:
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by PDU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 11 months ago #209733 by Lang
Morris

The safe ship never leaves the harbour.

I am a great believer in "because I can". Millions of people spend their lives collecting little 1" squares of paper and spend billions in the process but it occupies their minds, gives them a purpose and a whole social community interacts with the hobby. We are just big ants (with a large minority of slugs) and are never happier than when doing something and more so if we are actually creating something. It might be building for the future by coaching a kids football team or reinventing the wheel by combining two old Bedfords into a "new" vehicle,, because.

The classic case in our field of interest is the hot rod movement. A basically pointless hobby re-inventing the wheel with every feature almost 100% worse, particularly regarding whole package integration, than that on some existing production vehicle. Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder (not mine) but these blokes are learning, have unbelievably brilliant workmanship, have a large social community and most importantly with no two exactly the same have the satisfaction of producing something, for better or worse, with their mind and hands.

You have spent over 20 years and hundreds of hours in collecting bits and rebuilding your 6 wheel Morris. Many people would ask why spend all that effort on some old pommy truck that drives at walking pace and is of no use to man or beast? You have done a fantastic job with your dedication - doesn't it feel good to sometimes go to the shed and see your efforts?

I have no interest in post war Bedfords but have a lot of time for blokes like PDU so instead of discouraging him why not suggest he makes the wheel square to see if that works. It will certainly be a hell of a lot safer than a round wheel when you are parked on a hill.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Morris, PDU

More
3 years 11 months ago #209741 by 180wannabe
Hi PDU.

I don't think anyone is doubting your ability to make it work, i am just concerned you might spend a lot of time and effort and then not be able to register it (not easily), and use it, and enjoy it. And then if you ever wanted to move it on, also find it is not attractive to anyone else to take on in that form, for the same reason.

I am just offering my thoughts, from my own experiences. I wouldn't be in a hurry to part with the original chassis.

Brett.

More
3 years 11 months ago #209748 by mammoth
When you commented that you would go back to a standard O type my reaction was phew, thank god for that. There are quite a few K and M models about (mostly unrestored) but not many O types. So you have a rare truck anyway. It might be slow but still has that jenesaisquoi of the short bonnet that attracts attention of the general public.
The journey has been interesting and we have all learnt a bit.

Time to create page: 0.607 seconds